Faded Special SG vs Standard?

Discussion in 'Gibson SG' started by RollnROCK89, Jan 17, 2005.

1. RollnROCK89

RollnROCK89 New Member

Hey, I was wondering, what are the main differences between a faded special sg and a standard sg?
    I'm in a bit of a dilemma right now. I've currently got $540, and a birthday somewhat soon, which would put me at about $650, around the price of a Gibson faded sg special.
    Or I could keep saving my money and earn the rest of the money for a standard mowing grass in the summer, about $1100.
    Any suggestions on what I should do? Hows the faded special compare to the standard. will i be kicking myself for not saving up for standard?
    Obviously I need to try both of them for myself, but i havent had the time to get over to a music shop, so any advice would be great. Thanks.

2. CharlieB

CharlieB Active Member

Special Faded's are $575 at Elderly!! Also at World Music Supply!!

Ok, I'm biased here. I bought a brown faded because I always wanted an SG. I liked it so much I went and got a red one and converted it to P90 pickups!

The faded has a woody feel, a matte finish that rubs out to gloss wherever your body rubs it (neck, upper bouts, back, lower edge). The standard has a full gloss finish.

The faded comes with a 490R and 490T pickup. The standard has a 490R and a 498T, a slightly hotter crunchier bridge pickup (may or may not be your taste, just different).

The faded has dots. The standard has trapezoids.

The faded has unbound neck. The standard has bound neck.

The faded has a silkscreen headstock logo. The standard has an inlaid headstock logo with "holly" or "crown" inlay too.

The faded has plain knobs. The standard has reflector knobs.

Both have Nashville bridges. Both have mahogany bodies, although the faded may or may not have a multipiece body. My brown one has a 5 piece, the red one a one piece. I dont see any problem other than that which may exist between ones ears regarding the multipiece body.

The faded comes in a gig bag. The standard comes in a case.

That is about it. Fadeds are about $575 (shipped!), the standards about $1100ish depending on the color. I paid $700 for my fadeds cuz I got the hard case too, then sold the gig bags for $25 each.... so the net cost was only $675

Hope that helps.

3. alazary

alazary Member

i'd go for the special faded from elderly, you'll have a gibson sg way quicker, resale value is more with a standard.

4. hambucker

hambucker Member

I've always been one to wait until I can get just what I want. You know you are going to but A standard anyway. If it is a matter of a few months I say hold out a bit.

5. weezer_rock_sg

weezer_rock_sg Member

I was faced the same situation a year ago. I picked the faded and am quite satisfied. The finish has a very classy look to it. It's a 2002 so it still has the moon inlays. If I could do it all over again...i'd still pick the Faded!

6. Tony M

Tony M Well-Known Member

....and you can take the faded and give it a coat of wax. Charlie did this and the result was stunning. There are pix somewhere in here but I forget where.

7. particle

particle New Member

The standard is almost twice as expensive as the special faded, and you're definitely not gonna "hear" or "feel" the $600 difference in price when you play it. Some people don't like the faded because they think it's like holding on to a raw piece of wood in comparison to guitars that feel slick and shiny, but others (including myself) absolutely love the feel. The binding, inlays, and higher quality finish account for most of the extra cost of the standard. I've heard that the paint process is the most lengthy part of guitar production, and that's essentially why Gibson can sell the faded for so much less. The 498 bridge pickup in the standard is gonna make it sound a bit different, but that's hardly the reason why it's more expensive.

The standard is sweet and I wouldn't mind having one, but for the money, I love my faded.

8. CharlieB

CharlieB Active Member

What particle said.

9. RollnROCK89

RollnROCK89 New Member

Thanks alot guys, I think I'll probably end up getting a faded. I still need to try one out myself, but it definetly sounds to be a better bang for the buck than the standard.

10. CharlieB

CharlieB Active Member

Just remember - they ALL need setup from the store... Expect higher action than normal, but intonation ought to be right on.

11. cevtv

cevtv Member

What type of wax? Butchers wax? Any idea where the pics are? I searched, but came up with nothing...

Thanks!

12. CharlieB

CharlieB Active Member

Butchers Boston Polish (its amber, the white wax will leave streaks in the grain).

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

13. cevtv

cevtv Member

Very nice! Thank you.......I'm off to the hardware store....... :D

14. Hard2Hear

Hard2Hear Member

Hey charlieB-

Where'd you get that polish? I have a brand new faded coming my way now. I for sure want to give it the CharlieB treatment. Will I be able to find the stuff at Lowes? I have a limited choice of where I can shop here in nowheresville.

Thx,
    H2H

15. CharlieB

CharlieB Active Member

Just google Butchers Boston Polish

If you need to, get it online. I once remembered where I got this stuff. I can tell you it was either an ACE or TruValue hardware, not Western Auto.

16. CharlieB

CharlieB Active Member

Also, the key to using that stuff is many LIGHT coats.. repeat LIGHT coats. And letting it dry and harden fully after application, before buffing. Also a day or two between coats.

17. cevtv

cevtv Member

The only place I could find it was at ACE.

18. balboa

balboa Member

yea ide go with the faded myself i love them i like the whole raw piece of wood feel

19. Chris

Chris Member

Correction: No real difference, the Faded is just satin instead of gloss. Same parts, same pickups, same assembly line.

20. CharlieB

CharlieB Active Member

I disagree Chris - on the stained vs laquered. You work for Gib you might want to check that.

The brown faded was covered in a fairly rough pebbly feeling (and looking) finish which on the neck has burnished down to a smooth semi-gloss. I didn't have to wax the neck to get it to shine up!

On the red faded, when I removed the pickguard, some clear finish stuck to the pickguard at the screw hole locations, like the finish wasn't quite cured when the pickguard was put on.

After I routed out the red one, and finished the routes off with clear laquer, it was very aparant that the surrounding area was also covered in a rough textured laquer.

I've got here, a laquer called Deft, that comes in gloss, satin, and matte. The matte Deft is nearly as "textured" as the finish on the fadeds I've got.