Ever think about a permanent move to a foriegn country?

Discussion in 'The Backstage' started by Biddlin, Oct 4, 2018.

1. Biddlin

Biddlin Well-Known Member

I've been thinking about happiness, an everyday general happy mood, a lot lately. I'm not desperately unhappy but I don't see any bright changes in my future at this time in this place.
    I like to think (overly optimistically) that I have another twenty years marking my place on earth and I would rather be happy than on the treadmill my current circumstances dictate.
    I am seriously thinking of moving to Arrecife, Canary Is. Spain.
    My missus is not overly critical of this thinking, but points out the practical needs to achieve this goal. She also sees the difficulty of get-togethers with family and friends an ocean away.
    I am weighing those and other factors.
    Has anyone done this in their life?

Layne Matz likes this.
  2. sazista

sazista Active Member

Did it. Now in Chile. Just make sure that you like your newly adopted cultural context. Most importantly...is there access to SGs there?

Biddlin likes this.
  3. Biddlin

Well, I'd be taking my collection with me. One of the things I find most appealing about the Canary Islands is that the culture, while obviously Spanish influenced, is much more diverse. Lot's of English and Dutch expats as well as others.

4. plankton

plankton Well-Known Member

Yep, been living in Australia for a decade now. Far away from my family and friends, but my wife's family is here and I've made some new friends. Thankfully my mum is able to come visit every couple years. I like the lifestyle here more, I think living in the US I was much more stressed.

Biddlin likes this.
  5. AngelDeVille

AngelDeVille Well-Known Member

In the next 10-15 years I plan to move to SE Asia.

6. Layne Matz

Layne Matz Active Member

As a low income 18 year old I've considered it many times. I'll settle for getting out of the deep south and relocating to Colorado or Nevada. Overseas, Ive considered Brazil, Greenland, Australia, and New Zealand. New Zealand seems to be the most logical for my personal prefrences, goals and interests.

I know I didnt answer your question. Sorry.

7. Gahr

Gahr Well-Known Member

Sometimes I wish I lived somewhere else, simply because the weather sucks. But then I remember how much I love the place I live and how much I hate moving house. I have decided not to move anywhere until I die. And when I die I'm considering sticking around in mys house still.

But seriously: When I retire I hope I'll be well enough off to buy or rent a house somewhere in southern Europe. My sister owns a house in Alicante, Spain, and after having spent a couple of weeks there a few summers, I can definitely see the charm. Cheaper food (and a greater variety than here), warm weather. I'd easily spend most of the winter and parts of the rest of the year in a place like that. But I don't think I would move permanently.

Biddlin likes this.
  8. deMelo

deMelo Well-Known Member

It depends highly on what you expect from the place you're aiming at.

It's mandatory, IMHO, to take several trips to the desired country and stay there for a good while to evaluate the resident life. It's too often quite different from the tourist's experience.

When we travel, we tend to look at the differences as advantages, and we like the "hey, this is nothing like back home" feeling. But after a while this may become a PITA.

I did study in a foreign country, not too far away but with several cultural/economical/social differences and I tell you: as much as I liked being there, I wouldn't LIVE there for good. No no.

And keep in mind that ANY place will have their own problems, unless you do like Biddlin said and live a retirement (with money) in a cool island with low crime rates, beaches and all that jazz.

Someone said Brazil up there. I say, are you crazy? Take a look at our crime rates, our currency value, our laws and our politics, and maybe you'll change your mind. And assuming you're a US citizen, God damn... I say GOD DAMN.

Answering the original question, if I were younger, I'd probably try to live in California (or anywhere else in the US thet wasn't too cold in the Winter). But I know I'd have other problems there.

plankton likes this.
  9. Biddlin

As it happens, I was born in Toccoa, GA. (Can't get much deeper south) I have been back to the South for visits and lived in Texas briefly in the 1980s, but find too much history to deal with on a daily basis. Coloradans tend to be very laid back friendly folk. Nevada is a mixed bag. Neither has good fried chicken or biscuits and gravy.

