DiMarzio Super Distortion pairing?

Discussion in 'Pickups' started by Morgan Colgrave, Nov 5, 2018.

1. Morgan Colgrave

Morgan Colgrave New Member

Looking for some recommendations. I currently have a Dimarizo super distortion in the bridge of my Epi 61 Lacquer series MIJ SG. looking for a nice neck to pair with it. The stock pickup is voiced a bit too warm in contrast.

Probably against any PAF style pickup as I have them in an LP & a hollow body.

2. bwotw

bwotw Well-Known Member

I have paired it with the the 36th Anniversary PAF, which is the go-to combo and it works. But my favourite pairing was the Super 2, a lower output Super D with less bass so there's no mud on the neck position. One of the best pickup combos I've ever had, and it was in an SG too. Totally brilliant, and they split great too.

Another combo that people seems to have good experiences with is SuperD with the Humbucker from Hell in the neck. I've always wanted to try that.

Chubbles likes this.
  3. AngelDeVille

AngelDeVille Well-Known Member

Another fukking Super Distortion!!!!!

You are welcome.

rotorhead likes this.
  4. Chubbles

Chubbles Well-Known Member

Yea, what he said. :lol:

I've been using SDs for decades. It was one of very few after market p/us in the 80s, always prominent in the catalogs and magazines.

5. Beery Swine

Beery Swine Member

lol, yeah, or maybe a Super 2. Slightly less output, different voice. There's also the FRED, the Air Zone and Air Norton, PAF Pro (don't think of it as a PAF). All good options while sticking with the DiMarzio company.
    Looks like bwotw already recommended the Super 2. Well, I'm glad I'm not the only one. Ad populum works when it comes to taste.

6. Semla

Semla Member

If you like how the super distortion sounds in the bridge, you would like the super 2 in the neck. It is not muddy but has matching output and level of compression. You can get great singing leads with it. Slightly less dynamic than ie PAF pro