Ever built an LP Log inspired guitar?

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by Layne Matz, Jul 13, 2018.

1. Layne Matz

Layne Matz Active Member

Out of curiosity have you ever seen someone build a replica or copy?

What if you tried to do it how Les Paul originally did it?

Would be fun if you had the money and time to spend on it.

2. Norlin SG

Norlin SG Well-Known Member

Wouldn't not take a lot of money so much, mostly time. But why would you? The log was Les's proof of concept for what was in his head and wasn't even taken seriously until Leo fender came along with the Fender Esquire which ultimately became the Telecaster.

To compete with Leo Fender, Gibson ginned up a prototype and asked LP to endorse it. Les Paul's input into the LP model was just about zero, but he did like it and the rest is history.

Even though LP was forward thinking for the day, he didn't invent the electric guitar. But he did help Gibson capitalize on it.

Gibson was making these as early as 1936.

[​IMG]
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gibson_ES-150

Last edited: Jul 14, 2018 at 2:45 AM
    Layne Matz and Lunacy the Faded like this.
  3. Layne Matz

Layne Matz Active Member

Why you ask?
    For the sheer hell and experience of it.
    Im also curious how acoustic the log was with and without the hollowbody sides. If i had money to spedn and time for extensive unneccessary projects i would do it. Its a learning eexperience at the vary least- plus if you do it alright(easier said than done) you might have a fun playable instrument that inspires you one way or another.

4. Norlin SG

Good points. It would be a fun project that could teach you something that never occurred to you before. To do it right, you would need a donor acoustic guitar and a band saw mostly. I'll bet you could find an acoustic with a straight neck where the top is bellying and not playable for pretty cheap.

From what I read, Les built it in the Gretsch factory from a production model Gretsch acoustic and as far as I know Gretsch may not have made electric guitars in the 40's so there may not have been any donor electric guitar parts available in the factory.

It would take a bunch of research to get parts that were period correct.

Layne Matz likes this.
  5. Layne Matz

Layne Matz Active Member

I read it was an Epiphone factory, I could be wrong. This might be substantiated by the early crude vibrola that can be seen in pictures of it. I think the Vibrola was mainly a Gibson and Epiphone thing. Gretschs had Bigsbys, but I think ive seen earlier models of acoustocs eith odd no name vibrato tailpiece systems.

It just occurred to me that one of these could make neat 6 string lap steel.

6. Norlin SG

Ya, it could have been the Epiphone factory. My memory isn't what it used to be. A lap steel would even be easier.

7. Layne Matz

Layne Matz Active Member

Been there, done that:thumb:
    http://www.everythingsg.com/threads/classy-homeade-lap-steel-one-of-a-kind-pickup.33712/#post-493821

I have since installed those electeonics in my acoustoc guitar. I need to get some new pots and wires so I can wire a stratocaster humbucker on there. When i was practicing with another guitarist it waa just too much to bring with along side my acoustic, my SG for fingerstyle, my strat for slide and once my SG Bass. I wixh i would use it more. Regular 6 string pleases me enough.

8. Layne Matz

Layne Matz Active Member

Someday ehen i can afford it I'll fix up the lap steel. Whenever i have spare money it isnt reallt spare because theres always a bill of some form to be paid, it sucks.

Gotta love this "capitalistic" American life.