EMG's

Discussion in 'Pickups' started by randyrhoadslives13, Jul 7, 2007.

1. randyrhoadslives13

randyrhoadslives13 Member

i know some of you hate emg's. but for those of you who use them... what are some advantages, i'm considering new pickups for my sg and i've used EMG's before and they sounded nice to me. if EMG's arent the best choice, what would you recommend for a good all around kind of pickup?

2. randyrhoadslives13

and also, does anyone have any experiance with bass emgs? just wondering, i know les claypool uses them and he has a really good sound. i've never been able to play a bass with emgs in it though.

3. Arlabester

Arlabester Active Member

EMG's are only for the heaviest of metal. theyre only if you need tons of gain with no tone.

get some seymour duncans.

i like the Full Shred/'59 or Custom 5, Custom Custom, Custom/Jazz

4. everdying

everdying Well-Known Member

if you're gonna put EMGs in the SG, avoid the 81.
    go with a 85/60 or 85/60A combo.

i have EMGs in 2 of my guitars.
    a epi LP with 85/60A combo, and a SG-90 with 81/SLV combo.
    SLV of cos is Steve Lukather's signature EMG pickup, tho a single coil.

the only reason why the 81 is in the SG is its for high gain stuff.
    while in the epi, the 85 definitely sounds much better than the 81 which was previously in it.

and i might just buy another 85 and stick it in the SG.

its actually a 'myth' that EMGs are only for the heaviest of metal.
    the single coils have been used by david gilmour, SRV, and of cos steve lukather.

5. everdying

and since my modify button hasnt returned yet.

i say, only put EMGs if you really like them, or if you have a extra guitars that you dont mind having EMGs just for something different.
    i have 3 other guitars for more classic rock stuff.

6. randyrhoadslives13

well i have an emg 81 in and old strat around here.. i was just wondering how they would sound in an sg. yeah i totally agree that they aren't just for metal, they have a great clean sound as well and david gilmours tone is one of the best i've ever heard. i'm thinking the zakk wylde set.. i've heard the 60 can be quite noisy.

7. everdying

imo the 60A is the ultimate EMG neck pickup.
    i've tried both the 85 and 81 in neck in my epi LP, dont you just love the EMG quik-connects :p
    both dont give really the balls required and tone you expect from the neck position.

you wanted all-round, i say the 85 is better for that than the 81.
    so my fav combo is still the 60A/85 followed by 85/85.

8. Arlabester

Arlabester Active Member

i still think its a much better option for a set of high gain seymours.

9. aisuru

aisuru Member

if you can stretch to it, a Bare Knuckle Miracle Man is a great pickup. it does the EMG tone, but unlike EMGs, it does other things as well. it's more organic and has a much better range of sounds.

10. everdying

bare knuckles, always wanted to try one, especially the warpig.
    just too expensive.
    for the price of a warpig, i can get two EMGs :p

11. MatrixClaw

MatrixClaw Member

I have EMGs in both my guitars, Zakk Wylde set in my SG and an 81/60 combo in my EC-1000. I honestly don't see where people are coming from when they say they're not very versatile (just like my 5150), because I can play anything with mine, you just need to know how to EQ your amp right. That being said, I enjoy the 85 in the bridge on my SG over the 81 that's supposed to go in there, it has a more full tone to me. The 81 is fine in the EC-1000 though and lets me have a slightly different sound from the pickups on each guitar. If you want the best pickup you could get for versatility, go with an 85 in the bridge and an 89 in the neck. The 89 is essentially an 85, but it has a coil tap that makes it into an SA (single coil) which is excellent for cleans.

