Encore S.G. copy.

Discussion in 'SG Copies' started by Barry Charlton, Jul 7, 2018.

Tags:
  1. Barry Charlton

Barry Charlton New Member

Hi, I'm new to this forum thing. I have an Encore S.G copy - not a real S.G. so I'm hoping you guys will help me out with a cupple of things. I got it a few years ago and it's always had something wrong with it. Tuning problems, frett buzz, I had to set the action real high to minimise the buzz and I had to fix the pickup selector a while back. Hey' I knew it was a cheap guitar and I bought it just to have a different sound from my other guitars. It has "Wilkinson Guitar Tech" Humbucker pickups which actually have a good tone. I didn't expect much - just for it to be playable...not how it's turned out. I took it to a cupple of shops to get some help from more experienced people and everyone said that it had a twisted neck.

Ok, so I'm looking for replacement a neck for my S.G copy. So I took the original neck off and I discovered a cupple of problems.

1. Two of the neck holes drilled into the body are too large for the screws so the neck wasn't secured to the body properly. That's probably why it never stays in tune.

2. The neck has a "step" cut into it at the heel. The neckplate screws go through the neck and into 2 small metal bars which sit on top of the stepped heel (there are pockets cut into the heel) these hold the neck pickup in place. I don't know if this is a common design on all S.G. type guitars or if it's an innovation by this particular company but I can't find any neck to fit my S.G copy. All I've been able to find are Chinese necks which are too thin for the neck pocket to fit. There'd be a gap of about 1cm between the heel and the pocket.

I know it's just a cheap guitar but I like how it sounds when it's tuned up and I'd like to save it if I can. Without spending too much money.

So I'm sorry for such a long post but could anyone help please?

2. pancake81

pancake81 Well-Known Member

From your post it sounds like you have several issues going on; which you actually articulated quite well.

It sounds like your looking to make the guitar a reliable and enjoyable personal enjoyment instrument. Excellent.

My advice would be to take it to a luthier and ask what it would cost for him to go over, repair and set up the guitar. Anything is possible, but it may be a matter of cost.

Sometimes we all have to make the hard decision of sentimental vs pocket book. Or what’s practical.

Post some photos for us. And good luck with everything.

3. cerebral gasket

cerebral gasket Well-Known Member

The holes that are too large can be plugged by gluing in wood dowels that are a tight fit and then re-drill the holes to correct diameter.

Barry Charlton likes this.
  4. Barry Charlton

Hi, thanks a lot for your reply and the compliment...wasn't expecting that so thanks. Well here are those photos

cerebral gasket likes this.
  5. Barry Charlton

Sorry about that, the internet won't let me post photos. But thanks again.

6. Barry Charlton

Hi. I tried to post some photos but the internet dose not like the size of my files. Says they're too big - which is ridiculous coz there only small on my screen.

Anyway, thanks for your reply and the compliment. I think I'm gonna need more than luck, to sort this guitar out properly. I probably need to scrap it as a project and use the body as a starting point for a refurbish job - that or take the parts and start again
    with a new guitar, it just depends on the cost. The pickups do sound quite good when the guitar is in one piece but there's no point trying to put it back together until I get the other issues sorted out. I need to sorce a new neck if I'm gonna continue with it. Thanks.

7. Bad Penguin

Bad Penguin Active Member

Hey there, and welcome! :cheers:

Ok, let's talk cheesy SG copies here. As was suggested, adding a dowel and re-drilling is a perfect fix for the loose screws. Hell, I've seen $2K 70's strats with that fix, and it's perfectly acceptable.
    2) The way your pickup is installed is a new one on me, and I have been doing it for 30 years or so. But because of it, you won't find a replacement neck to fit, so let's fix yours. It also may need a truss rod adjustment. If you never did it before, find someone who has. It's not rocket science, or some special blend of magic, but a little adjusting can go a LONG way, and someone who has done it before can save you hours or work. (besides, when adjusting an old POS Japanese guitar, sometimes the truss rod can snap. NOT a happy sound.)
    3) Falling out of tune is either tuners, the loose neck, or the nut. Once you re-dowel the body, most of the tuning issues will disappear. Replace that stupid piece of crap plastic nut. Lube your slots, and all should be good. Unless the tuners are pure crap. Ebay can be your friend here.
    4) If the files are too big, and I assume you use Windows, simple bring up the picture on your screen, right click, edit, and shrink it to have the max size of 1800 pixels. There, issue fixed.

Hope this helps. Thank God for coffee!

8. Barry Charlton

Hi, thanks for the welcome and for your reply!

Have a question or two for you. I may sound like I don't know what I'm on about - because that is what it is.

1. Is the 'dowel' in the fix mentioned like the dowel you use on flat pack furniture - that's the only dowel I know of (yes I know).

Never thought about the nut so thanks for pointing that out.

2. I've tried adjusting the truss rod on this guitar before but it made no difference at all and since it was pointed out to me even I can now see how bad the twist on the neck is.
    It is pretty bad, would a truss rod adjustment do the trick - it just that it looks so twisted to me.

I can't post pics at the moment as I'm using my phone for this but I'll fire up the old laptop and have a go.

Thanks again.

9. Barry Charlton

Hi. Have filled those screw holes with Dowels and Superglue and it woked a treat. Nice steady neck now but the it's still twised. Am gonna keep working on the guitar to get it to where I want it. Have just put copper insulating tape in the pickup cavities to help with excess noise and am gonna get a new nut for it. Could anyone recomend where I can get a nut from - particularly a good quality manufacturer please. Thanks again.

10. Bad Penguin

A truss rod adjustment will fix a warp, you know when a neck looks like you can shoot an arrow off of it? A twist, very little fixes it.

11. Lynurd Fireburd

Lynurd Fireburd Active Member

I've mentioned previously, but why can't the mods relax the file limit size a scooch when posting images. Id love to post more pics but the effort to drop them into imgur just to, in turn, post them here is a chore.

This is the only forum I frequent with such a drastic limit on image size.

Roca likes this.
  12. Roca

Roca Active Member

13. Roca

Roca Active Member

Marshall forum is the exact same thing.

Lynurd Fireburd likes this.
  14. Barry Charlton

Hi, I'd like to say thanks to all you guy's for your very valuable help and advice. I took my S.G. copy out to the nearest guitar tech in my neck of the woods. I can honestly say the guy has done a great job and it's problems are now just about over. He took a cupple of looks at it, agreed about the twist in the neck and set it up. It now plays better than I could have hoped and it didn't cost very much either.

15. Bad Penguin

Happy to hear that, and I hope you love it long time!

Barry Charlton likes this.