Favorite Guitar

Discussion in 'Other Guitars' started by NMA, May 16, 2019.

1. Gahr

Gahr Well-Known Member

Hahaha! I remember you called it a «gelding» at one time!:D

2. Lunacy the Faded

Lunacy the Faded Active Member

Really good thread love the posts here! I only keep favorites... I have been really digging my Epiphone Lucille lately as the other favorites rest

fos1 likes this.
  3. Col Mustard

Col Mustard Well-Known Member

I'm fickle... I'm a guitar slut.... love the one yer with, eh?...
    Do I hafta pick just one?
    3 Gibsons@100.jpg
    These are all contenders... At left: Luna, my first SG, the '07 SG special faded that I often boast about. She's still the Queen of my heart, but since I'm fickle, I don't mind a little hayloft time with her handmaids. She seems to look the other way, indulgently. '57 Classic and Classic plus pickups give this guitar a lovely
    clean tone, and an aggressive growl when called upon. Base line Gibson tone
    that gives up nothing IMHO.

Center, my 2018 J-45 AG... The only new acoustic guitar I have ever owned,
    and I've been fascinated listening to her tone mellow over the last year. I bought
    this one right before Gibson went bankrupt. Walnut back and sides, Maple neck, Walnut bridge, Walnut Fretboard, Tusq nut and Bridge Saddle, Spruce top...
    Made completely out of North American wood... She's a unique acoustic and has a totally unique tone that I love to play. I've named her Zelda.

Right: April, my 2012 Gibson SG special "70s Tribute." '70s style oversize headstock with tone Pros tuners, Corian nut, Maple neck with volute and "70s thin to thick neck carve" (whatever that is) ...baked maple fretboard with small block inlays...
    Mini hum buckers with blade sensors, Silverburst finish... Every time I play this
    guitar I love her just a little bit more. All these features give this guitar a completely
    unique electric tone, she sounds like nothing else. I like that a lot. Mini Hums rock!

So my 'favorite" guitar changes not every day, but maybe a couple of
    times a month. Depends on how I'm feeling. Each of these great instruments
    has helped me develop my style and play parts that I never knew I could
    until now. At my age, I'm still improving and developing... This crucially important feature of my life comes from an interplay between my firm desire
    to do this and the great instruments that help to make it possible.

There it is... oh but there's one more I can't omit. My Warmoth fretless
    J-Bass that I built myself out of parts I selected and screwed together. *grins
    But as a bassist, this instrument is the culmination of all my career and
    experience. The dream bass of a guy with forty years on the road to fuel
    his dreams.
    Luretta 6 Lansing 2010.jpg
    After playing a fretted Fender Jazz Bass for all those years, I knew I had it all...
    but one. There was a certain tone I could not achieve. The singing and melodic
    m-whaah sound of the fretless bass. The first time I listened to Weather Report, I heard that and wondered how the hell Jaco Pastorius was getting that sound.

I kept trying to do it, and not getting it. *shrugs... I didn't realize for a long time that he had yanked the frets out of his Fender Bass and filled everything in with epoxy. Or so he claimed.

But we don't have to do that now. Fender and Squier and other fine makers
    now offer the Fretless Bass. But I wanted to build my own. So I did.
    Luretta@100 2018.jpg
    This is Luretta... when I need that sound, she lets me do it on her. She can also sound like a regular bass, if I lay my finger tip precisely on the 'sissy lines."
    I ordered a Maple neck, with Rosewood fingerboard, with maple inlays instead of
    frets. I need the lines because we don't always get good sound, and I have to be
    able to see it as well as hear it. The M-whaahh sound comes when you bring the
    note in, from slightly flat to right on. It's the absence of frets that enables this
    technique. I can't do it if I can't hear it, unless I can see it... hence the inlays.

So when I need that sound, this instrument is the only one that will do.
    Maple neck, Rosewood fretboard, maple inlays, Ash body, Fender Vintage Jazz Bass pickups, Gotoh "high mass" bridge, walnut P/G and control covers, hand carved by me. I'll sell other instruments... I sold my 1966 Jazz Bass, but I'm
    not selling this one. So this one must be included.

