Ever Have A Guitar.........

Discussion in 'Other Guitars' started by guitarweasel, May 30, 2008.

1. Constellation80

Constellation80 Member

The local shop had a gold top PRS here a while ago, that was a complete dud. Countless people tried it and hated it. I thought he would never sell it at his asking price.
    The other guitar I had that I grew to hate. Was my Ovation 12 string custom. I got it for cheap and it was a beautiful looking guitar. The neck angle was lousy. It cracked and no one could fix it.
    And the weird thing is. When I played it, is sounded flat dull and lifeless. Yet it actually projected an amazing sound that was extremely loud. And even though I mentally knew It was sounding good for the people I played it for. I just couldn't get over the blah feeling it gave me to play it.

2. MauritsP

MauritsP Member

A 80's Daion Mark XX I used to own but just couldn't connect with. A really beautifully made guitar it just wasn't right for me.
    [img width=320 height=480]http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y284/Maurits112/Daion%20Power%20Series%20Mark%20XX/DCP_3421.jpg[/img]

3. guitarweasel

guitarweasel Well-Known Member

[quote author=Constellation80 link=topic=17029.msg212996#msg212996 date=1212724595]
    The local shop had a gold top PRS here a while ago, that was a complete dud. Countless people tried it and hated it. I thought he would never sell it at his asking price.
    The other guitar I had that I grew to hate. Was my Ovation 12 string custom. I got it for cheap and it was a beautiful looking guitar. The neck angle was lousy. It cracked and no one could fix it.
    And the weird thing is. When I played it, is sounded flat dull and lifeless. Yet it actually projected an amazing sound that was extremely loud. And even though I mentally knew It was sounding good for the people I played it for. I just couldn't get over the blah feeling it gave me to play it.
    [/quote]

My buddy at GC had a PRS McCarty with P-90s, absolutely gorgeous guitar! Natural quilt top Bird inlays, they had it there a couple years, the guitar was god awful to play and sounded like crap! Honestly The stuff PRS is importing now seems to be better than the USA stuff!

4. Arlabester

Arlabester Active Member

[​IMG]

the mahogany always got mucky and it would never stay in tune and always be neck heavy! god, im so glad i got rid of that thing! the neck pickup even gave out and i had to rip it out.

5. q-4000-SG Guy

q-4000-SG Guy New Member

Yet another victim of Arlabester riping a guitar apart you have really bad luck with pickups don't you? i think over the years i have had maby 4 pickups go out on me but that was in about 100 guitars! what exactly are you doing to kill these pickups?... you wont get the same effect of an ebow if you use a taser!

6. SGFAN-ATIC

SGFAN-ATIC New Member

I had an 87' Strat Plus for 15 years. I never bonded with that guitar. I tried everything, new pups, pickguard, pots, added a bone nut, even painted it... still never did it for me. When I traded it off, I didn't even flinch.

[img width=167 height=480]http://i300.photobucket.com/albums/nn29/jnapruitt_photos/IMG_0356.jpg[/img]

7. Constellation80

Constellation80 Member

I think PRS , Gibson etc.. all fall under the weight of their own sucess. And the need to mass produce guitars as fast as they can.
    I have an original acoustic Larivee. That was hand made by him. A L09 rosewood. When I took it to the dealer, they tried to buy it off me on the spot. While I was in the store I decided to look at a new L09. I couldn't belive the differnce!!! The new L09 looked completly like a cheap knock off compared to mine. And yet was still a $2700 can guitar. In order to mass produce them they simplified the inlays, used a lower grade of wood. And changed the neck to be more like a modern martin. I was shocked at the differnce!

8. revelroy

revelroy Member

In 1987,I had traded off a 74 lp custom 20th anniv + cash, to buy a new cherry 335 dot.
    within 5 mins of playing, the neck would feel grimy and sticky, and withing weeks, the hardware started to 'corrode'. The neck was also fatter than i was used to.
    Guess what? 20 years later, I finally bonded with it. Turns out, the 'corroded' hardware is NICKEL, so now it is PATINA, the grimy feeling neck issue seems to have dissapeared [I've read that that sometimes happens with nitro, that it takes time to 'cure' properly?], and I've grown to LOVE fat necks. fortunately, the pickups/sound was never and issue.
    I changed the cheap looking all black knobs to 'reflector' top knobs, and replaced the stock short pickguard with a LONG one to give it more of a vintage vibe. The only beef i still have w/ it is that the finish looks more like PAINT than STAIN; can't see the geain of the wood as much as i'd like. At one point I considered investing in a re-fin, but I learned to restrain myself from that kind of stuff for the sake of keeping it 'stock' [i still have the old knobs/pickguard in case they need to go back on'...

