e-series bully?

Discussion in 'Epiphone SG' started by Marty, Jan 7, 2020.

1. Marty

Marty New Member

I think it was DrBGood that predicted I might get hooked. You weren't wrong :)
    I am always on the hunt for a deal and a project. Today I acquired for free what I believe to be a 2001 or 2002 e-series Bully. It is need of major rehab. It has a maple neck, "e" epsilon style logo, and the electronic/knob configuration looks like what I have seen on pics of a Bully. Someone butchered it with a "relic" paint job, moved the bridge around and made 3/8 holes, added an after market pick guard, and had a Trem that they put in and then removed.
    The good news is the electronics all work (has a nice growl to it actually), and the neck is in pretty good shape...even the frets.
    If anyone thinks they have a better ID for it please let me know.
    This should keep me busy for awhile...hard to go wrong for free, and I figure I could put about $40 in it and come out ok.
    any thoughts or guidance welcome and appreciated in advance.

Attached Files:

2. DrBGood

DrBGood Well-Known Member

I don't understand how it can be properly intonated. The only way for it to work would be that the neck pocket was dug as much.

Maybe a Special with a Bully neck ? If so, maybe that neck is shorter than the one from the Special, thus the moved bridge.

A Bully would have a laminated body. What's yours ?

Pickguard was added.

http://www.epiphonewiki.org/index/SG.php#Bully

PixMix likes this.
  3. Marty

Marty New Member

Right plywood body and the Pickguard is not original...it isn’t even screwed in. It has two open humbuckers and one tone and volume knob. Two piece maple neck.

4. Marty

Marty New Member

The bridge had been moved to accommodate a bigsby type trem. Didn’t work out so they reinstalled the stop bar and moved the bridge back to its maybe original position.

5. PixMix

PixMix Well-Known Member

Perhaps obvious but: 12th fret should be equidistant from the nut (the side closer to fretboard) and the saddles of the bridge. If it's not, relocate the bridge to where 12th fret falls exactly between these two points.

The bridge should not have been moved when Bigsby was installed. This might be someone's experiment with a different scale, though the holes appear quite far from their original location.

Last edited: Jan 7, 2020
    Marty likes this.
  6. Marty

Marty New Member

Thanks very much pix mix. In terms of filling the holes. The body is plywood can I go ahead and use wood filler?

7. Marty

Marty New Member

Did the measurement and the 12th fret is on the money. 24 3/4 scale and the 12th fret is at 12 3/8

PixMix likes this.
  8. Marty

Marty New Member

Here’s the job they did when they moved the bridge.

Attached Files:

9. PixMix

PixMix Well-Known Member

I would use dowels that fit snugly inside the holes, then wood filler to fill in the gaps.

Marty likes this.
  10. Marty

Marty New Member

Sounds good.

11. Biddlin

Biddlin Well-Known Member

Wow, that's a unique piece. Enjoy!

Marty likes this.
  12. Marty

Marty New Member

Thanks Biddlin.

13. Marty

Marty New Member

Started breaking the old boy down. Under the Pickguard was penned in some writing see pic. I puzzled over it and thought it was construction language but it turns out to be lyrics from a song by the Moldy Peaches “anyone else.” Up, up, down, down, left right, left right, BA start....I quite like that song it’s from 2001
    Fun to know a little clue about this guys background.

Attached Files:

14. RazorReaver

RazorReaver New Member

It could just be the Contra code, though I'm not familiar with either the song or the previous owner of the guitar, so you would know best!

20200108_114557.jpg

Also, call me crazy, but aside from the bridge bushing holes, I actually like the way that body looks

Last edited: Jan 8, 2020
    Biddlin and Marty like this.
  15. Marty

Marty New Member

I like that Razor! I'm pretty sure it is a reference to the song, it corresponds exactly to the lyrics, and both this guitar and the song came out in 2001. It is a simple diddy that a lot of beginning guitarists would have learned first especially then, and this Bully was marketed and priced for beginners.

You aren't the only one, my family likes the way the body looks too...it was the first thing they said when I walked in the door with my new free guitar :)
    Unfortunately I;m not crazy about it, and I do get a kick from refinishing.

16. RazorReaver

RazorReaver New Member

Right on, I'm always learning something new in this place! I'll be sure to give it a listen later on.

More power to you, let us know how it turns out ;) as for me, I'll be keeping that look in mind as inspiration for a future project :D

Marty likes this.
  17. Biddlin

Biddlin Well-Known Member

I can dig it, but what about smoothing out the existing paint and putting a couple of clear coats over it, like rat rod builders do with cars?
    [​IMG]
    Just a thought.

Marty likes this.
  18. Marty

Marty New Member

There's an idea! I'll post some pics as I go. might have a question or two along the way.
    this is a great forum.

DrBGood likes this.
  19. RazorReaver

RazorReaver New Member

Hey Marty, have you had a chance to work on that hellish beauty? I have to admit I'm curious to see how it turns out :)

Marty likes this.
  20. Marty

Marty New Member