Last edited: May 19, 2019
  4. fos1

fos1 Member

My favorite is my noname SG. The other is an Ibanez RG. The RG is almost as good as the SG but it has an edge tremolo which has now been blocked by my local luthier.

Attached Files:

SG standard and Lunacy the Faded like this.
  5. Bad Penguin

Bad Penguin Active Member

This was a lot harder then I thought it was going to be!

My immediate thought was, "Oh, my 72'73 SG, easily." Then I thought about it, and while it's damn near perfect, it isn't that subtle of a guitar. That was followed by my 07 Gary Kramer. And yeah, it's nice, but it does sound a bit more modern then some of the music I play demands. Then of course, my Manoman. Sounds great, plays like Teflon coated butter, but damn, it's near 11 pounds! 2 hours on stage, I need traction.
    GEDC0696.JPG

So some more thinking, and how could I go wrong with my 84 Roland G707? Sounds like nothing else, can sound like ANYTHING, but the last gig I did with it, I couldn't sit down with it. So my 84 Ibanez Artist looked at me, and again, while playing and sound great, the weight is an issue. Again I looked around, and saw the answer, my 87 Ibanez RSRG 440. There we go! Lightish weight, great sounds, a trem, and great action.... but where's that neck hum.... damn.

GEDC0697.JPG

Meanwhile, I look at the wall, and what I truly consider my number 1 was staring at me, hurt in her eyes. A 1978 Gibson L6S. Everything the others had, minus the trem, and looks so unassuming, that the tone will surprise you. Finally, choice made, so here she is for you!

GEDC0698.JPG

6. Crazy_8

Crazy_8 Well-Known Member

Col Mustard likes this.
  7. iblive

iblive Well-Known Member

Favorite would still have to be my Ovation I've had since 1974.
    [​IMG]

Col Mustard likes this.
  8. NMA

NMA Well-Known Member

I've wanted a Silver Jet for a few years now, but always pull back. Thin sound. Your Duo doesn't have the thin Dynasonics. Filtertrons? I didn't know they came that way.

9. NMA

NMA Well-Known Member

I'm an Ovation guy, too. I think the thing I like most about them is they really are built like tanks. Your Ovation from '74 looks brand new. Mine? Well, the one on the left below is from 1990. Nearly thirty years old and stays looking brand new. Ovations really are something out of a Twilight Zone episode.

[​IMG]

iblive likes this.
  10. koaguilds

koaguilds Well-Known Member

They happen to be SG's...
    Slim taper with rosewood in honeyburst (left) 2012
    Rounded with baked maple in naturalburst (right) 2011

[​IMG]

11. Crazy_8

Crazy_8 Well-Known Member

Yes, those are factory installed TV Jones Powertrons, wound a bit hotter than normal Filtertrons. I have a G5125 with Dynasonics (in my Media folder on Everythin SG) but as it's a hollow body it's not as compact and can be a bit more prone to feedback when at loud stage volume.

12. John Vasco

John Vasco Active Member

I am rather fond of my 2009 '08 Standard...
    [​IMG]

and also my 1991 Custom...
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

:dude:

HackeIommi and papagayo like this.
  13. NMA

NMA Well-Known Member

Who cares what that guitar sounds like, I'd play it just because of the outstanding finish.
    Post another pic if you have one.

14. papagayo

papagayo Well-Known Member

My other non-SG guitar,

[​IMG]

Rain likes this.
  15. John Vasco

John Vasco Active Member

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I also gig with this little beauty, a 2009 Custom Shop '57 VOS Junior
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Rain, Gahr and HackeIommi like this.
  16. Rain

Rain Well-Known Member

My 2018 SG, of course.
    [​IMG]
    My white Les Paul Studio - that neck is to die for. Arguably, the guitar I'm most comfortable playing - hopefully the SG will get there in a couple of months.
    [​IMG]

My 1996 American Fender strat, the first quality instrument I ever owned and my oldest possession. That guitar is like the Millenium Falcon of guitars... Although I've not been playing it as much since I switched to Gibson-type guitars in 2011.

[​IMG]

Then and now.
    [​IMG]

Although I've been in a strat mood recently - and I can't wait to try the new one tomorrow. All white. Gorgeous. I've always loved white guitars. In the meantime, I'm having a Hendrix moment.

[​IMG]

cerebral gasket and arcticsg like this.