Epi '57CH?

Discussion in 'Tone Zone' started by ghostwolf, Dec 29, 2012.

1. ghostwolf

ghostwolf Well-Known Member

i just got a set of '57 CH pickups for a decent price. (well, so far i think so anyway)
    are these well suited for a SG, or would they fare better in a LP type guitar?

2. dbb

dbb Well-Known Member

Hi, around here a lot of us seem to think 57's are good pickups in almost any guitar.

They are stock in higher-end SG's, 335's 175's etc. so that seems to be good company.

3. ghostwolf

ghostwolf Well-Known Member

well that's good to hear.
    if i can get this guitar sounding as good as it plays, i may just become a 'former strat guy'....

4. Col Mustard

Col Mustard Well-Known Member

I think my '57s cost me a hundred each... which I thought was a lot. But having them in my SG is great. I feel they are the perfect sound for the SG... sweet and musical when played clean, and raunchy enough with a little overdrive. Very worth it IMHO.

The only guys who don't like them seem to want more aggressive, high output pickups. And that's a whole different ball park. There are lots of options when it comes to that.
    So if you already have a pair, shove 'em in there. Gibson '57s are so desirable that you can likely sell them later if you decide to move to some other sound. Let us know how this works out for you.

5. Missy

Missy Active Member

Are they Gibson '57 Classics or Epiphone 57CH's?

Col Mustard likes this.
  6. Missy

Missy Active Member

Oops, just saw the title. They're indeed Epi's. They are Alnico 5 humbuckers, wound to approximately 8kO. Works well in SG's, LP's, ES-type,... Not the best pickups, but not expensive either and work well.

7. thinkgreen

thinkgreen Active Member

I have a set of epi 57's I took them out of my lp custom. I swopped the for a set of Seymour duncans. The epi 57's I have are not too great, they are very muddy sounding and very uninspiring. That said I have also heard of some good sounding one. So it could be down to luck of the draw if you get a good set or not.the only way to find out is to try them. But I also feel they are no match for the Gibson ones.