Epiphone SG400 input jack cross-threaded

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by Marblehead Johnson, Feb 15, 2020.

1. Marblehead Johnson

Marblehead Johnson New Member

Hi everyone - might sound a daft question, but as the title suggests, my input jack has a cross threaded washer, leaving my jack loose fitting. Does anyone have a suggestion as to how best to fix this? I can’t keep the jack from rotating in the body and don’t want to put too much pressure on the component & crack it...

DrBGood likes this.
  2. donepearce

donepearce Well-Known Member

New jack. They aren't that dear. (And BTW, it's an output jack. The input jack is on the amp) :)

3. Marblehead Johnson

You’re right. Maybe that’s why my guitar sounds so bad - it’s all wired up inside out & back to front!

donepearce likes this.
  4. DrBGood

DrBGood Well-Known Member

Yeah, donepearce is right. Not much else to do than replace it. Any technician will do it in 5 minutes if you don't know how.

And welcome to the SG Zoo.
    Marblehead like in Massachusett ?

Now you need to show us a real photo of that SG :thumb:

5. Marblehead Johnson

Thanks both - cheap as it may be, replacement will have to wait (possible redundancies at work. Booo!).

Marblehead Johnson is the name of a song by my favourite band - The Bluetones.

You want a pic? Happy to oblige!

Attached Files:

6. DrBGood

DrBGood Well-Known Member

Nice one. It looks to be recent. Did you buy it new ? If so, go back to the store so they can look at it and get it fixed.

Did you hold on to the jack from inside the back cavity while trying to tighten it ?

First, make sure it's not the nut itself that is bad. If so it would be a simple thing to replace it. If not, it should bite at the top od the jack thread. So, try to add 1 or 2 washers so when you screw the nut back on, it will bite on some higher thread that is not damaged.

Hope you keep your job.

7. Marblehead Johnson

Thanks - work is a pain, but it does pay for the SG! Tried holding the jack internally but can’t keep the thing steady enough - the nut is bound on real tight. The SG is about 18 months old now, I’m trying to find a luthier as it needs a proper set up now. Some fierce low end fret buzz, general electrical hum and there’s an issue with the treble pots. Sure it’s easy to sort once you know what’s what.

8. donepearce

donepearce Well-Known Member

If you can get the nut off, unsolder the jack and take it out. You may then be able to use a fine file and restore enough of the thread to get the nut turning properly again.