Epiphone SG g-400 Custom Ivory 3 Pickup

Discussion in 'Epiphone SG' started by John Stoffick, Jan 27, 2018.

1. John Stoffick

John Stoffick New Member

I am new to the forum. I just bought a 3 pickup Epiphone SG. I am considering customizing it and wondered if anyone had any good pics of the same guitar that they have done some work too. Mild to wild and anything in between is cool.

2. plankton

plankton Well-Known Member

The G400 Custom, cool looking guitar, cosmetically I don't think I'd do anything myself.

The electronics confuse me though, it's a three humbucker guitar but still has a volume and tone for both the neck and bridge and a 3 way toggle. Is the middle pickup always on? Is there no way to adjust it's volume or tone?

If it was me I'd wire it with a volume control for each pickup, keep the toggle as is, the middle pickup would always be "on" but you could blend it in and out with it's volume and if it was not coupled to the other two volumes it would shut off with the knob at zero, and then a master tone knob.

But you should always play a guitar for awhile before deciding to do any mods. After a few months you'll have a good idea of what you like and what you want to change.

Good luck and welcome to the forum!

3. DrBGood

DrBGood Well-Known Member

Welcome John. Those Custom are nice.
    Can we see it in bigger photos than your avatar ?

4. Bad Penguin

Bad Penguin Active Member

[QUOTE="plankton, post: 494032, member: 8835"The electronics confuse me though, it's a three humbucker guitar but still has a volume and tone for both the neck and bridge and a 3 way toggle. Is the middle pickup always on? Is there no way to adjust it's volume or tone?
    [/QUOTE]

The way they are wired is: each pickup has it's own volume control, with a Master tone control. The neck and bridge go to the 3 way switch. You add the middle pickup via the volume control.

One possible mod would be electrical. Stew-Mac sells a 6 way toggle switch, that allows a crap load of possibilities. http://www.stewmac.com/Pickups_and_Electronics/Components_and_Parts/Free-Way_Ultra_Switch.html
    You can also upgrade your pots, and tuners.

Raiyn likes this.
  5. plankton

Well that makes more sense, especially since it agrees with exactly how I'd have done it. :rofl:

I was mislead by Epiphone's own site (and the Unofficial Epi Wiki), both which state it has two volumes and two tones.

http://www.epiphone.com/Products/SG/G-400-Custom.aspx

Not the first time I've been lead astray by a manufacturers website. :rolleyes:

I've never had a chance to play one of these, one came up for sale around here awhile back that intrigued me, but I was lacking the funds and didn't want to part with any of my current guitars.

6. Bad Penguin

I've played them, and while nice, aren't me. I HATE 3 humbucker guitars in general. Now, I wouldn't b*tch if a 3 pickup Paul Artesian fell into my lap however....

7. dub-setter

dub-setter Active Member

own one of this model as well...

did some upgrades jack,caps/nut etc....

good player so far,
    though the neck is a bit too fat for my taste
    and the poly finish a bit sticky and too thick.

Last edited: Jan 28, 2018
  8. Bad Penguin

I find that's the biggest issue with the Asian made guitars. The thick finish on the neck. So,, I tend to take some 400 grit paper, and do some light sanding, then buff it back to a semi gloss.

dub-setter likes this.
  9. dub-setter

dub-setter Active Member

did the same on mine...:)

10. XTN

XTN New Member

0AFDB4B8-3CCF-45EE-B848-546314394FAD.jpeg I love the three pickups and have a few of the single cut Les Pauls (the not SG LPs).

But I have no clue what to do with them. They just have sex appeal. Like they Rock Harder.

Stock wiring is usually middle and neck in the center switch position. I wired my Frampton tribute twice. Jonsey had a kit but it confused me. Push, pull, twist, I dunno. Then I had this brilliant idea to swap in a Super Distortion that could be activated for umph, but I can never remember the secret handshake that makes what what.

So I say disconnect the middle, save your mind and wire it up Like nature intended.

But damn they look cool.

Ace Frehley only had the bridge wired on his famous Budokan.

Then there was the smoking one.

11. manel18

manel18 New Member

Hi guys,
    I'm new to the forum. I'm looking at some Epiphone SGs g-400 custom for sale and some of them have 2-volume/2-tone knob setup like Epiphone states it has on their website but I always see people talking about 3-volume/1-tone and I've seen pictures of it as well.
    Did epiphone make different models? Am I dealing with fake models? The people selling them told me they bought them that way from the store, which is strange

12. dub-setter

dub-setter Active Member

i guess you mean the 2 pick up customs
    which come stock with 2 vol / 2 tone contrl.
    the 3 pick up ones have always 3 vol /one tone control
    if not modded /changed.

13. manel18

manel18 New Member

No, actually they have 3 pickups. I've seen two already with 2 vol/ 2 tone and 3 pickups.

For example, this one (which besides having 2/2, the knobs themselves are different and the tuners too): reverb.com/uk/item/12335222-epiphone-g-400-custom-2000s-ivory
    The owner of this one sent me a picture of the wiring but i don't really understand much about it, the switcher seems to be connected to three of the knobs which makes sense i guess.

The other one looks exactly the same as the original but with that extra tone.

Attached Files:

14. Epiphan

Epiphan Active Member

manel18 and dub-setter like this.
  15. plankton

It looks like the photo you posted is wired 2V 2T, two of the pots have capacitors that seem to be grounded to the back, so tone controls. At least one of the other pots has a capacitor, but it looks to be wired between the lugs of the pot, so a volume with a type of treble bleed circuit. At least that's what I think I can see.

16. manel18

manel18 New Member

You seem to be right. If i bought this one would it be easy to rewire to spec? I was thinking of buying new pickups for it anyway, so I wouldn't mind doing a bit more work rewiring.

17. plankton

If you know how to properly use a soldering iron and can follow a diagram then any guitar is easy to rewire.

With any mod, it's always advisable to play a new guitar the way it is for awhile and figure what you really want.

18. manel18

manel18 New Member

Thank you so much, I think I'm gonna go with it :)

Yes definitely, and I will, but btw if I were to put new pickups, do you have any recommendation?

19. plankton

Replacement pickups are a hard thing to recommend, it depends on so many factors.

Personally I prefer lower output PAF-style alnico 5 humbuckers as they provide what I'm looking for, you might be different.

I will say that I don't think it's necessary to spend a lot on pickups to get good ones. I've had good luck with stuff from Wilkinson and Vanson, and I've heard good things about Tonerider and GFS pickups as well.

Remember, the tone of OEM Epiphone pickups can often be improved greatly by upgrading the wiring harness, tweaking tone caps and simply adjusting their height. Don't forget about the tone controls on your amp either.

Good luck!