Dots on the Neck

Discussion in 'Gibson SG' started by brazilnut, Jul 15, 2019.

1. brazilnut

brazilnut Active Member

Took my new to me 2000 Special to the gig this Friday. What a heavenly neck, and killer tone out of those old pickups. I was in seventh heaven, until the room lights went down. Then I dropped a couple clams...I couldn't see the pearl dots on that ebony board fast enough. Those big trapezoids have their uses, yes they do! Guess I'll have to get used to using the side dots more. Wonder what the learning curve's gonna be? Dang it. IMG_9124.JPG

Dallaz, Dale and koaguilds like this.
  2. brazilnut

brazilnut Active Member

Guess I could paint em white. Any other suggestions? Get new eyes? Mine are worn out. I guess I could just sell it....#@!!

3. cerebral gasket

cerebral gasket Well-Known Member

Fluorescent dots.

Last edited: Jul 15, 2019
    brazilnut and Voxman like this.
  4. Tony M

Tony M Well-Known Member

Work on not looking at the fingerboard.
    In about a week you'll be OK even in
    pitch darkness.

5. Voxman

Voxman Moderator Staff Member

I did that too, play in the dark , it really helps and in the dark you can also hone your other senses!

6. brazilnut

brazilnut Active Member

Really? Just a week?

7. Col Mustard

Col Mustard Well-Known Member

yes... just practice, and don't look at the fretboard.
    look at the audience, man...
    Groupies-.jpg
    Even if ya only pretend they're out there...

But I know what you're saying... I play a fretless bass,
    and I have to have 'sissy lines" on it because we don't always get good sound, so I have to be able to see it as well as hear it. And sometimes the stage lighting is such that I can't see the side dots either, because of reflection off the neck or it's just too dark. Then I'm like,
    ...bend it in... but I fall back on what I've practiced.

Dale, brazilnut and DaveInSoCal like this.
  8. DaveInSoCal

DaveInSoCal Active Member

If you want that audience these days, better learn to play country :rofl:

9. Tony M

Tony M Well-Known Member

Country...
    I wish I was even half as good as Vince Gill or Brent Mason.

Last edited: Jul 16, 2019
    Col Mustard, fos1, Dale and 1 other person like this.
  10. Tony M

Tony M Well-Known Member

Music starts at 3:05.
    Guitar solo at 5:20.

Dave, koaguilds, fos1 and 3 others like this.
  11. Tony M

Tony M Well-Known Member

Music starts 30 seconds in.

fos1 and brazilnut like this.
  12. brazilnut

brazilnut Active Member

Oh, well, Vince Gill, Brent Mason, Paul Franklin on the pedal steel [I think that's his name], and a great keyboard player. But I notice Vince was really watching the fretboard....course, as fast as his fingers were flying, I don't know what he could really see....Thanks for the concert, Tony.

Col Mustard, fos1 and Dale like this.
  13. Paul G.

Paul G. Well-Known Member

They don't want that good stuff, they want that "Bro" country. Some hairy baritone hunk in a hat, singing monotone "songs" about trucks, beer and love.

Bad rock with twang. If that stuff is playing in the coffee shop, I get mine to go.

14. Voxman

Vince gill always said " you have to be careful in Nashville because the guy pumping ya gas can play rings around you " or " the waiter is 10x's better than you are " … Large pond, small fish … while he's famous for geetar playing n singing!

Dave and Col Mustard like this.
  15. DaveInSoCal

DaveInSoCal Active Member

I just started playing in my first country band, auditioned 2 weeks ago first gig tonight. I've been playing in rock bands all my life and really prefer to listen to progressive metal.

But, you have to give the people what they want, and right now they want new country. Easy gig for a rock guitarist, 90% of the songs have 3 - 4 chords and most lead parts are in the pentatonic scale.

It kind of reminds me of the 80's all over again but country instead of hair metal, Nashville instead of Hollywood, hot girls in boots and shorts instead of ripped jeans and high heels.
    Strat's and Tele's instead of Jackson's and Charvell's.

