Ever Have A Guitar.........

Discussion in 'Other Guitars' started by guitarweasel, May 30, 2008.

1. chasbo

chasbo Member

[quote author=IommiSG link=topic=17029.msg217470#msg217470 date=1217969810]
    In an interview last year with Alex Lifeson and Geddy Lee, Geddy said he much preferred Alex' tone when playing a GIBSON rather than a PRS. Alex got into PRS after his Strat years, when he was going for a cleaner/thinner tone. I totally agree, I much prefer the fat, warm tone of just about any Gibson over a PRS.

And you can add me to the list of players who have never been able to make friends w/a Fender. Not knocking them, but agree that it seems you have to be willing to do battle w/the things...
    [/quote]

I saw Rush play a month ago and Alex used LP's almost exclusively. Now keep in mind I have seen every tour for the last couple decades and I have to say that his tone was so huge this tour that I was shocked at the difference over last tour where he played several of his PRS's. Alot of the late 80's/90's numbers they did sounded 1000 percent better than before. So much more ballsy and raw than I remember from before. That show made a total believer out of me.

2. guitarweasel

guitarweasel Well-Known Member

I'm sure the stacks of Triamps helped. :)

3. SG John

SG John Well-Known Member

I have a '96 American standard Strat that I absolutely hate. It's a gorgeous guitar, but the neck and sound is terrible. It's been for sale for a while, but will soon be making a journey with me and a bunch of other stuff I can't deal with as stuff for trade. I hope to end up with an ES-335 after the smoke clears.

As for Alex, I've seen them several times between the late '70's and mid eighties. His best tone was when he was playing Gibsons. Especially his ES-345, ES-355, Les Paul, and double necks. He was using far less processing gear in those days, and his cleaner tones were to die for.

4. SG dan

SG dan Active Member

I dont have any guitars im not fond of. Although i did go through a couple amps, namely Marshall MG50 (elch!) and Fender hot rod deluxe, which had maybe the best cleans i've heard, but didnt have the overdrive i wanted sadly :(

5. IommiSG

IommiSG Member

I have to agree for me that's it's every Fender I've owned. I love guys like Robin Trower and the tone he gets, just can't make friends with a Fender.

I fixed that by having a Carvin DC 400 built. Got the Fender scale length vibe, trem, etc, but a nice Gibby-like 12" radius fretboard, and super low action.

6. Kevy Nova

Kevy Nova Well-Known Member

I've owned at least 30 guitars and the worst was a Gibson LP Studio. I bought it in 1990, it was one of the first ones that had trapezoid inlays instead of dots but I hated it! The only time it sounded decent was when I used the bridge pickup with a TON of distortion. The neck pickup was useless and the whole guitar sounded awful when I played it clean. It had a real nasally tone that I just couldn't stand. I spent $1000 on that guitar and ended up trading it for a $400 Strat, and I already had two Strats!

By the way, I happen to love Fenders because you really have to fight with them. I like the fact that they make you work harder I guess.

7. Constellation80

Constellation80 Member

I have a love hate relationship with my strat. When it's set, it plays like a dream. But the min it starts going out, it's out really bad. And it seems to take me forever to get the sweet spot again. I'll spend hours fiddling with it. Unlike My Sg that I can set in 5 mins in a dark dingy bar surrounded by people lolol

8. IommiSG

IommiSG Member

madguitarsg, I have a white Gibson EDS1275, and am wondering what, specifically you don't like about the Epi version?

My doubleneck spends most of it's time on display. There is a reason why Alex and Jimmy only used them for one or two songs, they're a bear to manage. There is no perfect length for your strap, one neck is either too high or low, and they weigh a ton. I run thru Xanadu a couple of times with it and hang it back up. $3200 is alot of $ for a guitar with such limited usefullness.

The signed guy I manage and produce is doing a just-for-fun RUSH tribute band, and he's going to be using it and my white 335.

Even with all the issues above, the thing does drip cool..