Epi SG special P90

Discussion in 'Epiphone SG' started by mrboosh, Jun 3, 2020.

1. mrboosh

mrboosh New Member

Hi All,

just took delivery of the new 2020 Epi SG special in P90s.... lovey guitar, enjoying playing it so far.

With Covid19 and the lockdown here in Wales, I ordered a Faded Pelham Blue one online and when it arrived I was pleasantly surprised - it does not look like the pictures online it has more of a bluey/green hue to it. Anyone else find theirs is an unusual colour?
    Personally I like it, just wondering if they are all like this, or vary between each one?

pictures attached

Attached Files:

2. Biddlin

Biddlin Well-Known Member

PB has a green caste to it, for sure.congrats on your new axe.

mrboosh likes this.
  3. DrBGood

DrBGood Well-Known Member

N I C E !

mrboosh likes this.
  4. Grizzlyman

Grizzlyman Active Member

Tasty axe man!

mrboosh likes this.
  5. mrboosh

mrboosh New Member

Having not seen one in person, I was quite surprised; pleasantly so.

6. mrboosh

mrboosh New Member

Thanks - always wanted a P90 SG with the half or no pick guard and dot inlays.... (and can’t justify buying Gibson)

so this was an easy decision, that I’m glad I made!

Grizzlyman likes this.
  7. Crazy_8

Crazy_8 Well-Known Member

Hey mrboosh, I picked one of those up, too. They really are great little guitars aren't they?

Enjoy !

mrboosh likes this.
  8. Franc

Franc Member

Beautiful! I wanted that one as soon as they were announced...

mrboosh likes this.
  9. mrboosh

mrboosh New Member

make sure you get one, I recommend it!

10. Franc

Franc Member

I still want to, but I am currently working on my project-SG and have 3 other SGs already, so I must fabricate a reason to tell the GF why I would need this one :thumb:

dub-setter and mrboosh like this.
  11. DrBGood

DrBGood Well-Known Member

You religious ? Tell her God told you that exact guitar will help save the world from all the bad that's going on nowadays.

mrboosh likes this.
  12. Ray Sachs

Ray Sachs New Member

I’m new here, just bought one of these a couple weeks ago myself, also Pelham Blue. Mostly a strat guy, but I also love P90s and thought this might be a good platform for P-90s. I’m kind of shocked at how good it is. I didn’t really expect a $400 guitar to play this well and sound this good. I’ve had a number of P90 guitars over the years and there was only one that I remember as sounding this good.

I think an SG is the only iconic guitar I’ve never owned or even spent any real time with. I’ve been playing 40+ years and I’m sure I must have played one at some point, but I can’t tell you when. Anyway, I’m smitten.

I was wondering if there’d be much to gain from picking up a used 2003 Gibson SG Classic - is it gonna be much of an improvement over this Epi? I generally like chunkier necks than this Epi, but it’s not bothering me. I’m kind of thinking if I like this one this much, no point in messing around with that... But if folks think they’re considerably better, maybe it’s worth a shot...

-Ray

mrboosh likes this.
  13. Chuteboxehero

Chuteboxehero Well-Known Member

Those early to mid 00s Classics are really nice guitars. Can't say better or worse than the new Epi with P90s as I haven't played one yet. But I've played the older Classic and it's a great guitar.

14. Ray Sachs

Ray Sachs New Member

Thanks man. Thinking about it. What about the 2016 Naked SG with P90s? I have a line on one of those in really great shape for barely more than I paid for the Epi? I hate to say it, but I'm really into those for the looks. Which is pretty superficial, but the opinion of them in the one thread I found here seems pretty high. Initially overpriced, but not an issue with the used ones, and a good bit less than the Classic I'm looking at... I know they have a narrow nut, but I don't think that would bother me on electric...

Edit - Ahh, WTH, I just took a flyer and ordered both. They're both used at Guitar Center. I'm not crazy about GC for some stuff, but for checking out used stuff basically risk free, I love 'em. I'm paying a grand total of $42 for shipping and I'm out that no matter what. But if I like one of them way better than the other and than the Epi, I return the other one and sell the Epi for not much loss (not much in it to begin with). If I don't like either of them as much as the Epi, I return 'em both and I'm out the $42. I kind of initially bought the Epiphone just to have something cheap around with P90s, but I'm digging it much MUCH more than I expected to. So it's gonna be a keeper, or ONE of these is gonna be a keeper. May as well give them each a good workout for a few days and see which emerges.

-Ray

Last edited: Jun 5, 2020
  15. Chuteboxehero

Can you sit down with it before buying? Sounds like a great price. Definitely a different look than the Classic but if you like the stripped down thing and it plays well, that might be a nice score.

16. Ray Sachs

Ray Sachs New Member

I guess you must have posted this just before I edited the last post and I missed it. They're both in the Guitar Center used inventory, so I ordered them both, can pick them up curbside (tax free - my nearest store is across the state line in a no sales tax state). I can't really play them there and they aren't doing in store returns until they open up the store. But they've extended their return period and anticipate opening up the store by later this month anyway, so I'll be able to return either or both after giving them a good workout...

The Epiphone plays SO well that I think it'll come down to the comfort of the neck and the sound of the pups. I don't know if there's much difference between the Gibson and Epi P90s but I already like the Epi pickups a lot, so if the Gibson's are notably better, great. If the Classic is all everyone is saying and it's in good shape, I'll probably keep it. If not, it'll be down to whether I like the naked one as much or more than the Epi, because I really do love the looks of a natural guitar with no pick guard. But if I don't like either of them more than the Epiphone, I'll end up returning both...

-Ray

17. Chuteboxehero

Oh nice. Yea their return policy on used gear is great. Plus running them through your own set up is always better than playing in store. Either way you'll end up with a nice guitar.

Ray Sachs likes this.
  18. everdying

everdying Well-Known Member

the gibby SG classic is a nice guitar...but i've always had a preference for small guards...so this epi is quite tempting :p

mrboosh likes this.
  19. mrboosh

mrboosh New Member

Ive had a few Gibson SGs before but never bonded with them as much as this Epi... love it and a bargain for £309 too.

20. Ray Sachs

Ray Sachs New Member

Good to hear. I hope that happens with me as well. I should pick up both of the used Gibsons on Thursday and I should have it sorted within a few days. Staying with the Epi would be the most economical option for sure. And I like it so much, it’s hard to imagine liking one of the others more. But I’ll know soon enough...

-Ray

mrboosh likes this.