Epiphone SG Special VE

Discussion in 'Epiphone SG' started by hraffe, Jan 9, 2018.

1. hraffe

hraffe New Member

I saw this beauty online just a few days ago and had to make an order!

[​IMG]

It looks like a genuine workhorse to me. The worn color seems to look quite stunning. I love the fact that Epiphone removed the "Special" marking from the headstock as well.

What do you guys think about it? I'll give you an update when I have it nevertheless. :)

Here's a link to Epiphone with the specs:
    http://www.epiphone.com/Products/SG/SG-Special-VE.aspx

Last edited: Jan 9, 2018
    Yes G and Clifdawg like this.
  2. Chubbles

Chubbles Active Member

Looks pretty, but underneath it all, it's still a special. Hey, I love mine, I'm just saying. I tend to replace electronics and pickups and stuff. I enjoy it, kind of a hobby.

3. hraffe

hraffe New Member

Indeed, seems to be the same electronics and hardware. Only difference is that I think it's missing the killpot feature. I'm with you all the way on this one, you can't expect too much from a cheap Epiphone and I'm sure there's some work needed to get it to play well. On the other hand, the new special line looks great and kind of premium in my opinion. :)

Did you change the tuners on your special? I've heard they tend to suck. I've had a few special II models in the past though and if I'm not mistaken they have the same kind of tuners. Those tuners did work pretty well if I recall correctly, but I'm still a bit concerned.

4. DrBGood

DrBGood Well-Known Member

As usual, if you have tuning problems, think of locking your strings properly on the posts. If the problem remains, tweaking the nut before going the tuner route is a must.

5. hraffe

hraffe New Member

Never had any tuning issues in the past, just curious of the quality of the Epiphone SG Special tuners. I agree with you though, it seems too many guitarists blame the tuners even though it's seldom the actual issue of the tuning stability.

6. Chubbles

Chubbles Active Member

I put Grovers 18:1s. I love them. Since that project, I used vintage style on a cheapie import. I am crazy about the Fender vintage styles. I might look for appropriate vintage first. Ya don't have to enlarge the holes.

7. Clifdawg

Clifdawg Well-Known Member

I dig the use of the full TOM instead of wraparound, and the lack of the "Special" script.

As for tuning stability, I recently set up a Special for a friend who bought it for his son to learn. I didn't have any issues - the tuners are cheap, certainly, but they were smooth. He was also lucky to get a model with a well-cut nut; the ever-problematic G string probably held tune better than my Gibson's does.

IMHO, 90% of tuning problems are related to the nut (or saddles, if it has a tremolo), rather than the tuners. :smile:

8. hraffe

hraffe New Member

Thanks! I probably won't go for vintage tuners. I have tried Harley Benton tuners in the past and they are exceptional for the price, so I'll probably go with some of those if I dislike the original tuners.

Yeah, I was never interested in the wraparound bridges Epiphone has for some of their cheaper models. I will add a roller bridge though since I always break strings with standard bridges for some reason, haha.

Good to hear that the tuners worked fine for you. Now I don't feel as concerned. :) I never had any nut issues with Epiphone guitars, but Gibson is another story altogether. My current Gibson SG has a great nut, but I had a Gibson Les Paul in the past that had huge nut issues. It was basically unplayable so I opted to return it.

9. hraffe

hraffe New Member

I got the guitar today. It was pretty well setup from the factory. String height was a bit high and some sharp fret ends, but that will be easy to fix. Rehearsed with the guitar today as well without even changing the strings, but it went fine.

The guitar is gorgeous and my band mates couldn't believe how cheap it was, haha. I'll upload some pics tomorrow after giving the guitar a proper setup. :)

10. Paully

Paully Active Member

Gots 1 2 0313182257a.jpg

Yes G likes this.