If you decide not to go with EMGs though, I'd reccommend a Duncan 59' and JB combo. Those two combined can do anything you throw at them if you don't like the EMG tone. ;)

12. aisuru

aisuru Member

[quote author=everdying link=topic=14163.msg184064#msg184064 date=1184096942]
    bare knuckles, always wanted to try one, especially the warpig.
    just too expensive.
    for the price of a warpig, i can get two EMGs :p
    [/quote]which is a bargain, since a Pig is worth three EMGs! :D

13. everdying

[quote author=aisuru link=topic=14163.msg187548#msg187548 date=1186103576]
    which is a bargain, since a Pig is worth three EMGs! :D
    [/quote]

i'll trade you two cows and a box of camels for six EMGs :p

14. Arlabester

Arlabester Active Member

[quote author=aisuru link=topic=14163.msg187548#msg187548 date=1186103576]
    which is a bargain, since a Pig is worth three EMGs! :D
    [/quote]an ibanez inf is worth two ems ;D

15. aisuru

aisuru Member

what kinda DC output are the cows?

16. philosopher

philosopher Member

[quote author=MatrixClaw link=topic=14163.msg184610#msg184610 date=1184488408]
    I honestly don't see where people are coming from when they say they're not very versatile (just like my 5150), because I can play anything with mine, you just need to know how to EQ your amp right.
    [/quote]

For me, it's not high gain or cleans that EMGs can't handle. It's all there is in between.
    You can surely dial a tight high gain sound with a 85 on bridge. And you can dial a nice clean sound if you split a 89 on the neck.
    But I never managed to dial a nice blues or rock or hard rock sound with one, no matter how hard I tried.
    They get easily over-compressed, sometimes muddy, sometimes weak.
    The pots are also a joke. The volume pot for example is useless unless you let it on 10. I suppose an on-off switch would do the same job.
    Anyway, I can go on and on about the things I don't like about EMGs (81,85 and 89 to be honest, these are the ones I tried), but again, maybe it's just me...

17. mikeystool

mikeystool Well-Known Member

[quote author=philosopher link=topic=14163.msg187848#msg187848 date=1186218575]
    For me, it's not high gain or cleans that EMGs can't handle. It's all there is in between.
    You can surely dial a tight high gain sound with a 85 on bridge. And you can dial a nice clean sound if you split a 89 on the neck.
    But I never managed to dial a nice blues or rock or hard rock sound with one, no matter how hard I tried.
    The pots are also a joke. The volume pot for example is useless unless you let it on 10. I suppose an on-off switch would do the same job.
    Anyway, I can go on and on about the things I don't like about EMGs (81,85 and 89 to be honest, these are the ones I tried), but again, maybe it's just me...

[/quote]its not just you ;)...i tried them in a ZW epi...wasnt fond of them..to me its kinda like with the paf's i got i can dial in the 'metal' or nasty sound with my amp and eq pedal...

18. everdying

[quote author=philosopher link=topic=14163.msg187848#msg187848 date=1186218575]

[/quote]

perhaps you got a bad pot, yes there are quite a few, thats why some switch to the CTS 10k pots.
    mine is working well and the pickups are pretty transparent.
    with vol at around 2, its able to get a pretty decent dirty rock sound, of cos this is using a EMG60A.
    when i max the vol out to 10, then it enters metal territory.

19. philosopher

philosopher Member

[quote author=everdying link=topic=14163.msg187877#msg187877 date=1186236743]
    perhaps you got a bad pot, yes there are quite a few, thats why some switch to the CTS 10k pots.
    mine is working well and the pickups are pretty transparent.
    with vol at around 2, its able to get a pretty decent dirty rock sound, of cos this is using a EMG60A.
    when i max the vol out to 10, then it enters metal territory.
    [/quote]

No it's not a matter of bad pot. I just don't like the way these pickups clean up when you lower the volume.
    I had EMGs back when I was into metal stuff. I liked them back them, but I can't find any good use of them now, honestly.
    Gone for good.
    I admit they're doing metal stuff pretty well. They're dead quiet and you can a control a high gain beast with ease.
    But other than that, not my cup of tea...

20. everdying

yea, but ppl who buy EMGs generally play metal :p
    of cos the single coil EMG users like gilmour, SRV etc use them for different sounds.
    and like with everything, just choose the pickups that suit you most.

there are also passive pickups that dont clean up well anyway.