Fender Blues Jr. Vs. Ibanez TSA15 Vs. Boss Katana

Discussion in 'Amps & Cabs' started by OldManJenkins, Jun 15, 2017.

1. Raiyn

Raiyn Well-Known Member

I suspect my attempts to steer it helped. As did the willingness of others to be put back on track. :cheers:

I am happy to say it fuzzed out peacefully.

Chris hd and Scootermuppet like this.
  2. OldManJenkins

OldManJenkins Member

Thanks everybody

I picked my guitar today and it looks really cool. I tried the Katana 50 and after doing the ridicule in the store I most admit the sound for the price makes for a good deal. The sales man played it for me and made me look bad. Rainy I think you are correct it is a great amp with good inboard effect. The kid in the store recommended a Marshall Code 25 and showed me the app and how he use it. He claims more options and I believe it but the sound was not as good at the Katana. Also the Katana felt easier to use. I remember reading DFLCC's post and steered back to the Katana. I asked about the TSA15 and they had none but were willing to order one for me. Also tested the Blues Jr III but is expensive compare to the Katana. DFLCC's words made sense and I asked to play again, soon other people came by to check the amp and asked about my guitar, looks awesome, I got intimidated and stopped playing, store shy I guess. So I bought the amp and left in a hurry.

Check my NAD Post here
    http://www.everythingsg.com/threads/nad-boss-katana-50.32852/

Picture available there.

Last edited: Jun 19, 2017
    83 Blazer, Raiyn and Dave Johnson like this.
  3. DFLCC

DFLCC Well-Known Member

Nice grats, I really want one.

4. Scootermuppet

Scootermuppet Well-Known Member

Excellent choice of amp OMJ, if I may make so bold!

I was lucky enough to get a Katana 50 pretty soon after they arrived here in the UK, and have found it to be a fantastic practice amp.

Been away from the scene for too long, so was overwhelmed by the pedal choices there are nowadays :shock:

A modeler seemed the perfect solution - try all the tones (read pedals) out and see what you need for the tones you like, makes sense to me...

After a few months with it, it's been great - but for my particular situation (lack of space) I've come to the conclusion that the 100w head version may well be my ideal amp right now.

Hold on - did I just justify a bigger amp? - well, yes and no...

Wattage wise, obviously, but physical size? It would take up less space than a combo, and seeing as it has a 5" speaker in the head itself, it would make it an ideal small space practice amp.

The head also has more physical controls, more on board storage patches, Midi control of amp functions (footswitch a-go-go) and an external effects loop for pedals further down the line.

And when I get round to taking it to a practice room with some buddies for some High Volume jinks, I can plug in to a 4x12 and pretend I'm a real guitarist :D

5. DrBGood

DrBGood Well-Known Member

Let me see if I understand you well here. You say you buy a Katana 50W in part to find what you like for pedals/effects. Then four months later, you sell it and get one with more pedal/effects ?

6. Raiyn

Raiyn Well-Known Member

Not really. It's got the exact same effects package, just more user preset channels and a better switching situation.
    He's dealing with a small flat so the flexibility afforded by the small head (basically two amps in one). That means he can have the "lunchbox" practice amp like one of those little Yamaha's due to the 5" onboard speaker, then take it and plug it into a big cab for band practice / gigging. Makes total sense.

Chris hd and Scootermuppet like this.
  7. DrBGood

Yeah ... I'm just pulling his leg here.

Raiyn and Scootermuppet like this.
  8. OldManJenkins

OldManJenkins Member

can't beat that the .5W option is available on all Katanas. Plus, it is a head with a 5" speaker. So super apartment friendly. Plus add all the other extras, hey! If you ask me it is well justified.

Raiyn, Scootermuppet and syscokid like this.
  9. Scootermuppet

Thanks for the sense check folks :D

Was thinking 'am I just viewing the head through rose tinted specs?' - always good to get confirmation from you guys that something makes sense :thumb:

10. Raiyn

Raiyn Well-Known Member

One can never be too sure.

Yup. The power level switch was a key peacekeeping option.

