Electronics kit upgrade

Discussion in 'Tone Zone' started by santana157, Feb 22, 2005.

1. santana157

santana157 New Member

I read a big post about this, from Voxman.

I think I will probably do the upgrade. I was wondering if anyone had any comments or suggestions about it. (Which kit to go with, wiring, other options, etc.)?

Anyone done this?

Thanks.

2. Voxman

Voxman Moderator Staff Member

3. Turbo

Turbo New Member

Excellent review. Thanks for taking the time and effort to be so thorough!

I had the same experience when I was a customer and not an employee!

I bought an RS upgrade kit for a Les Paul, and the difference was HUGE.

We are pretty much getting the same response from almost everyone who has installed a kit.

The kits are back in stock now! We also added a pre-wired kit, and a kit that we calll "complete" which includes 1 USA made Switchcraft switch, a Switchcraft input jack, and enough premium braided wire to do the whole guitar.

I'm putting the kits in every guitar I own. Of course, now that I work there, I get a discount.

:shock:

4. Sgmaniac

Sgmaniac Guest

Which RS kit should I get for my Firebird V? I can't read the volume pot values (pot codes) that are in there, they are covered by wires and solder and I can't get a good multi-meter reading either. The tone pots are definitely 500K, but the volume pots may be 300K, because mini humbuckers are so bright. Anybody have a clue what might be in there now? It's a 1991 if that helps.

5. Turbo

Turbo New Member

Hi,

Yes, the Firebirds come with 300k volume potts and 500k tone potts.

The correct kit for your guitar would be the "Historic Premium Electronics Upgrade Kit - Treble Tamer". When you select Historic Premium kit, you will then be asked to choose between "True Tone" (normal), "Treble Tamer" (the one you want) and "high-gain" (for very HOT pickups).

I have a Les Paul Deluxe with the mini0humbuckers too. Haven't got a kit in it yet, but it's "in line"!

BTW, we are currently working on making the schematics better, and we are going to start including a step by step instruction sheet as well. It's really not difficult to install. Just be sure to use 60/40 solder and a 30 or 40 watt iron (don't cook the potts!).

We also offer a pre-wired kit now that comes ready to drop in and solder on the pickup leads.

Good luck, and if you get one, please let me know how you feell about it.
    You can call to order or order on our website www.rsguitarworks.net

The toll free number is 877-777-3542 . My name is Lee.

6. Sgmaniac

Sgmaniac Guest

Cool, thanks for the info Turbo! :D 8)

7. Turbo

Turbo New Member

You are most welcome!