Dream rig dies with evil timing, and then I get this other amp, which ROCKS!

Discussion in 'Amps & Cabs' started by Ray, Nov 27, 2018.

1. Ray

Ray Well-Known Member

Pheeew.
    Yeah, I was all prepared for the gig last saturday. My amp had been behaving well 'cept a inexplainable "outburst of terror" just before last pratice before the gig. (It was this thunderstorm of noise, quite hellish. This insane outburst I suspect could come from a malfunctioning output jack on the cabinett, I've fixed that before. I unplugged everything, plugged in the exactly the same way again, and ALAS! Everything worked just fine ...

I've had some problems with my rig, an old 1976 Marshall cabinet and my 1987x the last 6 months, its been on and off, but it has, for some weird reason, turned out OK every time, without any work, cept changing of tubes. (Yeah, I KNOW i should have had it on a service ... but then again, I should not sit here and type; I should be home playing guitar:D)

Yeah... I was SO looking forward to finally unleash my amp's true valve-torturing distortion on the audience, with my new Koch attenuator and all it seemed like I was just about to do just that.

But wait a minute ... things NEVER go that smooth, not with this band, haha.

The pratice on Wednesday went fine, guitarsound was stellar, everythings ALL GOOD. Still, I had a sneaking suspense when I went home that night, even though the amp had behaved totally fine the whole rehearsal. But as all we AC/DC-loving people all know, evil walks beside you ...

Unfortuneately I had no chance to try out my rig anymore before the gig, and when Saturday comes, we set up, I turn on the amp, and - NOTHING. Its was a nightmare - the whole rig was dead silent.

Some extremely frustrating and furious minutes went by, until I found out that the guy who runs the studio where we rehearse would willingly lend me his 1976 Master Volume JMP! :D

And WOW!! I knew those amps rocked, but it sounded crazy good with my new 2018 supercharged SG Standard!:D And here the fun starts, hehe!

Dig this:
    The guy I borrowed the amp from has 3 - three - old JMP 50 watters ..! Aaaand he loves my (when functioning) modded killer-sounding amp...

Thing is, he said, several times, that he has got three 50 watt JMPs... Without me mentioning it, he also pointed out that my amp was approx at the same value as his, on price.

Oh yes ... He didnt spell it straight out, but it seems to me that there is a really good chance that I could swap my 1987x with a '70s Master Volume JMP....

Its so typical, now that I finally got this killer attenuator and all, I suddenly find out I have a chance to get me an old master volume JMP.... (I had no idea the guy was maybe willing to part with one of those amps...)

That JMP sounded sooo good ...

I want both. Sigh.

Last edited: Nov 27, 2018
    Chenosaurus, Dale, Worblehat and 2 others like this.
  2. GrumpyOldDBA

GrumpyOldDBA Well-Known Member

Crap you are giving me want amp fever!

Ray likes this.
  3. Ray

Ray Well-Known Member

But, of course!:D

4. Dale

Dale Well-Known Member

Good luck follows you.

Ray likes this.
  5. Ray

Ray Well-Known Member

Awrite, I found out one of the cabinets elements cables was loose. (cant post pic, my sh'tphone refuses) This has most def something to do with the amp going dead, and I think it could be the transformator. Yesterday I delivered the amp to an amp-wiz-guy in Oslo, and hopefully it will be back in action before long!

6. Ray

Ray Well-Known Member

Update: Got my amp back, paid 50 Euro for the repair. It was beholder/container of the main fuse - not the fuse - that needed to be replaced. (But, of course ... Sigh)

This ampguy is the coolest, I guess he had his heydays in the late 60s and the 70s, 80s working for the big companies. He reallly knows his stuff and he also is good at explaining things when I ask stupid questions. He fixed my amp in 2010 (it needed a new tranformator - damage caused by unmatching cab and amp ..blush, blush...) and he remembered my amp - and he really digs it. My point-to-point (++modifications) 1987x is an extremely warmsounding valveamp. It has a killer tone, very close to the sound of the old Plexis Angus Young (and a bunch of players) used in the 70s (and surely the 80s,90s etc.) Its worth mentioning I bought the amp from an old friend (who happens to be one of this countrys absolute top rock-players, very known and supersweet guy) who totally worships Angus Young (and Hendrix, of course).

