Distortion!

Discussion in 'Effects' started by rustyfretboard, Dec 17, 2005.

1. rustyfretboard

rustyfretboard New Member

Anyone here tried those new Vox Cooltron tube distortion pedals. I'm thinking about getting one, but I can't decide between one type of the Vox pedals or a Electro Harmonix English Muff'n. Any thoughts?

2. Lex Lurid

Lex Lurid Guest

Yup.....tried a "Brit Boost". Now at that time I was using a Fender Deluxe Reverb OK? It was awful! :cry: I really disliked what it did and returned it about 2 days later. I have since switched Amps and found that it was marginally better with EL34s, but not what I wanted at all. A Mate swears by his "Big Ben Overdirve" and really rates it, I have heard it and admit that it does a great job....for what he wants, but I once again had trouble getting what I wanted.

The trouble is that as in everything to do with Guitars and us Players...... It's all so subjective. You for instance mught try either one and wonder what on earth I was talking about?

Personally...Not for me, (but then....I'm not a Fan of The Big Muff either) The English Muffin sounds OK from the clips I have heard, but I have found that which gives me what I want, so I'm possibly being very Biased? IF...you can find a "Blackstone Overdrive" it's certainly worth a try.

Pip Pip
    Lexie ;)

3. Voxman

Voxman Moderator Staff Member

The very new and yet to be released Vox "Over the Top Boost" is the newest and the 4th in that series of pedals! It puts the others to shame IMHO but I would try it first ... I've tried them all and the "OTTB" was a shinging star!

http://www.voxamps.co.uk/

4. Lex Lurid

Lex Lurid Guest

Interesting Comment Voxy ;)
    So spill the Beans Mon Frere, what did you try it through and a general "overall" impression would be good too.......if I may make so bold?

Pippity Pip
    Snarkety Snark
    Lexie :)

5. vic108

vic108 Well-Known Member

[quote author=Voxman link=topic=5633.msg71904#msg71904 date=1134831554]
    yet to be released Vox "Over the Top Boost"
    I've tried them all and the "OTTB" was a shinging star!
    [/quote]

Voxy's inside skinny!!

Yeah, that SNAKE CHARMER COMPRESSOR looks cool too!
    http://www.voxamps.co.uk/products/pedals/cooltron.htm

6. Voxman

Just got a "Sweetwater" catalogue in the mail today and both the compressor and Over the Topboost were available! First place I've seen them now! Well Lexy ... the other 3 pedals didn't work at all for me at all but they worked for others so ..... BUT the OTTB gave me that feeling in the pit of my stomach right away so based on that I knew. Maybe because I'm now very used to JMI AC30's Topboosts but I got a lot out of the OTTB that I loved! TRY FIRST!

[​IMG]

7. Lex Lurid

Lex Lurid Guest

Voxy?
    I have just listened to and Read the Reviews in this months Guitarist. Their comment on the OTTB was that "In THEIR opinion" it was slightly lacking in Bottom End? Would you care to comment?

Pip Snark,Pip
    Lexie :)

8. Voxman

I'd need to listen to it again .... I have that issue of Guitarist also, but due to Christmas and whatnot haven't read that part yet! There was so much stuff I was trying that day I can't recall the setup I had ... I believe it was in a real JMI AC15 which can already have tremendous bass depending if you have the cut control engaged or not! And I know none of the newer Boutique JMI copy/clones are a hair on the arse of the working older original JMI's ... so I shouldn't of used it like that, as JMI AC15's go for almost 3.5K now and no one will sell one anyway's ! Someday I'll get out of that 50/60/70's amp abyss but nothing sounds better to my ears yet :roll: hence since newer amps and especially recent production tubes respond differently than older I can see my opinion of what I heard might very well be flawed if tried under different parameters.

9. Voxman

Sadily LexSebag, the British Mags take 2 to 3 weeks to reach the stores here in the US so I don't have access to the Guitarist issue as of yet!

10. vic108

vic108 Well-Known Member

Voxy, maybe it got stuck into the middle of your copy of this months "ECONOMIST"?

(hey do they still publish "MAYFAIR". THE UK men's mag back in the day...?)

11. Lex Lurid

Lex Lurid Guest

Er........... (mumble, mumble, snort)

I couldn't Possibly Comment. ;)

Mayfair? Wasn't that a Brand of Cigarette? Or was it somewhere on a Monopoly Board? :coolsmiley:

Snark, Snark
    Woof Woof

Lexie ;)

12. Voxman

No Victorish cause instead of reading "ECONOMIST" I throw darts at the financial pages of the wall street journal and wherever it hits Invest from there! Do it every year and at the very worst I always matched the experts predictions but usually easily out perform all those wankers with doctorates and their advice! Go figure! ;)

13. Guitarist_22

Guitarist_22 Member

my advice would be don't buy anything made by electro-harmonix, they are, in my opinion, absolute CRAP, i've had about 5 of their pedals, buying more thinking that they would be better than the last, I had a Big Muff, 2 Small Stones, and 2 Holy Grails that all just stopped working 2-3 months after i bought them, and for no reason, never dropped water or hurt them in anyway all my other pedals are still working great just not those, I would go for the Fulltone Distortion Pro, the Fulltone Full Drive 2, the Fulltone OCD, I know i talked about those pedals alot but Mike is a great guy and he makes great pedals with TRUE BYPASS, Invest a few bucks and use what us pros use.