Dramatic neck change

Discussion in 'Epiphone SG' started by living room rocker, Mar 3, 2019.

1. living room rocker

living room rocker Member

Wow, learned first hand how rapid climate change affects a guitar neck. I'm an Illinoisan; our winters are typically cold with low indoor humidity. Took a trip to Florida for two weeks and had really warm outdoor temps and a hotel room w/cranked air conditioning. Within two days of arriving, my axe was unplayable; fretted out on the two closest to the nut. I had my string action set really low and it took loosening the truss rod nearly 3/4 turn over two days to make it playable. I'm back home now re-acclimating in the other direction; basically performing a total setup. I suppose this is a routine task for professional bands touring the country.

Last edited: Mar 3, 2019
  2. donepearce

donepearce Well-Known Member

London, helping a friend design a knitting machine
    That was a pretty extreme change of climate and it would probably not have stopped changing for a couple of weeks. Build yourself a sauna so you can put your guitar in there for a month or so before your next trip :rofl:

3. living room rocker

Something I've noticed since back has me concerned though. Obviously, loosening or tightening the truss rod nut has always been met with some resistance when turning the nut either direction. I've always reduced string tension prior to adjusting the rod. There is now however about 1/4 of a turn in between tightening and loosening the nut that has practically no resistance at all. Truss rod stuck maybe, or slow to acclimate? I've always been careful not to exert big pressure when adjusting.

Last edited: Mar 3, 2019
  4. donepearce

donepearce Well-Known Member

London, helping a friend design a knitting machine
    The nut should be fairly easy to turn. If it isn't, a squirt of WD40 might fix it.

living room rocker likes this.
  5. DrBGood

DrBGood Well-Known Member

It's normal to have a dead spot in the middle of the rod adjustment. That's when the neck is under no tension.

I do that kind of tweaking twice a year. The wooded valley where I live is humid enough in summer, that we don't have to water the garden and so is the house with windows openend. Winter comes with wood stove heating that dries eveything to the bone in the house, me included.

6. living room rocker

Glad to know that!

DrBGood likes this.
  7. living room rocker

Since back, I've set string action height to Gibson specs. Six months ago, on a whim, I set string action well below spec and thought "what the heck, if it doesn't buzz I'll try it" (I read Biddlin's post on setup). I liked the super low action but noticed how easy it was for the smaller strings to slip under my ring finger when bending notes. Now that I'm back to specs, seems like it requires a little more effort to fret a note. I'm gonna lower the action once I'm confident it's acclimated back to a normal climate.

DrBGood likes this.
  8. Thumpalumpacus

Thumpalumpacus Active Member

You've probably worked off the newness of the threads on the rod with the adjustments you've been making, and they're working easier, would be my guess. I'm assuming that the rod works normally otherwise?

9. cerebral gasket

cerebral gasket Well-Known Member

In some states, the weather changes so much that we get all four seasons in one week.

arcticsg and living room rocker like this.
  10. DrBGood

More and more. In the past week, the temperature has varied of more than 15°C within a few hours. Like -20° at six in the morning to -4°C at noon. Can be hard on my body thermostat, when I have to be on the ski slopes all day.

11. Kraftybob

Kraftybob Member

I'm a fellow Illinoisan and I find I have to setups on my guitars twice a year - summer/winter. For the most part it's not extreme adjustments, but just enough to compensate for the drier winters vs humid summers.

The section of nut with no resistance is likely just the play between the nut and the rod. When your tension is going in one direction, and then you change the other way, there's a little bit of play in the nut.

12. DrBGood

My SG just told me that I heat the house less. I'll have to truss rod it a bit.

13. papagayo

papagayo Well-Known Member

You need a carbon kevlar composite guitar ;)

Biddlin likes this.
  14. Biddlin

Biddlin Well-Known Member

[​IMG]
    This might be more stable!

15. GrumpyOldDBA

GrumpyOldDBA Well-Known Member

Ummm do you do something to keep reasonable humidity in room or case where guitar is?

Even for electrics cold and dry is a really bad combo for neck and fretboard.