EMG HZ Install Nightmare

Discussion in 'Epiphone SG' started by knuw1, Oct 23, 2017.

1. knuw1

knuw1 New Member

So, recently I decided to swap out the stock pickups on my G400 with EMG HZ H4\H4A set. I also decided to get a new three way switch to go along with it. So I get everything wired and everything looks fine. However, the output on the pickups are very low. Another thing is that when the selector switch is unscrewed from the body the output goes up to what it should be. There is also a loud squealing noise that happens sometimes if I'm not touching the selector switch. I wired everything to the EMG diagram and now at this point I'm stumped. Only thing I can think of is it probably being a grounding issue somewhere but I just can't figure out. Any help would be appreciated.

2. Clifdawg

Clifdawg Well-Known Member

Sounds like, as you said, a grounding issue. Had a G400 that did this exact thing with the bridge volume pot. I loosened it up and that fixed it temporarily, but it started doing it again later. Sounds like you might need a new selector switch, but I'm no expert...

3. Bonzo21

Bonzo21 Active Member

No need for a new switch. Something is grounding when you turn it a certain way. Take it out and move around the wires and pay attention to what touches what. Since you get a drop in output it might be that you are grounding one of the coil wires. This would have happened if you overheated the solder joint and it burned through a piece of the outer wire plastic and it is touching a wire or ground or part of the switch. I would say look for that. If you don't find anything de-solder all the connections. Cut the wire half an inch shorter and redo the whole thing.

OR post pictures so we can check your work...

4. knuw1

knuw1 New Member

Thank you for the replies guys. I've decided to go with one of the EMG soderless switches. Just ordered it yesterday so we'll see how this works out. I'll update You on the install!

Bonzo21 likes this.