No worries.:cheers:

Scootermuppet likes this.
  11. Scootermuppet

Right decision made, the Katana 50 is going, so I can upgrade to the 100w head :dude:... And use the 5" speaker :rofl:

Ad will be posted soon & also on Epiphonetalk. UK only though I'm afraid, shipping elsewhere would make it more than a new one I'd guess, sorry folks...

12. Raiyn

Raiyn Well-Known Member

Selling the 50 before you get the head?

13. DrBGood

How do you know he didn't get a head ?

14. Scootermuppet

No Raiyn's right - car aircon had to be done, so will have to sell 50 first :(

Hoping it will inspire me to get my finger out and make a few quid flipping some stuff and having a clear out, shouldn't have to make much more if I go used on the head....

15. Raiyn

Raiyn Well-Known Member

Ouch. Do you have an interim amp, or are you just going to exercise the 50 until it sells?

Those little Vox Amplug2 headphone amps are rather nice to noodle with. I purchased the AC30 model for late night practice. I'd suggest a 90° adapter for an SG or it'll feel like it's in the way.

Scootermuppet likes this.
  16. Scootermuppet

I had looked at those Raiyn, but I do have an alternative - bought an Irig nano amp a while back, acts as an interface for my iPad and can be used on its own - will even run up to a 4x12 cab! :shock:

IMG_0475.JPG

Using Positive Grids Jam Up app for tones - and it's pretty good with headphones - so will still be able to make some noise until I get the head.

Might go try one out at the local guitar shop... but I'm pretty certain it'll do the job for me :thumb:

Raiyn likes this.
  17. Raiyn

Raiyn Well-Known Member

Looks like you're about sorted then!

The Amplug2 is a nice simple package, battery powered and fills a need. It's quicker than dragging out the 50 when I want some quick practice.

18. jtees4

jtees4 Active Member

My personal opinion is, all the amps mentioned are good. I have/had many tube, ss, and modelling amps. If you ever plan on playing with a band, I'd suggest that you can barely be loud enough with a Blues Jr., and you definitely can't play completely clean with a band and drummer....if that's what you want to do. As far as SS and Modelling amps....I would recommend a minimum of 100 watts for the same reasons stated above. The true number may be 80 or so, but I can tell you 60 watts ss amp is not enough (I have one). Just one persons opinion. I currently have a Mustang III v1. If used super clean, meaning Fender Twin with gain low....you easily need the 100 watts to be loud enough. Sure, if you are playing dirty, then wattage can be a lot less....no matter what type of amp you are using.

syscokid likes this.
  19. syscokid

syscokid Well-Known Member

I probably should have saved this long-winded question at the Katana thread but, I am wondering about this feature on a solid state type of amp. On a tube amp, certain volume reducing circuits actually change the tone and response of the amp besides lowering the maximum amount of volume. Usually these reducing circuits are labeled as Half Power, Pentode/Triode, Vintage/Modern, etc. Other type of reducing circuits are more complicated by reducing voltages at key points of the tube amps circuit with the goal of operating the tube amp at its "sweet spot" with less volume.

But on a solid state amp there is no sweet spot. The tone and response should be identical no matter where the Master Volume is set at. The only difference is volume. So why a 3 way power switch in the Katanas?

Normal conversation levels at a few feet away, are about 60 dBs. I bet the Katanas sound exactly the same at 60 dBs regardless whether the power switch is at 0.5 watt, 25 watt, 50 watt, or 100 watt just by using the master volume alone.

Can the Katanas power switch be locked, like a parental control feature, through its software?

20. Raiyn

Raiyn Well-Known Member

I'm no expert, but ill try to take a whack at this.
    As you're aware, this is a modelling amp. The sound does change as you raise the volume approximating what you might expect out of a tube amp.
    The power levels exist so you can maintain that tone at lower volumes. The software sees the same knob settings, but the actual output is limited.

I'd disagree with you, based on my experience, but I'd invite you to try one with a dB meter. They DO sound the same, in terms of tone, at the same knob settings at the different power levels but obviously louder.
    That's not something I've come across.

If you're truly interested, there's an enormous thread over at The Gear Page where they cover the intricacies and minutiae of the Katana series.
    https://www.thegearpage.net/board/index.php?threads/boss-katana-amplifiers.1744135/

syscokid likes this.