Epiphone SG Pro Limited Edition: a couple of questions

Discussion in 'Epiphone SG' started by davidrf, Apr 13, 2018.

1. davidrf

davidrf New Member

Hi there first post here!

I borrowed from a friend of mine this here brand new Epiphone SG Pro Custom Shop Limited Edition in this strange greenish/grayish color. I never owned an Epiphone (only Gibson stuff) and I'm pretty surprised on how resonant, playable and nicely sounding this litte thing is. A couple of questions:

1) Can anyone tell me for sure what kind of pickups are loaded on this guitar? I searched and the SG PRO has some kind of Epiphone Alnico Classic Pro 4, but I'm not sure if this "Custom Shop Limited Edition" has the same pickups, and I can't find a definite answer.

2) I owned a 2010 Gibson Les Paul Studio Faded Worn Cherry with stock pickups. I currently own a 2016 Gibson Les Paul Standard with Vineham custom pickups (based on Alnico II Pros) and a PRS Custom 24 with custom pickups from the italian luthier Romano Burini, modeled on classic PAFs. In comparison I find this Epiphone SG more aggressive sounding, I can definitely hear that peculiar tone everyone talks about (naturally these pickups are not even close to the pickups I have on the other guitars, especially on the clean channel, but they still are good!). The question is this: changing the SG stock pickups with something like the Alnico II Pros or PAFs will result in losing that peculiar SG tone or the guitar will retain it anyways?

3) In the clean channel, when I roll off the tone of either neck or bridge pickup, the sound becomes really muffled and muddy. Naturally, that doesn't happen in my other guitars. Could it be a problem of pots and electronics or the pickups are to blame? It would be nice to swap the pots, the capacitor and whatever and be able to get rid of this problem.

4) Is there a way to make the guitar more balanced when used with a strap? The upper pin in that position makes the guitar headstock dive down every 5 seconds... it's really bad.

Thanks a lot in advance!

Attached Files:

2. SG standard

SG standard Well-Known Member

Welcome to the form, and that's a cool looking SG you've got - great colour!

I'll leave others to comment on 1-3, but when it comes to [4] that topic can end up like dropping a bomb in this forum... :)

The subject gets discussed a bit in this thread that I started, after moving the rear strap button to provide a permanent solution on one of my SGs. You might find any of the alternative suggestions in the link helpful - the only thing I'll add is this: I missed the most important solution to neck dive in the first post, and can't edit it now... But try to remove weight from the headstock first, if you can, it'll take less work on that end of the problem than if you start trying to add weight to the body. Locking tuners or G-Force tuners are one potential weight problem, but not all locking tuners weigh the same - so if you can find lighter ones, this may be a quick and painless solution. Hope that helps!

davidrf likes this.
  3. PeteR

PeteR Active Member

it's a SG from the TV-Silver series

[​IMG]

specs are here...
    http://www.epiphone.com/Products/Electrics/SG/TV-Silver-1966-G-400-PRO.aspx

put the strap-pin on the upper horn....

[​IMG]

davidrf likes this.
  4. Clifdawg

Clifdawg Well-Known Member

PeteR is correct - TV Silver '66 G400 Pro. Really unique and cool finish. I have a '66, it's a phenomenal instrument. Had some issues with the electronics (the push-pull pots are not exactly the pinnacle of reliability), so I swapped them out on the cheap. Now, it's my primary stage axe... I love my Gibson SG to death but I prefer the Epiphone's neck and it's tone for the stuff I play at church. :thumb:

And for neck dive... It's an SG. It's part of the design of the guitar. There are a couple of methods of relocating the strap pin (either move the front pin to the upper horn, or the rear pin further up the back), but the best method is to just get a nice, thick, rough-textured suede strap. It's just a side effect of that wonderful fret access. :D

davidrf likes this.
  5. plankton

plankton Well-Known Member

I own that exact guitar. It's my favourite, number one guitar.

20171105_095415 (450x800).jpg

The pickups are Alnico Classic Pro and they have alnico 5 magnets in them. They are apparently based on the Gibson 57 classics. If you swap them for a alnico 2 pickup it will definitely change the tone.

While I find the pickups excellent, the wiring harness is crap. I rewired the whole thing, ditching the push/pull pots in the process. If you don't like the response of the tone controls you can change the cap values. I ended up with .33 nF on the bridge and .15 nF on the neck.

The neck dive thing has been talked about a lot. Mine does it a bit but I've learned to cope. If I have to let go of the neck then my right hand instinctively come in to support the guitar by the body.

DrBGood and davidrf like this.
  6. Roca

Roca Active Member

My '66 doesn't really have any dive.

7. plankton

plankton Well-Known Member

The TV Silver Pros come with Grover tuners which are fairly heavy. I believe the regular '66 Pros have the lighter vintage Kluson-style ones with the green plastic buttons.

Mine only dives a bit, and if I changed to lighter tuners it would probably stop it altogether, but I like the way the tuners look and work and the minimal diving doesn't bother me that much.

I have a cheap Ashton that has the strap button on the neck heel like an SG and that thing dives like a rocket. Using a strap is not an option, but I use that one for slide and usually like to sit anyway.

davidrf likes this.
  8. davidrf

davidrf New Member

Mhh thanks to anyone for the replies. I'm actually digging quite a lot this guitar and I'm thinking of getting one. In a store not far from my house they have the same exact guitar (Limited Edition Custom Shop) but in Artic White and it's heavily discounted because the store is going out of business... it's like 200$ new... mmmmmmhhhhhhh

Roca likes this.
  9. Col Mustard

Col Mustard Well-Known Member

that's when you know you have to pounce..