Don't know what I'm doing and need input

Discussion in 'Effects' started by living room rocker, Oct 19, 2018.

1. living room rocker

living room rocker Member

I'm barely past the basics of guitar playing and completely think I'm better served to continue to practice practice practice (which I do daily).........but I can't just stop there. I've caught the bug and wanna expand on my new found passion. This week I'll pore over Sweetwater's amp page drooling over modeling amps.....next week it'll prolly be the tube amps. Pure goofiness I'll admit, but my bet is many of you have been there as well. Having experimented with a couple of modeling amps and enjoying their presets (except heavy metal.......yuck), I've firmly established my default go to tones are tight defined Fender-esque cleans. My question.......if I purchase an amp that primarily produces clean tones (i.e, Fender), which SINGLE pedal type (I'm a long way from wanting a pedal board) would I choose to produce the classic/southern rock crunch at lower than crazy volumes. I read and research your terminology but am still ignorant. What is the best single effect I'd want to expand the capability of a primarily clean amp......gain, overdrive, distortion, compression, boost?

Didds likes this.
  2. syscokid

syscokid Well-Known Member

I do have some cork-sniffing in my blood, but I'm going to suggest two overdrive pedals that not only sound and perform great, but are very inexpensive... CHEAP!!!!

First one is the discontinued Digitech Bad Monkey. This is a Tubescreamer-based pedal. A good friend of mine has the Bad Monkey, and I have always been very impressed with this pedal. Used prices range from $25 to $50:

bad_monkey_front_large.jpg

The second one, is the Mooer Rumble Drive. This one is a clone of the Hermida Audio Zendrive (Dumble amp in a box). I personally have this one, and the boutique Zendrive. It's scary in how good this little and more affordable pedal is compared to the Zendrive. $70 new:

2018-10-19 08.51.38.png

Do your research on these two. You'll be pleasantly surprised... :fingersx:

living room rocker likes this.
  3. iblive

iblive Well-Known Member

+1 on the Bad Monkey. Have one on my board. Works and sounds great. And as mentioned way cheap.

4. plankton

plankton Well-Known Member

I can't help you with your question as I don't use any overdrive/distortion pedals, preferring to get that from my amp. The only "drive" pedals I have are fuzzes and boosts.

But, I will make a prediction that in six months you'll have at least a half dozen pedals and be thinking about putting a board together. ;)

It happens to us all. :rofl:

5. Bad Penguin

Bad Penguin Active Member

Duncan Lava box. Picked up one for 25 bucks, and it's been a staple since I bought it. A 6 position switch that allows you tailor the drive to the pickups you use, nice idea. You can see them from 40 bucks on feebay.

6. plankton

I just re-read your post and was wondering what amp you're using currently. Or are you thinking of getting one soon? The amp you have will affect which drive pedals will sound better and give you what you want.

If you're looking at modelling amps there's plenty that will offer the Fender cleans you like in addition to some great driven sounds. So you may not need a pedal at all.

7. Didds

Didds Well-Known Member

Maxon OD-9. Not exactly cheap but a great overdrive

8. living room rocker

living room rocker Member

I waffle weekly Mr. Plankton. Col Mustard recently recommended that barring any gigging aspirations a solid state modeler was adequate and Dr. B Good suggested a small Fender modeling tuber called the Super Champ. Great advice from both men and like yourself speak from considerable experience. Started on a Fender Champion 20 modeler, swapped to my son's Vox VT20X modeler recently; enjoy most voicings for a short, occasional tone change but default to Fenderesque cleans for practice and noodling. Given my conservative nature, I'll live with an upcoming amp purchase for awhile; pardon my ignorance but this is the reason behind so many questions to you experienced players. My well respected luthier recommends going tuber for tone quality and the claim they're repairable vs a disposable nature of solid state circuitry. My head spins.....will prolly be willing to invest around 1K +/-. This week's parameters.....Fender quality cleans, reverb, 3 pot eq desired I think, 15 - 60 watts, and finally whatever term you men use to describe an occasional launch to the southern rock type crunch (drive, gain, distortion, fuzz, compression?).

9. plankton

Finding the right amp can be tough. I agree that tube amps can have superior tone under the right conditions, but some of the modelling amps today can be just as good and respond the way a tube amp would while also allowing greater flexibility.

Tube amps can be fine for quieter home use, but you'll need one that has the option of putting out 5w or less. Most tube amps will only sound their best when you can open them up and let the power tubes sing. On the 15w setting with the master volume halfway up my Laney Cub is really loud. Even on the <1w setting it can get pretty loud. If you're in a situation where you need to be quieter then a modelling amp will actually provide you with better tone, IMO.

If you decide to go tube, and if Fender cleans are the sound for you, then check out any Fender (or copy) that fits your parameters. Then a good overdrive that pairs well with a Fender's tone like a Tube Screamer or Blues Driver will give you that crunch you want.

But as I will always say, get into some shops and play as many amps as you can till you find yours.