Do you use ear plugs when playing live?

Discussion in 'Lessons & Techniques' started by Kerry Brown, Sep 10, 2015.

1. lineboat

lineboat Well-Known Member

Try some different styles and see what works for you. And use them!

I'm 37, and have been working in loud environments full time and then some for over 20 years. The last 10 has been 12-18 hour days listening to 10,000 hp engines scream. I fail every hearing test I take, and I've worn some of the best hearing protection on the market.

Hearing loss is irreversible. Use something.

2. zisme

zisme Well-Known Member

i actually scheduled an appointment with an audiologist later this month. going to get checked out and fitted for custom earplugs. i'm curioius to see what, if any kind of damage i've done over the years.

in the meantime, i'm still using the hearos

3. Robby

Robby New Member

Never used them but wish i had. At 47 i'm now classed as deaf by the audiologist i saw last week. Apparently ive learned to lip read as the damage progressed through the years. I can still hear people but struggle in crowds and my guitar is the only thing i hear clearly nowdays.
    Been looking at these to protect whatever is left http://www.etymotic.com/mp915.html Have bought the standard non electric type a while back but got annoyed after chasing good tone only to have the high end muffled in a band situation.

4. Biddlin

Biddlin Well-Known Member

I use foam plugs. In the old days, I had to settle for wadded-up tissue paper.
    ;>)/

5. Dave_Death

Dave_Death Well-Known Member

God, this sounds like me. Maybe I should get a hearing test

6. Dave_Death

Dave_Death Well-Known Member

OK I did this online test and I was surprised to get 78%, which is a lot better than I expected and only 'mild'

Robby if you can take this test and let me know the results maybe we will have a better idea of how reliable it is. I often have trouble discerning conversation from background noise so I thought I would be much worse.

http://www.audioclinic.com.au/online-hearing-test/

7. zisme

zisme Well-Known Member

i just had my appointment with the audiologist. very nice woman, and it turns out she works in the same office park as me - so that's convenient.

apparently i aced my hearing test. no problems whatsoever 0-10b. good hair follicle response.

i'm really quite surprised. with the number of concerts i've walked out of hearing the hiss and after playing in rock bands for nearly 10 years, i was fully expecting some kind of damage.

i asked her about the effectiveness of hearos and the like, and she said the main concern was the fit and making sure they make an effective seal. she didn't have anything bad to say other than that - so i guess they are still a good protection/filtering option.

i still went ahead and got molds done for some Westone filtering ear plugs. cleaned some wax out in the process - again, not nearly as bad as i thought it would be. i have a nice curve to my ear canal, so the doc doesn't expect i'll have trouble with them working their way out during a show. should be ready in 2 weeks give or take if Thanksgiving doesn't delay them.

all in all, well worth the visit. very relieved about not having any damage, and looking forward to the new plugs!

dbb likes this.