Epi SG Special VE Walnut Faded

Discussion in 'Epiphone SG' started by Sonic Blues, Sep 19, 2018.

1. Sonic Blues

Sonic Blues New Member

Hi there
    Next week I'm planning to buy an Epiphone SG Special VE in faded Walnut.
    I'm planning to use this with Humbucker sized P90 type pups while I save to buy a Gibson with P90's.

Has anyone here bought one of these guitars? and if yes, what did you think of it?

2. DrBGood

DrBGood Well-Known Member

Sonic Blues likes this.
  3. Sonic Blues

Sonic Blues New Member

Hi DrBGood,

Thanks for the links, unfortunately because I'm in the UK, the site wouldn't let me go there...don't know why?
    I did go on youtube and check some reviews for that guitar, and yes it sounds good.
    I had an Epi Les Paul Special II with humbuckers (made in indonesia) and really liked that, decent guitar and super cheap.
    I have never seen any lp special I w p90 on ebay over here in the UK, so I'm guessing that wasn't released here, sadly.
    I love the SG shape so I think Im going to go for the VE faded. And put a couple of GFS Mean 90's in there, they are great pup's and quite cheap.
    Thanks for the suggestion, if I was in the US I'd have gone for one as they are an absolute bargain s/h.
    Cheers

DrBGood likes this.
  4. DrBGood

DrBGood Well-Known Member

Ah UK OK ... :cool:
    If you liked the Special II, no reason not to like the VE, which is actually a new name for the SG Special.

And welcome to the SG zoo.

5. Worblehat

Worblehat Active Member

I thought of doing the same before. I am craving for the P90 sound but cannot afford a P90 equipped Gibson SG at the moment. For now I ordered a humbucker sized Tonerider Rebel 90 Neck pickup that I will put in my current SG. Costs a bit more than the GFS P90s but still very affordable. Let us know how you like the Mean 90s if you get them. I would probably go with a Faded Epi G400. Never actually tried a VE though. So I have no idea how they compare in terms of quality...

6. Col Mustard

Col Mustard Well-Known Member

I'll chime in and suggest you consider getting an Epiphone ES-339 P-90 pro.
    it's got real P-90s, and you might find that you don't need to save for a Gibson.
    *grins
    Caledonia 2016@100.jpg
    It's not an SG, but has the double cutaway. It's not a hollow body, because it's got a center
    block of maple. Mine is an excellent guitar. It's a little more money than the guitars you've
    been discussing, but very worth it. The body size is comparable to a Les Paul, so it LOOKS
    like an ES-335, but is much smaller. I like that a lot. Mine growls and jangles, and shrieks
    as a good P-90 guitar should.

Maybe you could find a used one in England, or on the continent.

Worblehat likes this.
  7. Shockya

Shockya New Member

I love my (black) Epiphone SG VE! I upgraded the tuners to locking ones and swapped the pups with chrome covered Vanson 57 (bridge) and 59 (neck) humbuckers . Now I have one of the sweetest sounding "cheap" guitars on the planet! Also I added silver acrylic speed knobs. Finally I'm currently waiting on a Gibson USA LP (black pearloid) pickguard to finish off it's look. I Just hope it fits, from my measurements it should. Then it will be one of the coolest looking "cheap" guitars on the planet!