9. TNT

TNT Active Member

To be honest I have to put the '65 Jr I had in this category but it really wasn't the guitar's fault. It did what it was made for and what it was supposed to do. I am moving in a direction that the Jr just wouldn't feasibly go and there's no sense to me in keeping a guitar that probably wouldn't get played that often.

10. Arlabester

Arlabester Active Member

[quote author=q-4000-SG Guy link=topic=17029.msg213136#msg213136 date=1212876946]
    Yet another victim of Arlabester riping a guitar apart you have really bad luck with pickups don't you? i think over the years i have had maby 4 pickups go out on me but that was in about 100 guitars! what exactly are you doing to kill these pickups?... you wont get the same effect of an ebow if you use a taser!

[/quote]actually, i only ripped one apart. learn some things and maybe you can talk.

11. guitarweasel

[quote author=Arlabester link=topic=17029.msg213249#msg213249 date=1212966401]
    actually, i only ripped one apart. learn some things and maybe you can talk.
    [/quote]

If I have to lock down my own thread the 2 of you are gonna get a major internet a$$ whoopin. >:(

12. 74 Jailbreak

74 Jailbreak Member

[quote author=TNT link=topic=17029.msg213196#msg213196 date=1212929161]
    To be honest I have to put the '65 Jr I had in this category but it really wasn't the guitar's fault. It did what it was made for and what it was supposed to do. I am moving in a direction that the Jr just wouldn't feasibly go and there's no sense to me in keeping a guitar that probably wouldn't get played that often.
    [/quote]

Do you mean the one that BW did for ya? If so... :Droolin:

13. Constellation80

Constellation80 Member

I remember when PRS's became huge when I was a teenager. They seemed so sleek and modern. Now when I look at them they seem to reek of 1990's and of bands like creed. It's weird when I was a kid it seemed like only country singers played tele's but now they seem to be the guitar of choice. I'd pick a good tele or a PRS any day

14. q-4000-SG Guy

q-4000-SG Guy New Member

[quote author=guitarweasel link=topic=17029.msg213250#msg213250 date=1212968666]
    If I have to lock down my own thread the 2 of you are gonna get a major internet a$$ whoopin. >:(
    [/quote]I will chill GW..

and everything is going to be re reversed

15. chasbo

chasbo Member

[quote author=Pickngrin link=topic=17029.msg212598#msg212598 date=1212154560]
    Wow, I bet a lot of people would like to have that guitar. I can't think of anyone I know that doesnt like PRS guitars.....then again, they are expensive, so...I guess I really dont know many guys that own them.
    [/quote]

I can't stand em myself. I have had a couple that I never bonded with. Great playing guitars, but to me they lack any balls in the tone department. No offence intended to those of you that love them. I would take an SG Standard any day over them.

chuck

16. guitarweasel

[quote author=chasbo link=topic=17029.msg215328#msg215328 date=1215362004]
    I can't stand em myself. I have had a couple that I never bonded with. Great playing guitars, but to me they lack any balls in the tone department. No offence intended to those of you that love them. I would take an SG Standard any day over them.

chuck
    [/quote]

Ditto.

17. IommiSG

IommiSG Member

In an interview last year with Alex Lifeson and Geddy Lee, Geddy said he much preferred Alex' tone when playing a GIBSON rather than a PRS. Alex got into PRS after his Strat years, when he was going for a cleaner/thinner tone. I totally agree, I much prefer the fat, warm tone of just about any Gibson over a PRS.

And you can add me to the list of players who have never been able to make friends w/a Fender. Not knocking them, but agree that it seems you have to be willing to do battle w/the things...

18. SrDedosRapidos

SrDedosRapidos New Member

I loves me the versatility, but PRS's i think are built to do many different things pretty good and very few things outstandingly so...

I think every guitar ive owned thus far has been "One of those..." I got lucky and FINALLY found my amp. I had the same problem with those.... I had a Vox, an ashdown and ive never really liked many Marshalls (*gasp! im going to hell yes) so i was really running out of options...

but now im on a quest for a good guitar. This is significantly harder :( I feel your pain

19. guitarweasel

The PRS is now for sale. >:(

20. madguitarsolo

madguitarsolo Active Member

I never got on with my first guitar which was a squier strat, and also the Ibanez S520EX I had. I really liked the Ibanez and I got some good sounds from it but it wasn't really my style, so I didn't bond with it. Me and my Epi G-1275 aren't seeing eye to eye either. I am comfortable playing it and when I do it's not a chore so it's not because is big, but I just don't like the overall feel of it. But now I've tried a doubleneck I think I'd get on with a Gibson one. So I'm going to sell the Epi. -Anyone interested?