I'll ride this wave for a while and try to learn to like country! :D

everdying, Col Mustard and brazilnut like this.
  16. brazilnut

brazilnut Active Member

Been playing pedal steel since I was a nipper. Learned to play the electric guitar in my 20's. Played in country and country rock bands my whole adult life, but I'd rather play R & B and funk, or jazzy blues. Mostly we play rock these days, throw in a little George Benson or Steely Dan, some Al Green when nobody's lookin'. IMG_8760.JPG

Col Mustard and Paul G. like this.
  17. Col Mustard

Col Mustard Well-Known Member

I like a lot of different kinds of music, and really feel no boundaries between
    them... All the 'categories" and "genres" seem like a pile of B.S. to me.
    Music is music. If people have a good time out there, I don't care what category
    they might imagine I'm in.

I'm sure that's why I ain't rich. But music has been good to me, and I have no
    regrets. Just came from watching the Elton John movie, and it seemed like it was
    from some other planet. I've done my share of decadent deeds, but nothing like
    what was implied in that movie. *shrugs

Maybe that's why I've still got my health, after decades on the road. *grins
    One thing that doesn't get stressed enough: a musician needs to learn how to
    take care of himself, or herself. There's a lot of pitfalls out there, and if you're
    in it for the long haul, you have to be an artful dodger.

AND you have to keep your eye on the audience, and not get lost in the
    finger dance. If you play to them, it's very effective.

brazilnut and Tony M like this.
  18. brazilnut

brazilnut Active Member

Well, Colonel, I've always been the cigar store Indian type of player, hiding behind the mains while I play my heart out with my face glued to the fingerboard. Sometimes I even forget to breath, I swear. I've got the stage presence of a particularly ugly hatstand...but I do play good stuff, I guess, cause bands keep hiring me.

Biddlin and Col Mustard like this.
  19. rotorhead

rotorhead Well-Known Member

It worked fine for Mick Taylor and many others ;)

brazilnut likes this.
  20. Voxman

I don't hear that, All these " boundaries " are not really boundaries but approaches and techniques used to play within the "history " of the style. Ok, Country started out with a Tele, and that's a whole slew of certain pinpoint stylistic techniques! Tele's as other style's within each johdra of music label, have their own esoteric moves common to the style. Real country in the 50's and 60's used lots of open strings wherever they can find a run that you would never to think of using within other styles, called cascades and cross picking , you also play just in front of the beat but still with perfect timing. You use a lot of cascading, crossed picked, runs with pick and fingers which are a staple of the style. You use double and triple stops and mimic the bends of a pedal steel guitar approach. And don't forget chicken picking!
    Now blues you play just a little " behind the beat " , but again, still in time. One uses 1/4 step and 1/8 step bends which are just between each 1/2 steps on the guitar neck. You bend strings a lot but with a completely different approach to the sounds. Bends in country have to be perfectly in tune where as blues that's not necessary as it does not sound wrong in the style. Funk uses ambiguous{sic} jazz chords, Fourths, Elevenths and 6/9 with a right hand that outlines different off the beat rhythm chord stabs with either a muted scratch or, not, depending on what the song calls for while keeping a constant 16th note right hand pattern.
    Reggae a style of popular music with a strongly a accented 2 and 4 subsidiary beat. Latin music is another one, you do not get in the way of the piano rhythm theme figure.
    Point is yes they can overlap a bit fer sure but if you overlap too much then your not playing the intended style! I didn't do metal or hard rock, pop, top 40 and a slew of others. Jazz, each chord can that 12 different names for the same fingering depending on where your going with the harmony. For example this fingering …. of ( A9+5) G,C#,F, B in 5th position played on beat, then the same fingering on the next beat can be ( E flat9 #5 ", sorry for that last example. So I'm not sure I'm not overthinking it. I've been doing it 53 years, and I never stopped doing it since each time I pickup the instrument I still learn something new and each day , especially now I still do a little more than the previous day!

Biddlin and brazilnut like this.