Ever Have A Guitar.........

Discussion in 'Other Guitars' started by guitarweasel, May 30, 2008.

1. guitarweasel

guitarweasel Well-Known Member

.......That you just couldn't make friends with?

Mine is this one.......[img width=360 height=480]http://i51.photobucket.com/albums/f374/jabel54/Gear/Marshall_and_PRS-2.jpg[/img]

I've owned 4 PRSs, none of them impressed me, but I told myself "I would like this guitar" BUT I've done everything imaginable to it and it still doesn't sound right, plays great, but the tone ain't making it. I have a pair of B/K Mississippi Queens that are going in it, maybe it's just me, I dunno, but if that doesn't work............EBAY!!!!

Anyone else ever run into one of "Those Guitars?"

2. Pickngrin

Pickngrin Member

Wow, I bet a lot of people would like to have that guitar. I can't think of anyone I know that doesnt like PRS guitars.....then again, they are expensive, so...I guess I really dont know many guys that own them.

3. Orang Goreng

Orang Goreng Member

For me it's this one, a heavily modified '66 Firebird. It sounded great, but I could never play it. I ended up giving it away.

[​IMG]

4. guitarweasel

[quote author=Pickngrin link=topic=17029.msg212598#msg212598 date=1212154560]
    Wow, I bet a lot of people would like to have that guitar. I can't think of anyone I know that doesnt like PRS guitars.....then again, they are expensive, so...I guess I really dont know many guys that own them.
    [/quote]

Yep, they are expensive, that one is an Artist Series...I'm thinking it's me. This is my main gigging guitar...
    [img width=360 height=480]http://i51.photobucket.com/albums/f374/jabel54/Gear/Doublecut008.jpg[/img]
    Gibsons answer to PRS I suppose, but with 24 frets a beautiful top and about $ 3000.00 less!!!

5. guitarweasel

[quote author=Orang Goreng link=topic=17029.msg212600#msg212600 date=1212154983]
    For me it's this one, a heavily modified '66 Firebird. It sounded great, but I could never play it. I ended up giving it away.

[​IMG]
    [/quote]

Orang.......Next time you wan't to give away a guitar let me know!! ;D

6. q-4000-SG Guy

q-4000-SG Guy New Member

I love the way PRS look but can't play one either and i cant quite pinpoint why had the same problem with every 335 ive played

7. Spunky

Spunky Active Member

Weas.....

Put in a set of the PRS Santana III pickups......You may like it...

8. everdying

everdying Well-Known Member

me and fenders dont get along.
    i've had 3 along the way, none of them stayed with me for more than 3 months each.

9. q-4000-SG Guy

q-4000-SG Guy New Member

i know how that is Fenders just dont seem to stay together when i play them

10. Constellation80

Constellation80 Member

Any guitar with a floyd rose !!!!! :D

I've had 2 Jackson Randy Rhodes with them.
    My first gig ever, and the springs on my floyd gave out. A
    t the time it was my only guitar and ID never ever thought of bringing back up or a gear kit. So my first gig was cancelled half way though the first song lololol

11. guitarweasel

Sometimes a Floyd is a necessary evil. So long as it's set right, they're fine......but make on small mistake!! :BangHead: :BangHead:

12. q-4000-SG Guy

q-4000-SG Guy New Member

[quote author=Constellation80 link=topic=17029.msg212618#msg212618 date=1212181451]
    Any guitar with a floyd rose !!!!! :D

I've had 2 Jackson Randy Rhodes with them.
    My first gig ever, and the springs on my floyd gave out. A
    t the time it was my only guitar and ID never ever thought of bringing back up or a gear kit. So my first gig was cancelled half way though the first song lololol
    [/quote]how did the springs go out? just currious

13. SGtone

SGtone Member

[quote author=guitarweasel link=topic=17029.msg212597#msg212597 date=1212154319]
    .......That you just couldn't make friends with?

Mine is this one.......[img width=360 height=480]http://i51.photobucket.com/albums/f374/jabel54/Gear/Marshall_and_PRS-2.jpg[/img][/quote]

I don't know about the guitar, but I sure would like to have that amp :Droolin:!
    The real thing or the reissue?

14. Constellation80

Constellation80 Member

They suddenly lost there strength, no matter how much you tightend the screws, the strings pulled the bridge completely forward.
    The next day I bought some new springs and it was instantly fixed.

15. Gadjet

Gadjet Member

Actually I hear a lot of the opposite.... great playing well made but bland, generic, sterile sounding is what I hear a lot.. I was really hot on getting one but have been pretty much talked out ot it... The Gibby is the pic might be Gibson reponse to PRS but is definately goes up against Hamer.... I've heard great things about the LP double cut.. I have a Hamer Special FM with some switching mods(PRS type stuff) that is my main..

16. oldrockfan

oldrockfan Well-Known Member

I love the bird inlays and agree they are really well built but I have never really been able to play a PRS either. I think it is that wide flat fretboard. Just doesn't feel right in my hands. Oh and I am not a huge fan of the colors on alot of PRS although yours looks very nice weas.

I seem to lean more towards gibson although I do love my older strat too.

17. MGrd

MGrd Member

I used to have a Fender Jaguar.
    I liked the look but I couldn't get along with the short scale. I couldn't play open chords at the first
    two frets.

I sold it and bought a Fender Strat which I'm very happy with, both the scale and the twangy sound
    (which the Jaguar lacked, too).

18. TheOwl

TheOwl Member

[quote author=everdying link=topic=17029.msg212614#msg212614 date=1212173933]
    me and fenders dont get along.
    i've had 3 along the way, none of them stayed with me for more than 3 months each.
    [/quote]

Same for me, I have TRIED to like Fenders but I just do not like playing them (despite the fact they get very cool and unique tones). My major complaint with Fenders is they seem to fight you at every turn, playing one for me feels like an act of self-abuse sometimes.

I also have a major aversion to 80's hair metal/pointy guitars, especially when the whammy bar looks like it could be used to launch rockets from, plus the tone is that obnoxious scooped mid thing I hate so much.

19. Strange Brew

Strange Brew Well-Known Member

+1 for Fender Jaguars here

I also agree with the PRS comments, in general... although I now own one that I like - a 1995 custom 22. - I've owned 4 others which were dry and toneless...

20. guitarweasel

I just dropped an Iommi ( finally found a gold one.) in the bridge, it's better, but I'm still waiting on the Mississippi Queens.