Do You Consider Yourself A Gibson Guy?

Discussion in 'Other Guitars' started by NMA, Mar 17, 2019.

1. NMA

NMA Well-Known Member

Chevy guy, Ford guy...that tribalism also is apparent with guitars.

Being that this is a Gibson SG forum, do you consider yourself a fan of (or owner of) numerous Gibson guitars? Is Gibson your favorite guitar manufacturer? Are you a Gibson guy.

Me?

I have one Gibson guitar - the SG. I prefer bright trebly sounds and I get that from Rickenbackers and Fenders, which I own a number of. No doubt my Gibson is one hell of a guitar. Exquisitely made. Beautiful. A professional level musical instrument. But it isn't enough to move me into the Gibson guy camp. No desire for a Les Paul. (I will admit I do want a Flying V to satisfy my Glam Rock yearnings. Air guitar Flying V is just not cutting it any longer.)

Is Gibson your favorite guitar maker? Are you a Gibson guy?

arcticsg likes this.
  2. papagayo

papagayo Well-Known Member

I' m 95% a Gibson guy and I' m 100% anti - chinese copies.

Image temp 5464.jpg

[​IMG]

DanB, Robus and arcticsg like this.
  3. Gahr

Gahr Well-Known Member

I have five Gibson guitars and two Gibson amps, so yes, I guess i'm a Gibson guy. Ever since I started playing guitar, Gibsons had a special place in my heart. They look great, I like how they sound, and I like how they feel. Not that I don't think other guitars are good enough, I just like Gibsons. I feel good playing Gibsons, they inspire me, and most of my favorite guitarists play Gibsons.

fos1 and arcticsg like this.
  4. arcticsg

arcticsg Well-Known Member

Im a Gibson guy for the most part. If I could only have one guitar, it'd be a Gibson SG. It's not so much the brand as it is the model. And I like the best manufacturer of that model.

So I guess it's more like I'm a "Gibson SG" and "Fender Stratocaster" guy, lol

Last edited: Mar 17, 2019
    DanB, koaguilds and fos1 like this.
  5. fos1

fos1 Member

My first guitar was a cherry red Gibson SG, circa early to mid 70s. I also had an Ovation acoustic and a very nice Alvarez White Eagle banjo.

If I were limited to one Guitar, it would definitely be a Gibson SG. I have always wanted a Gibson Mastertone banjo. That hasn't happened yet.

My second choice would be a Strat which I have but the SG will always be first and best.

arcticsg likes this.
  6. plankton

plankton Well-Known Member

I don't own any Gibsons, but I do prefer Gibson-style guitars, especially the SG.

I like the style, both ergonomically and aesthetically. I like the control layout and the sound you get from them.

So I guess I'm a Gibson copy guy. :thumb:

Worblehat likes this.
  7. Bad Penguin

Bad Penguin Active Member

I currently own 3 Gibsons A 73 SG, a 78 L6S, and an 80 Sonex. (hangs head in shame.) I have always owned Gibson styled copies, but I would not call myself a Gibson guy. I am an Ibanez head, and fly the Ibanez flag proudly. (I have 12 of them.) And am an follower of Uncle Matt. (8 as of today.) While I love the scale and tone of a Gibson, I don't believe they are worth the 10Xs plus price tag over other guitars.

8. Dale

Dale Well-Known Member

I never did... I seem to be moving that way. I must reluctantly say probably most yes. Probably 95% anyway.

9. Thumpalumpacus

Thumpalumpacus Well-Known Member

I've only owned 3 Gibbys, but I've always considered myself a Gibson Guy; when I imagine myself playing lines over a track, almost every one is a Gibson-sounding axe through a sweating amp. Humbucker or P-90, doesn't matter, they scratch that itch.

I don't own a Gibson now, but my go-to is an Ibanez 335 copy. Gibson scale-length, Gibson tones (and more than just a 335!), and body for days -- both sonically and wearing it, lol, it's like strapping on an aircraft-carrier compared to my old SGs.

Every so often I love me a Strat, and that's the only other guitar that I really hear in my head clearly.

So yes, I'm a Gibson Guy.

fos1 likes this.
  10. GrumpyOldDBA

GrumpyOldDBA Well-Known Member

I have had a couple of Strats but both are departed.

Lots of fine Epiphone and Gibson guitars.

Any guitar that you like and you play and you enjoy is a good guitar. If it makes you happy then it's a great guitar.

DanB, Col Mustard and fos1 like this.
  11. Didds

Didds Well-Known Member

Absolutely. And to a greater extent, I'm an SG guy. Don't get me wrong, I absolutely love telecasters. But SGs are the only guitars I feel truly comfortable on. I can't get my style of playing out of any other guitar

Thumpalumpacus and arcticsg like this.
  12. pancake81

pancake81 Well-Known Member

You bet, love them. Love all guitars, but Gibson and SG especially, have a special place for me.