Sidenote: I was happy with my -86 JCM 800 50 watt that I bought one year before, until I get a call (around this time in December 2010) one week before we (the band was called Cabriolet - homemade 70s Classic Rock to the max, based on a big pile of different tunings) were entering studio to record an album. My friend offers me his supermodded 1987x for approx 600 Euro ... Whoa. But, no. Actually I told him: "Nah. Think I'll just stick with the JCM." "Okey!" he goes. Night comes, and I say to myself: HELLO?! ANYBODY HOME?!? WHAT HAVE YOU JUST DONE?! Next morning I called him and got it.

So a bit of soldering on one of the greenbacks before rehearsal tomorrow, and then one hour later I'll be off blasting my supercharged 2018 Standard on my Dreamrig again and everything (well, at least my guitarstash) will be fine.

Last edited: Dec 11, 2018
    Clifdawg and fos1 like this.
  7. Ray

Ray Well-Known Member

Dream Rig: The Conclusion.

Right. Yesterday I got Dream Rig up and running again, and I've decided: This baby ain't goin nowhere. It sounds just way too good. Its unique. Period.

On the other hand, I need a home-amp. I been playing on my old Marshall 30 W Master Lead (transistor amp, bought at the age of 14, my oldest personal guitar-related-item!), but that amp is no good anymore. All pots are malfuncioning, it needs total workover. I also have a Rocktron Voodu Valve modelling amp that works OK for homeuse (on my 80's Denon 300 W homestereoamp,hehe) but now I just want, and need, a simple, great-sounding, solid tube amp for home use, to try pickups on, adjust pickups etc.; an amp that has a cool "flat" tone. (I also have my 70's Fender Mini Twin, but thats just in case of break-ins or emergency - that amp can scare you. Its sounds beyond crazy cool, but nothing I'd test pickups on. Very furry-sounding little behemoth, that amp.)

Now back to business. Also, because two amps combined are never wrong, my new amp has gotta have some power in it as well, in case I find myself in a situation where some dual-amp-action would be appropriate... You never know, you know.

For a long time I been thinking of getting me an Orange Dual Terror 30 W head: preview.jpg

asd.jpg
    I think these amps sound great, not to mention the fact that the Dual Terror-models IMO has to be one of the most solid valveamp-designs - all time.

Twice, in 16 months, have I helplessly witnessed our bands singer/rhythm players Dual Terror crash to the floor - bam! (Punkrock is hard, on everything, right?) The thing is, that amp is still going at it, sounding just as before. No tubes replaced, no nothing ... Its ubelivablely wellbuild and solid it seems. Last time it hit the floor, the switch on the right got banged in, all the way. I thought to myself: Thats gonna cost him some ... But luckily, no. When he plugged in next time, that amp just went on sounding excellent, like nothing ever happened - with the switch still punched all the way in. (It has been repaired now.)

I'm dumbfounded by these amps - in addition to sounding killer good, it seems to me that the Dual Terrors simply thrives in extreme, apocalyptic circumstances, such as meteorstrikes and punkrock-performances.

Last edited: Dec 13, 2018
  8. GrumpyOldDBA

GrumpyOldDBA Well-Known Member

My current plan for new amp is Boss Katana artist is goes from 1 watt to 50 / 100. Reviews of this amp are out of the ballpark plus a new software update coming in December.

But NAMM 2019 announcements ( big music industry event ) and products could influence decision.

I think maybe you may want to look at the artist. Another one worth considering more a home practice amp but goes to 20 watts on battery 30 on ac power is Katana Air. I have that one currently as main practice amp its pretty killer.

9. jtees4

jtees4 Active Member

That's the problem with "dreams"....sometimes they are nightmares! Glad it all worked out for you!!!

Ray likes this.