DiMarzio Super Distortion + PAF Pro

Discussion in 'Pickups' started by MetalSG, Nov 27, 2017.

1. MetalSG

MetalSG Active Member

Finally, after months trying to figure out a good pickup combination for my bolt on LTD Eclipse, I asked a guitar tech and he recommended me this pairing. As far as I know, it’s a popular one for bolt on neck guitars. They are the stock pickups in the current Charvel USA line. By Wednesday I should pick up my guitar. Can’t wait to hear how the new pickups sound!.

83 Blazer likes this.
  2. 83 Blazer

83 Blazer Well-Known Member

Hope you enjoy your new pickups. I highly rate the Dimarzios in my SG.

MetalSG likes this.
  3. MetalSG

MetalSG Active Member

Thanks. I was about to pull the trigger for the Evolution in the bridge position, and the tech told me that it might be a bit to bright for bolt on guitars. I once installed a D Activator in the bridge position of an alder body, bolt on maple neck guitar. Maybe it was the amp I had, but it was a bit too bright for my taste. So I decided to go for the Super Distortion. Two more days and I’ll be able to tell:D.

4. Semla

Semla New Member

I have to say that it is impossible to know beforehand. There are no pickups that sound good or bad, just different and especially considering what you are pairing it with. I’ve tried the super distortion as a bridge pickup in a Les Paul, a super strat and in two SGs. It sounds amazing in one of the SGs, but I didn’t like it in any of the other guitars. Sometimes it depends on obvious pickup-related reasons like the eq and output, sometimes the guitar is lacking something making the combination sound bland and dull. Sometimes is sounds awesome with one pedal-/amp combination and awful with others.

The SD is quite bass- and mid heavy. It needs to be paired with something dry. A Les Paul can some times have to much base if you don’t EQ your amp right. My best sound is a very snappy sounding and light SG, with the SD, using a treble booster into a slightly darker amp, and maybe with a little analog slapback delay. Also, I play with the tone control a bit turned down. You get that dry 70s Judas Priest tone!

MetalSG likes this.
  5. MetalSG

MetalSG Active Member

I will be able to tell soon. My guitar is made of Basswood, and the DiMarzio pickup selector recommends it for that particular tonewood. Gilbert, Satriani and Vai have all used PAF Pros in bolt on Basswood guitars, so it shouldn’t be a problem.

6. Bonzo21

Bonzo21 Active Member

I don't find the SD that bass heavy? I find it has treble for days (but maybe that's just my perception)! I have one in a korina Explorer and one in an alder Strat with maple neck at the moment...They both seem to have tons of treble and as much bass as a bridge pickup typically has...

MetalSG likes this.
  7. MetalSG

MetalSG Active Member

Indeed, but it’s not a shrill one. I just got my guitar today. And they do have mids!. Now I must look for better pots and capacitors. Any suggestions?.

8. Bonzo21

Bonzo21 Active Member

Yeah I'm a huge fan of that pickup for sure!

I'd go CTS or Bourns pots... and I like .033 caps POI (tubes) or the ones that look like chiclets (metal film caps), but that's not universal I imagine...

9. MetalSG

MetalSG Active Member

Thanks. Stew Mac sells a complete wiring kit with CTS and Switchcraft included. I could buy a 0.033 cap apart so I can decide if I like it better than the Orange drop 0.022 that comes with the kit

10. Bonzo21

Bonzo21 Active Member

Yeah those kits are nice. In terms of the caps, most people like .022 or lower for humbuckers because it sweeps slower (lose less treble as you turn). For some reason though, I like .033... I never go lower than 5ish on the tone pot, but I find good tones with a .033. Not enough to swap them out on all my guitars, but if I'm doing a pickup change or a full on rewire I usually go ahead and do the caps too...

11. MetalSG

MetalSG Active Member

Ok. Here are pictures of the tone pot (with a green capacitor); the switch and the volume pot. I have no idea about them, other than they are 500 kohms. The capacitor should be 0.022, but it doesn’t say anything. I will change everything with CTS/Switchcraft/Orange drop
    F5E52221-55C0-440A-BBE1-0676AE505E28.jpeg EA622819-8A38-46F9-A942-5D8A8D4431F2.jpeg A1952DAB-7EDF-4BB6-B7F7-FDF33ECF97AB.jpeg