Layne Matz likes this.
  10. Tiboy

Tiboy Member

Research the quality, availability and cost of healthcare. Unless you’re very lucky, you’re likely to need it as you grow older.

11. Gahr

Gahr Well-Known Member

That is one of the main reasons I never will leave Norway permanently.

12. plankton

And one of the reasons I like living in Australia.

13. Biddlin

One factor, to be sure. Almost anywhere in the western world outside of the USA. it's nationalized and cheaper. Quality in UK and EU countries is good.
    I have reasonably good health insurance and medicare, cost me a bundle and I still end up waiting for service, so.....

14. GrumpyOldDBA

GrumpyOldDBA Active Member

Colorados nice but not cheap and winters can be unpredictable. Too hot in Nevada.

Cleveland is affordable and lots of music and jobs are somewhat findable.

Layne Matz likes this.
  15. GrumpyOldDBA

GrumpyOldDBA Active Member

Wife and i also have been pondering where we end up. I like idea of france maybe or ireland.

But kids likely to stay here so then where?

I like woodstock new york but pricey. St Ignace on michigans up? Or up on thumb of michigan maybe dunno or lake superior.

I like winter and skiing but well for how long?

Best luck sorting it out biddlin!

Plus well the house here is paid for ... might end up touring the US in Honda pilot im not a camper much ...

16. Chubbles

Chubbles Active Member

I keep a passport in case this country (US) goes to heck and I have to split. My wife and kids too. But the US is a big country with many states and differences. I've lived in NH for a year and loved the slower pace of life. They take care if snow quick. A slower pace of life and legalized pot (in case I need it) would be nice. Oh, I need it. Jk

Layne Matz likes this.
  17. plankton

I spent some time living in Colorado and Vermont, both much more laid back "do as you please" sort of places with a lot of open space and natural beauty.

In contrast, most of my life was spent living around the Boston area, and while it's a great city, there's just too many people and way too hectic for me.

Layne Matz and Chubbles like this.
  18. Layne Matz

Layne Matz Active Member

Im grew up in Minnesota and Tennessee(Nashville) in my teens. Currently living in Northeastern Alabama. Nevada has a lot of things that draw me there, abandoned mines, snow, lots of caves, recreational cannabis... Im a little sick of backwards laws. South is good to put perspective on life but I wouldnt want to settle down here long term. Lets not mention the overabundance of blind faith and patriotism or the excess number of churches and all things commercial.

Nevada heat cant be much worse than down here in Alabama, and I dont own an AC unit!
    The winters in Colorado and the land prices are what make me search elsewhere. I love winter, dont get me wrong Minnesota winters are the most intense and dangerous in the US excluding Alaska and maybe Maine due to the ocean. Minnesota winters always drop at least to -30° for a week or more. Worst one I remember school finally got cancelled because it was -60°. I intend to be living out of a vehicle till I can build a tiny house, heavy winters are not condcucive to farming much of anything. Oh, and I'm a vegetarian which rules out hunting and fishing- I dont have theheart to kill unless I'm in danger. The foothills of mountians in Nevada are significantly cooler and often offer access to running water.

Im hijacking this thread!

Last edited: Oct 12, 2018 at 4:10 AM
  19. drown

drown Well-Known Member

Immigrated to the US from Canada at 27. Expatriated myself to China age 42. Lived in Mexico, Peru, Indonesia at other points in time. Easier when younger, but money can make up the difference as you get older. Back in the US now but who knows for how long.

20. sazista

sazista Active Member

The emigration issue is going to me more common than in previous decades for US folks seeking a more comfortable place. "Drown" has had a multitude of cultural contexts to choose from: wow, China, Peru, Indonesia. Ah, I can imagine the food options!!! Indonesian tempeh!!!! Chile is getting easier to be vegetarian now, though there are some ingredients that are still lacking. BUT, you can find good guitars, though you'll be paying higher prices, compared to those in the US. I just posted a nice looking 2005 SG that is on sale here with some funky inlay on the headstock. It is going for 800,000 pesos (don't bother with the conversion, because it will always be outrageous in comparison).