Fender Cyber Twin?? (and some PUP help)

Discussion in 'Amps & Cabs' started by joe419, Aug 26, 2019.

1. joe419

joe419 New Member

So i am wondering what the opinions are on a fender cyber twin... I have one. (not the SE version)

I have been reading about pickups and a common theme is make sure you have a good amp first. Well, i dont know if this amp is considered "good" enough. Actually i think most serious guys would say that it is not.

The other amp i have is the Stageright (monoprice) 15w 12" tube amplifier (copy of the Laney Cub 12..?)

I just play for fun in the garage with some guys, so nothing serious... but wondering if i need to liquidate what i have and get 1 good tube amp before i start messing with pups.

probably a waste of money since i just play for fun... but i like to tinker with the guitars a little and get some enjoyment out of that, so..

my guitars:
    stock 1996 epi g400
    Epi LP Standard with 50's wiring and SD pearly gates set of pups
    squire affinity strat - have upgraded the wiring/pots/switch(it needed replacing) and someday the pups will get replaced

Also, as a 2nd question...
    I had the pearly gates in my LP before i bought my g400.. now i have a g400 and it sounds VERY similar to my LP. i would like to have guitars with different sounds. Would I be better served putting the pearly gates in my G400 and going back to the stock LP pups for awhile until i want to get something different for it?
    Or stay as i have it and down the road upgrade the pups in the G400?

2. joe419

joe419 New Member

..or maybe 1 pearly gate in each guitar?? which one would be better in which guitar?

3. Clifdawg

Clifdawg Well-Known Member

Pickups won't make a rig you don't like suddenly come alive (unless your pup's were *really* bad, which based on what you have, they're not). If you have a rig you love, then changing pickups can be the final x-factor that really turns it into a dream rig.

If you want to fix up an Epi on a budget, I always recommend Guitarfetish (GFS) pickups. They're cheap, and they sound great. When I was in your position, I swapped the humbuckers out of my G400 for Mean 90s (humbucker-sized P90s). That gave me two very different sounds for different styles. Pickups plus a new wiring harness was about 100 US dollars total.

But if you don't like the sound of your amps... I'd off-load them and get something you like. If your budget is less than about 800 bucks, I suggest staying away from tube amps. Not because cheap ones aren't great (the Fender Pro JR. and Vox AC10 come to mind), but because they're kind of one-trick ponies.

It's gonna sound like those of us who have had one are broken records at this point, but... Boss Katana 100. 350 US dollars, a hundred more for the multi-function footswitch. Light, compact, cheap, versatile, incredibly loud, and sounds as good as any tube amp within a few hundred of its price range. Sold mine only because I like my Marshall DSL40C better. That's a 750 dollar amp (I got mine at a significant discount) and it still needed a 90 dollar speaker swap to get it sounding how I wanted. By the way... I still use a Boss GT-1 in front of my Marshall, which is an MFX module that is basically using the same digital tech as the Katana, so I'm still *kinda* using one. :thumb:

arcticsg and joe419 like this.
  4. Chuteboxehero

Chuteboxehero Active Member

Amp on a budget I highly recommend the Blackstar HT5R. Gets plenty loud for solo jamming and sounds incredible for the price. Used they usually run around 200-250. I swapped a Vintage 30 into mine and it sounds even better but the stock Blackstar speaker did just fine. Has a decent overdrive channel and the on board reverb is nice as well. I would definitely play through a good sounding amp before you start swapping pickups. As mentioned above the Katana is a good choice of you want variety. Plenty of options out there.
    If you want to get crazy, track down a used Mooer GE200 and pick up a cheap FRFR monitor like the Headrush 1x8 or 1x12 and you'll have more options than you know what to do with.

joe419 likes this.
  5. joe419

joe419 New Member

Thanks for the info, it is appreciated and i will look into these suggestions. I dont mind the amps i have, and the LP with the pearly gates sounds really nice, its just now that i got the SG it sounds pretty similar to the LP set up i have. That is what got me thinking about getting different pups(as i would like to have 2 distinct sounds between the guitars), which in turn got me questioning my amps...

The presets on the cyber twin arent that great, but with a little time and messing around with them you can get them dialed in to sound pretty good.

For now i will just keep my eyes open for some of the stuff suggested, and if something good pops up for a fair price i can jump on it at that time.. until then the cyber twin should be fine for me, i personally think its a good enough amp to be able to tell the difference in sounds from different pups.

6. arcticsg

arcticsg Well-Known Member

+1 to the Marshall DSL40C with speaker swap. Went with a 65w Celestion Creamback. Made a big difference. And it just keeps getting better as it breaks in.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Also wouldn't mind playing with the Vox 30w 2x12. Maybe next time ;)

Clifdawg and joe419 like this.
  7. plankton

plankton Well-Known Member

No one but you can decide if your amp is good. If it allows you play the way you like and produces the sounds you want then it's good. If it doesn't do those things then find one that does.

You don't need a tube amp before you swap pickups around.

An LP and SG are going to sound somewhat similar as they're both two humbucker guitars of similar construction. Personally I'd keep the Pearly Gates in the LP and try to find some different pickups for the SG, the advice above about HB size P90 pickups isn't a bad place to start.

joe419 likes this.
  8. joe419

joe419 New Member

Thanks!

arcticsg likes this.
  9. joe419

joe419 New Member

Just wanted to update - i think a lot of people short change the cyber twin.. If you take a little time to learn about how to use it, you can get some real nice tones out of it. It is not something you can just plug into and use the presets that come with it, they arent very good. I think this is what turns most people off from it.

I also changed the pre amp tubes to 12au7's and that also made for a nice improvement, it sounds really nice.