Favorite English Words

Discussion in 'The Backstage' started by Biddlin, May 22, 2020 at 1:16 PM.

1. Biddlin

Biddlin Well-Known Member

I love my native tongue. I have been fascinated by its richness and flexibility since I began to read, watch plays and listen to poets. Two adjectives that seem to be particularly useful of late are "mendacious" and "craven."Insensate" has has also been seen in many of my posts lately.
    A noun I've used lately is "milquetoast." Another, "Blatherskite" is so perfectly descriptive and apt. It is always in my verbal armory.
    What are some of your favorite English words?

2. donepearce

donepearce Well-Known Member

Not sure I have any real favourites, but I have noticed something about my use of English. In speech I use adjectives and adverbs quite frequently, but in writing I will always go back and excise them from the text (almost - I just noticed "real", but that can stay).

Biddlin likes this.
  3. SG standard

SG standard Well-Known Member

Bollocks.

It has a wonderful, expressive sound, much like a good SG. It lends itself to a wide range of inflections and also can cover many different meanings, from the profound to the profane.

Apart from that, I generally like words other people readily understand. Isn't that the point?

IIRC, Dennis Potter's favourite English word was 'elbow'. I'm guessing he liked it because of the way it sounds, rather than because he though someone might be impressed that he knew it, let alone knew how to use it.

cerebral gasket likes this.
  4. donepearce

donepearce Well-Known Member

Bollocks - an English word with opposing meanings. On its own it can be an expression saying something is nonsense. Or you can say it when something has gone wrong. But put the word THE in front of it, and suddenly it means great. If something is the bollocks, it's going well.

Didds and Biddlin like this.
  5. Didds

Didds Well-Known Member

As a young Australian, unfortunately most of my favourite words aren't allowed on this forum. Expletives aside though, I'm pretty fond of "Numpty" which is a piece of Scottish slang that my Dad taught me. My understanding is that it's pretty much interchangeable with "Idiot"

SG John, Biddlin and Piper68Special like this.
  6. cerebral gasket

cerebral gasket Well-Known Member

Never mind THE bollocks.

SG standard likes this.
  7. Stark Naked

Stark Naked Member

i've been watching British television recently and noticed the use of the word "tosser". Now that I understand what it means, that may be my new favorite word.

donepearce and Biddlin like this.
  8. Corporal Scratchy

Corporal Scratchy Active Member

"Blatherskite" is a fine word, which I first came across reading one of your posts a couple of years ago. Good name for a band? Whatever.....

I was then prompted to do two things:

First, I did some research to find out exactly what it means. Ok fine..... My enquiries also informed me that it is an Olde English word, probably originating somewhere in the North of England and nowadays very rarely used in the UK. Maybe the word made it accross the pond in the "Mayflower", maybe later.... Who knows? Who cares?

Then the second thing I did was both to acknowledge, then come to terms with the fact that... I am one!

Biddlin likes this.