Fender '68 Custom Deluxe Reverb 2-Channel 22-Watt 1x12" Guitar Combo

Discussion in 'Amps & Cabs' started by Ray, Jan 31, 2019.

1. Ray

Ray Well-Known Member

I been thinking of buying a not-too-expensive tube-amp for homeuse and rehearsals. The amp I'm looking for has gotta differ pretty much soundwise from my modded Marshall 1987X ... I would like to have a different amp, wanting to expoit more new territory, and another amp can also come handy combined with my Marshall for live use.

I've been wanting a good Fender amp for a while, and I consider hunting down and checking oput this Fender '68 Custom Deluxe Reverb 2-Channel, 22 Watts:
    fender amp.jpg
    According to the hype this baby has: "the classic look and sound of its predecessor with some modern updates, like both channels containing both reverb and tremolo. The custom channel even has a modified Bassman tone stack for the ultimate in versatility."
    Interesting ... Bassman-ish-action goin' on there, too ..?

But I cant seem to find a store in Oslo that has one of these. My experience with Fender amps are pretty limited, but I like the Deluxe Reverbs, that the ones I have played most, love old Bassmans of course ... Cant afford a real Blackface now, though.

What I wonder most about, though, is how this amp would sound cranked up, with tube-torturing distortion, how it breaks up ... 22 watts are perfect for blasting at rehearsal, so this could easily be used for both live and rehearsals too.

So I wonder, does anyone here have this amp and recommend it, for LOUD use?

Last edited: Jan 31, 2019
  2. Gahr

Gahr Well-Known Member

4 Sound at Schous Plass is supposed to have it in their store:
    https://www.4sound.no/gitar/forsterkere/comboer/fender-68-custom-deluxe-reverb

Ray likes this.
  3. Gahr

Gahr Well-Known Member

4. Ray

Ray Well-Known Member

Huh..? I checked just the other day.. but hey, thats real cool! Will try it out at Schous ASAP.

The plan was to get a used one,yeah. The one on Finn isnt such a bad deal ... Just wanted to try the amp out real loud first, in a shop. But hey, if this guy with the ad is selling me an amp he should maybe warn his neighbors first, he he.

DrBGood and Gahr like this.
  5. gball

gball Well-Known Member

My buddy has one. It's a killer amp and definitely punches above its weight. Tone-wise its more British than 'murican at high volume, and breaks up a lot quicker than one would normally associate with a Fender. But, roll back the guitar volume and it's all about the Silverface tone. Great reverb, really touch-sensitive and takes pedals like a beast. The speaker is not going to be everyone's favorite, it's a little dark sounding, but that's a relatively inexpensive upgrade.

Ray likes this.
  6. Ray

Ray Well-Known Member

Cool, I like what I'm hearing. That the amp breaks up fast and has a more British-ish tone sounds real promising. Just what I was hoping for. Great info, this. And thanks, man, for sharing your views on this amp. Cant wait to crank this baby up!

7. Ray

Ray Well-Known Member

Soo... I tried the Fender '68 Custom Deluxe Reverb, and it did sound really good. The used one mentioned here got sold pretty quick, so I didnt get it. Hmm... I havent settled 100% for the '68 Custom Deluxe Reverb this yet, but its most def a very good candidate. It's pretty expensive so I will wait and see if another second hand appear.

But, jeez ... armed with a 2019 SG Standard '61 it sure was fun cranking that baby up in that shop! Mooouhahahaaaah!

8. chicagoslim

chicagoslim Active Member

I was saving up for a 68 CDR when I tried a Boss Katana. The Katana was so much cheaper, that I decided to give it a try. Not only could I get similar clean sounds, but I could get good Marshall overdrive, at reasonable volumes. The Katana's power scaling is really nice for home use. Here is a comparison of clean sounds.

9. Ray

Ray Well-Known Member

10. Ray

Ray Well-Known Member

Similar sounds"? Thats pretty relative I guess...Anyways, when it comes to good, warm tube overdrive and killer bluesy rocktones my new, second hand 5 watt JetCity 333 eats Katanas for breakfast! Haha! I paid approx 100 Euro for it.:D
    009_1126271215.jpg