Disabled parking placards.

Discussion in 'The Backstage' started by Biddlin, Aug 16, 2016.

1. Biddlin

Biddlin Well-Known Member

On another forum, far far away, someone posted a thread pondering the number of disabled placard abusers and posted the usual nonsense about he couldn't "see a disability" and "They all seem to drive nice cars," and the ever popular, " Well a guy I work with lost his foot as a kid and he plays nine holes of golf, so why does he need one?"
    As someone who has and uses such a placard, let me just say, "Butt out!" I am grossly offended when some yahoo makes a remark like "You don't look disabled." (Imagined response:You don't look like a cretinous douchebag, we're even.") "What's wrong with you?" (I lack impulse control, so when some unprepossessing blatherskite spews bilge, I am prone to thrusting my cane violently, until it finds its mark.) Yes, I've actually heard that crap from complete strangers.
    Now if you can't figure out why that's rude, look at it this way: You and your kid are at a ballgame and a complete stranger says to you, " He doesn't really look like you. Is he your son? I'd like to see some proof." Yeah, you'd be pissed. If you actually think someone is abusing the privilege, tell the local parking authority or cops. The fine for abusing them is big and they do enforce the law, but don't assume just because you can't see a disability that one isn't there. And challenge the disabled parker at your own risk. I don't micturate in your Malto-Meal, stay the hell out of mine.

wax, ScottMarlowe and Bullfrog like this.
  2. Bullfrog

Bullfrog Well-Known Member

I hear ya Biddlin. I wonder wtf is wrong with people all the time.

Handicap people aren't allowed to have nice cars? Wow! WTF!!!

It's a shame that closed minds don't come with closed mouths.

WavMixer and Biddlin like this.
  3. Goldmember

Goldmember Well-Known Member

I dig your riff, Bid.

Biddlin likes this.
  4. deMelo

deMelo Well-Known Member

Yeap. That sucks.

5. Raiyn

Raiyn Well-Known Member

Unfortunately, for everyone like Biddin who has a legit reason, there's five d-bags driving Grandma's car and using her placard when she's not in the car. Or some fat cow parking her heap on the ramp.

I dig what you're saying Biddin, I do and I leave it alone because I don't know for sure. Just like in the grocery stores (or Walmart) with the damn power scooters.

[​IMG]

Goldmember and JohnnyGoo like this.
  6. jtcnj

jtcnj Well-Known Member

Similar to what Raiyn says, I respect anyone with a legitimate need. I could probably qualify myself.
    It IS the huge number of abusers that really enrage me with their selfishness and laziness by taking a spot away from someone who needs it.

So while I understand your ire Bid, please understand most of us who do question it really are on your side.

7. skeeterbuck

skeeterbuck Active Member

I'm sure their are people taking advantage of the system. I'm just glad that I still have the ability to be able to walk without needing the handicap spaces. I also think that some that have a handicap permit only use then when they're having a "Bad Day" and park in the other areas the rest of the time.
    Life's too short for me to be concerned about such things.

8. Voxman

Voxman Moderator Staff Member

If they bother me I just tell em I could easily drop dead at any given moment, right in front of them! Anyway, all of the time all the handicapped spaces are usually taken

9. Biddlin

No, you don't know, but you go right ahead and spread the hate.

Bullfrog likes this.
  10. Biddlin

If you aren't disabled or don't need it, what business is it of yours? If I called in every car parked in a disabled space without a placard, I'd need more minutes on my cell plan. I figure maybe they forgot to put it up or didn't see the signage, I don't automatically assume they're inconsiderate lazy jerks. What is your problem?

Last edited: Aug 17, 2016
  11. Biddlin

Amen! That's a decent sense of propriety, right there, youngsters.

Bullfrog likes this.
  12. ScottMarlowe

ScottMarlowe Well-Known Member

So in March I had bowel resection surgery. I could barely move for about 3 weeks. Just sitting up was painful, and walking more than a few hundred feet felt like running a freaking marathon. I went to the grocery store and had my son go in and get me one of the scooty puff juniors. Hobbled onto it and road it around the store. AND GOT THE STARES OF DEATH from people who though I didn't need it.

Frak them, I needed it. The judgy mcjudgerson sh!t is what drives me nuts. People look at me, a middle aged guy who isn't overweight or missing a leg or something and immediately you could see them mentally calculating how terrible I was for riding on it. And my grocery store has like 6 of them, they weren't running out etc.

Biddlin likes this.
  13. jtcnj

jtcnj Well-Known Member

Fair enough.
    Its not my business.
    You posted your thoughts on an internet forum and I replied, respectfully I thought.
    Thank whoever pissed in your corn flakes today for me.

Raiyn and ScottMarlowe like this.
  14. pedecamp

pedecamp Well-Known Member

Biddly you old crank pot! It sucks but people are judgemental, I feel for you bro. Its my opinion that most people with placards need them, like anything else there's always scammers but I suspect they are the minority.

15. Kep

Kep Well-Known Member

What this thread is really about is not assuming the worst in your fellow man.

It's about not assuming things that we don't know for sure.

This is truly one of life's real challenges on a daily basis.

Like most things in life this is a two way street and to expect others to not do this to us we must also first not do this to others.

Think about it.

Bullfrog and wax like this.
  16. Biddlin

Not long ago, I was nearly run down in a crosswalk in broad daylight by a police car, that had turned against the light, while displaying no emergency lights nor blaring a siren, nay, nary a honk from the horn. The cop got out and started lecturing me about jaywalking and being aware. I gave him the thousand mile stare and started shaking at the knees slightly. In the spirit of service and protection, he yelled,"Watch out, OK?, and got back in the car and sped away. I sh*t you not.

frankd likes this.
  17. Biddlin

It really is the major social dis-function of our American life and it comes from the entire spectrum of ethnic and socioeconomic classification. I recently had the weird experience of taking crap from some protesters, who's cause I largely support btw, for being a greedy mother robbing 1%er, based on the car I was driving. As it happens, I was on my way to a meeting with my lawyer at the Claremont Resort in the Oakland hills, where the valet parked my old Lincoln Town Car in a far dark corner so as not to scare the Maybachs and Maseratis.

18. Biddlin

Do you "doubters" have nearly uncontrollable urges to shadow box in front of the blind or shoot a starter's pistol behind the deaf? They could be scammin' you, too.
    [​IMG]

19. smitty_p

smitty_p Well-Known Member

I tend to see Biddlin's point. I don't have his issue with disabled placards, but I do have a severely autistic son who is almost non-verbal. He's 18 years old, but I still need to hold his hand when walking through a store like I did when he was five. To just look at him, he looks normal, but his mannerisms are more similar to a toddler. Of course, sometimes he gets stares. After all, he looks like he should be driving, but he walks around clutching toys, like Woody from Toy Story, as if he were elementary age. There are also odd vocalizations that get stares.

I'm not really offended...I know people can't just "tell" he's autistic. But, I am conscious of what's happening.

By the way, if you ever encounter a special needs kid, just smile and say, "Hi." If the child is with his/her mother, you may just bring her to tears for seeing her child treated with human respect.

Bullfrog, JohnnyGoo, Biddlin and 3 others like this.
  20. alexander paul

alexander paul Well-Known Member

when i visited my parents on the left coast they wanted me to use their card & would argue with me... i'd drop them off @ the door & say your even closer & i can easily walk the distance... some people would be better off worrying about themselves...

[​IMG]

Raiyn and smitty_p like this.