Edwards SGs, Necks Shapes

Discussion in 'SG Copies' started by nelwen89, Jan 24, 2019.

1. nelwen89

nelwen89 New Member

Can anyone with experience on these Edwards SGs provide a description of the neck profiles, rounded or slim taper? I have an Edwards LP copy I bought in Japan back in 2005, which I think is a good quality guitar.

2. PermissionToLand

PermissionToLand Well-Known Member

You should try MyLesPaul forums, there are a lot of knowledgeable owners of Japanese guitars on there who could probably help you. Unfortunately, we are a much smaller forum so we don't have a lot of MIJ owners to draw experiences from. Good luck!

3. nelwen89

nelwen89 New Member

Permission
    Yeah, I will try that. I have an Edwards 2004 Les Paul Standard copy. I like it, but the neck isn't a thin shape. It seems to be closer to 59 or baseball bat shape.

4. Satellitedog

Satellitedog Active Member

MLP is the place for LP copies, they have a dedicated subforum that is very lively, so you should get quick replies. Also, they have databases of MIJ (and made for the Japanese market) instruments.
    Edwards LPs are well liked among that crowd too.

5. nelwen89

nelwen89 New Member

I posted on MLP tonight, so we'll see if they know anything about the Edwards SGs too.

6. nelwen89

nelwen89 New Member

From the folks over in MLP, it seem these Edwards guitars typically have neck shapes that are in the 59 range.

Satellitedog likes this.
  7. Satellitedog

Only just saw your post, nelwen. Cool you got your info. Also, you can do some measurements of the neck depth/width with a caliper at the nut and 12th and further frets if you want to provide someone a more specific description of the neck.

8. nelwen89

nelwen89 New Member

Yes, that would be great.

9. PermissionToLand

PermissionToLand Well-Known Member

I just checked out the thread, they didn't say that ALL Edwards guitars tend to have thick necks, but that their LPs do. SGs are generally known for thinner necks, so it is common for SG copies to have thinner necks than LP copies. Basically, you can't assume based on what the LP necks are like. You can always ask a seller for measurements.

10. Satellitedog

11. nelwen89

nelwen89 New Member

Yeah, the info I was seeking was more specific to Edwards SG models, the neck profiles. Looking for a nice affordable alternative, since I'm comfortable with MIJ guitars. I see the used ones on sale online for tempting prices.

I have a 2004 Edwards Les Paul clone, and generally speaking I like it. It has a nice sun burst finish, but heavy. The neck on it would be closer to what would be a 59 profile (thicker, and rounder) than I prefer on a Gibby. Though, I do think the build and hardware quality are very good.

12. Satellitedog

I can confirm the C-to-D profile from my first impressions. It's my favourite neck out of my three SGs'. Neither too skinny, nor baseball bat style, pretty fast playing.