Fender Blues Jr. Vs. Ibanez TSA15 Vs. Boss Katana

Discussion in 'Amps & Cabs' started by OldManJenkins, Jun 15, 2017.

1. syscokid

syscokid Well-Known Member

Yup... and it's up to 477 pages! That thread is starting to slow down. Only 7 posts yesterday after 9 months of life. I'll stick to the Katana info here. Or go read Lord Of The Rings again... :hmm:

2. Raiyn

Raiyn Well-Known Member

syscokid likes this.
  3. syscokid

syscokid Well-Known Member

That one right off the bat, has a lot of detailed info on the Katanas. And lo and behold, I found a very relevant answer:

Hi, I'm Jeff the product manager for BOSS Guitar product in the United States. I hope you don't mind me joining in to answer your question.

The 1x12 and 2x12 Katana's use exactly the same electronics with the only difference being the cab size and the use of two speakers. The 1x12 uses an 8ohm speaker and the 2x12 uses two 16ohm speakers. But they are the same design and voicing.

As far as sound, yes the 2x12 has a bigger bolder push and the comes off as having more bass. Also speaker combination comb filtering things that happen in the air that make some players prefer a 2x12 or 4x12 over a 1x12 experience. If you traditionally like speaker configuration over the other you might want to consider that with your buy decision.

Both the 1x12 and the 2x12 have a bit more bass response than the 50 watt. If you get the Kantana my suggestion for you is to start with the Channel Volume and Master Volume at max and use the Power Control feature to lower it down to digest-able home volume. This way the virtual vintage transformer, power tubes, phase inverter and such all gets pushed like typically happens in all those classic non-master volume amps we love. Always remember in non-master volume tube amps, or even virtual ones, the last tubes in the chain clips first. So my suggestion is start of running it like a non-master volume amp to get that Tele of yours pushing power amp character. Get all that transformer tone and feel and use the Power Control Knob to turn it down to fun level. I'm sure you'll find your own settings this just sounds like a fun place to start for you and your Tele.

I hope that helps.

Jeff Slingluff
    BOSS and Roland Guitar Products Manager

Scootermuppet and Raiyn like this.
  4. Raiyn

Raiyn Well-Known Member

The way I read that, it basically confirms what I said earlier.

Scootermuppet likes this.
  5. OldManJenkins

OldManJenkins Member

I am loving my Katana 50. I have been using the factory setup for Channel 1 minus a little delay. It is a very nice clean that feels full. I have tweaked Channel 2 to be Bluessy like Channel 1 but more over drive. I know I am not a very good player but this amp has made me play more so slowly getting better. I am taking classes again so that has helps a lot. Having a guitar you love and an amp that makes it sound good without breaking the bank has to be good a thing. Did I mention is lightweight and easy to use that even an Old Man can do it.

Scootermuppet and gball like this.
  6. michaelinokc

michaelinokc Well-Known Member

I really like the Blues Jr. It takes pedals well and can be bluesy all by itself.