Experimental 2X10" cab

Discussion in 'Amps & Cabs' started by DrBGood, Nov 14, 2019.

1. DrBGood

DrBGood Well-Known Member

I just finished building that small exprimental cab with speakers at 90°. It perfectly complement the MV50 Boutique.

It's interesting to have different projections in the studio, to be more aware of the room acoustic. Tone doesn't shift as you move in front of the cab.

Of course I built it with recycled ¾" plywood and some pine, and a X-Man Race medal as a jack plate ... LOL I put it up front to see it ;)
    Open 1/3 in the back.

Two Celestion VOX VX10 30W speakers, paid $29.98 US ... for the pair. They come form Sweetwater when they upgrade AC4TV and AC4TVC.

Cab 90° 2X10.jpg

X-Man jack.jpg

GrumpyOldDBA, PixMix and pedecamp like this.
  2. pedecamp

pedecamp Well-Known Member

Very interesting :yesway:

3. DrBGood

DrBGood Well-Known Member

Wow ... I'm flabergasted !

I switched back and forth for an hour, between this one and my other 2X10" (exact same speakers) with first the MV50 and then with the Super Champ XD and I can say that the 90° cab has much much more presence in the room. It sounds fuller on every frequencies, clean and dirty. That is with my two Vintage G400 and my LP Ultra. Still have to test with P90s, but I expect no less.

Volume might have something to do in the equation. There's about 20% less cubic inches in the conventional cab. I can't believe it could change the presence like that.

Last edited: Nov 14, 2019
  4. Norton

Norton Well-Known Member

Watkins dominator. Gibson made a couple combos with the same vibe.

Not a 90* spread maybe 45??

The Gibson’s were stereo. The concept is incredible sounding if you can get any kind of stereo thing going. Say trem on one channel and dry or verb on the other?

Nice work.

5. donepearce

donepearce Well-Known Member

London, helping a friend design a knitting machine
    If you use it for gigs, stand it at 45 degrees so the whole audience gets some of the goodness. Cabinet volume is an interesting thing. When you put two drivers in a box, they effectively get half the volume each, so preserve the sound you had with one driver, you need to double up on the box volume. But whatever, I like that design - it should do good things.

DrBGood likes this.