Epiphone Genesis

Discussion in 'Other Guitars' started by DCCable, Dec 6, 2017.

1. DCCable

DCCable Active Member

Hey guys, I'm looking at a black Epiphone Genesis at my favorite music store. It appears to be one of the Taiwanese 1979-1981 guitars.

The thing I'm having trouble figuring out is the serial #, its at the body end of the fret board and is a 6 digit number with no letters, 0036xx. I have found one photo on line with a serial # in that location but I can't find any references to an Epiphone serial # that's that configuration.

Anybody have any thoughts on this?

2. PeteR

PeteR Active Member

3. DCCable

DCCable Active Member

Thanks, but nothing on a serial number like 0036xx.

4. PeteR

PeteR Active Member

The Aria Epiphone Japan models that were made by Matsumoku from the early 1970s and ending before 1987 do not have a reliable serial numbering system but can be approximately dated using their Epiphone label colours.

Lincolnwood Labels:

The Lincolnwood label was also used for the Tawainese "Epi" series acoustic guitars from 1979-1980. These labels say "Made in Tawain" in the bottom right corner.

5. DCCable

DCCable Active Member

I have seen examples of Epiphone Genesis guitars made in that 1979-1981 time frame on line that have what I would consider conventional, for the time period, serial numbers stamped on the back of the head stock i.e. seven or eight digit all numerical SR#s, but no stickers anywhere visible.

Is it possible that these things serial numbers just represent the build order? So the one I'm looking at would be the three thousand six hundredth and what ever Genesis produced in the Taiwanese factory?

6. DCCable

DCCable Active Member

I have now come to believe that for the most common 7 digit serial numbers found on the Genesis Taiwanese production follow a MM/Y/RRRR code. For instance SR# 0290820 was produced in Feb. 1979 and was the 820th unit produced that month. This seems to work for all the 7 digit SR#s I have been able to find on the www (18 SR#s.)

In all cases the first two digits I have found are 01 through 12 (the month) and the next digit is either 9, 0, or 1 (1979, 1980, or 1981.)

Last edited: Dec 7, 2017
  7. DCCable

DCCable Active Member

Does anyone own one of the 1979-81 Genesis with a 7 digit SR# that can verify or refute my theory on the serial numbers?