Faulty Fender Squire Bass Jack Socket

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by Uncle Curse, May 14, 2019.

1. Uncle Curse

Uncle Curse New Member

Greeting my fellow Instrument tinkers!
    So, i'm fixing a friends Fender Squire Bass, most of it has gone smoothly, and then i found it, a problem! Dun dun duuun!

When the jack head from the cable goes into the socket, and is kept still, no noise, which is nice, BUT, when the jack head is inserted and moved, just a bit, like adjusting the cable or even just your shoulderstrap, it gets messy quick.
    It almost sound like a loose connection somewhere, with no actual sound coming trough, other than a classical distorted buzz.

I've checked every cable in the home, 3, they all work fine on other instruments, DAWs, soundcards and tuners i have lying around; i've had the bass in question open in the cable.. (hole, dungeon?), to see whats happening, and all i can see is that the jack head itself is inserted as it should be, into the socket and moving ever so slightly around.

All the solders around the socket are fine to, the problem really just is that infernal buzzing when the jacks input to the instrument is moved inside the socket.

Hope i defined the problem adequately and thanks for the help in advance!

- Uncle Curse

2. donepearce

donepearce Well-Known Member

London, helping a friend design a knitting machine
    Sounds like the ground is intermittent. The ground should be contacted two ways. One is the sleeve of the socket itself, but the important one is a sprung finger inside that pushes positively against the plug outer. It sounds like either this has lost its tension, or has got dirty.

3. Bad Penguin

Bad Penguin Active Member

OR there's a little crack that has developed on the ground pin. Simple fix is just to replace the jack. 2 wires, no fuss.

4. Uncle Curse

Uncle Curse New Member

So i could try to clean the socket itself, or just replace it?

@Bad Penguin Yeah, that sounds like a easy to overlook option, thanks! I'll test it all!

5. donepearce

donepearce Well-Known Member

London, helping a friend design a knitting machine
    You can waste an awful lot of time messing around. Just replace it.