Many moons ago, when I was 18, I got an SG tattoo when I was traveling abroad in Australia. So I hope I never lose my lust for them, I would have to do the ex girlfriend thing, where I cross out SG and write the next guitar of my dreams lol

Thumpalumpacus and arcticsg like this.
  13. papagayo

papagayo Well-Known Member

14. Biddlin

Biddlin Well-Known Member

Gibsons and Epis dominate my remuda. I have a Fender, a Takamine, a Dean, a Harmony, but sometimes: Only a Gibson is Good Enough!

arcticsg likes this.
  15. PixMix

PixMix Active Member

I try to not develop those kinds of attachments with brands, and that includes guitar makers. Currently I own seven Gibson guitars, fewer Fenders and some other ones (F-based parstcasters too). While Gibson tone is something I really like and have always liked, what my Telecaster or Jazzmaster can do, my Les Paul can only dream about, and the other way around.

SG standard, arcticsg and Sweetums like this.
  16. Chuteboxehero

Chuteboxehero Active Member

Since I've started accumulating guitars over the past few years, I've noticed a preference for Gibson's. For me, one Tele is enough but I wouldn't think twice about buying another SG of a year or trim level I don't have. I can't say I feel that way about any other brand. There's something about the Les Paul and SG and all of the oddball variants that keeps me looking constantly to see what I'll come across next .

DanB likes this.
  17. Col Mustard

Col Mustard Well-Known Member

I grew up about 100 miles (160 km) from Kalamazoo, so there's
    a kind of local loyalty that colors my answer.

So yes, I'm a Gibson guy (I own three)
    3 Gibsons@100.jpg
    But I'm also a Fender guy, and a Martin guy, and recently I became an
    Epiphone guy.

Let's face it, I'm a guitar slut. I like them all, and I play them all.
    Except the pointy ones, I don't get it about those. I was deep in the
    acoustic thing when all that was going on. I paid zero attention to all
    the shredding and shrieking.

So let's not say I lack discernment or discrimination.
    Let's just say I've been able to turn my fantasies into preferences.
    And I'm very grateful for that. There are plenty of Gibsons I don't
    care for and would never buy. But the three that I own are
    top quality professional instruments, and they've all paid for themselves.

A typical stage setup for me would include a Gibson, a Martin and a
    Fender. Hard to beat. I need the variance of tones for my style.
    work station 2018@100.jpg
    Also, when ya got it, flaunt it eh? It's part of the show.
    Note that NONE of my instruments are top level fancy-shmancy instruments. The most valuable one is that bass on the right,
    but I only paid $100 for that, back in 1972. I recently sold it for
    considerably more than that, feeling that my newer instruments were
    doing the job almost as well, and weren't likely to get me targeted
    by guitar rustlers.

My two SGs in the photo at top were about $600 each (onsale)
    when I bought them. No $4000 Les Pauls for me... I'm not THAT MUCH
    of a Gibson guy. No $4000 Martins either... that humble XC1T on the
    left is a very versatile working guitar. I'm sure I've made hundreds of
    dollars playing it.

So I just don't understand when guys say they only like one kind of
    tone, or they only like one kind of guitar neck, or they only like one
    kind of music. I just don't get that, and usually feel sorry for the ones
    with the closed minds. A closed mind is nothing to be proud of.

And it makes me wonder... how could you NOT be a Gibson fan.
    Gibson makes some of the best guitars in the world. So does Fender,
    and so does Martin and Paul Reed Smith, and Taylor and L'Arrivee.
    And the other brands mentioned... But Gibson is right up there. If you
    close your mind to the Gibson tone (or to the others), you're missing something very important, IMHO.
    five electrics@100 sm.jpg

Lunacy the Faded likes this.
  18. jtees4

jtees4 Active Member

I consider Gibson my favorite guitar brand, though I like others too....even some cheaper imports like Schecter. I am an old guy. My first real guitar was a '66 Non Reverse Firebird which I got from Andy Shernoff (Dictators)...it was well used, trem was removed, Badass bridge. I changed the tuners to mini Schallers (popular at the time). I gigged with that guitar for many years. I've always felt at home with a Gibson ever since...these days I am an SG guy. And it makes sense, the SG is very similar in construction and feel to a non reverse Firebird. And these days, I prefer humbuckers, P90's are too noisy for me.

Col Mustard likes this.
  19. Steve D

Steve D Well-Known Member

I played an old Gibson SG all through high school in the 80s and early 90s and into the late 90s when I sold it off. Somewhere along the line I had decided that if strats were good enough for Hendrix, Clapton, Stevie Ray, etc then they were good enough for me and so I parted with my SG. God, what a mistake. The strat and I never really clicked the same way. Eventually I put it away for years and years.

I just bought a new 2018 model SG Special. I feel like I've come home. Definitely a Gibson guy, just lost my way for a while.

20. Bob Womack

Bob Womack Active Member

I've sat on a reply for a bit.

I'm something of a non-joiner, if you know what I mean. I play whatever guitar the song needs. But my first really good electric back in 1977 was a Les Paul Standard I bought as I was trying out for what became a major band. That guitar was my only electric for twenty years. I've added other guitars as I've grown into the session work, mostly because I had too.

But truth be told, I'm sitting here in the studio with a Gibson coffee mug by my hand. When I go in my guitar studio and pick an electric to play some lead guitar for myself, to express myself, for therapy or a cathartic release, it is a Gibson. Not because Mr. Fender got it wrong, but because I spent so many years working out on a Gibson that it is definitely home base - the place where I don't have to think, the playing just flows out.

So, by default would I call myself a Gibson guy. If I could make the others feel and sound like a Gibson I'd choose them, too.

Bob

Col Mustard, Gahr and Biddlin like this.