Fender Princeton Reverb or Deluxe Reverb

Discussion in 'Amps & Cabs' started by DFLCC, Sep 13, 2019.

?

If you only could have one, which one you prefer?

Poll closed Sep 27, 2019.
  1. Fender Princeton Reverb

4 vote(s)
    36.4%
  2. Fender Deluxe Reverb

7 vote(s)
    63.6%
  1. DFLCC

DFLCC Well-Known Member

Not much here just want to know which one you prefer and if you would like to share why, feel free to post your thoughts.

Thanks

ventura likes this.
  2. Tony M

Tony M Well-Known Member

3. koaguilds

koaguilds Well-Known Member

4. living room rocker

living room rocker Member

Based solely on the voicings of my Fender Champion modeling amp, the Deluxe Reverb hands down. I believe my aging hearing is drawn more to the cleaner note definition present in amps with higher headroom. I do enjoy grittier overdriven tones when soloing but for me personally, clean is king.

Last edited: Sep 14, 2019
  5. Col Mustard

Col Mustard Well-Known Member

Right-ee-oh! To my ear, the Fender Deluxe Reverb is the one.
    I like the models I have on me modeling amp... I doin't actually
    own one.

But you know... they are both great and classic amps. You could
    practically close your eyes and pick one. You couldn't go wrong, really. If you ever needed more power, just mike it and play it through the P.A. and it sounds HUGE.

so it's better to tie a bandana around your head, over your eyes so you can't see, and then play both using your own signal chain and your own guitar with the strings you prefer and the pick you
    normally use, (or no pick, like normal). Have a friend change them back and forth for you, or use an A-B pedal.

Played like that, you just use your ears to listen and decide, and
    ignore comments from guys like me who know nothing about your music or your style.

If you cain't do that, and you MUST order an expensive amp from yer easy chair without ever playing it, solely on the basis of advice from strangers, get the Deluxe. *grins

syscokid likes this.
  6. Clifdawg

Clifdawg Well-Known Member

The way I see it, there are a hundred big 1x12 combos you can get with a great, sparkly clean - including my Marshall. For that reason, I would never have any reason to get a Fender Deluxe Reverb. But there's something special about Fender's small amps that other makers just can't seem to replicate - other small amps tend to sound boxy and raspy, but the Princeton makes a really cool warm, smooth sound.

That said, I'd rather have the Pro Junior. That's a killer little combo.

7. Crazy_8

Crazy_8 Well-Known Member

I have an old silver face PR that is my Number two amp, my first is a 5e3 Tweed Deluxe RI. I prefer the Tweed because it is lighter for me to carry around, both circuits work great for my needs.

8. Satellitedog

Satellitedog Active Member

I have limited experience with these, but I've had a handwired Princeton Reverb clone built by a local amp designer, simply because I fell in love with the contemporary '68 Custom RI-s warmth and punchy cleans... I somehow found the '65 Deluxe Reverb RI harsh sounding. I've heard samples of vintage DR-s that were equally great as PR-s, and if the template for the reissues matches, the '68 DR RI would appeal to me, minus the loudness I can't exploit.

9. ungarn

ungarn Member

Princeton.
    Takes pedals better imho.
    A good, broken in 10" can be just as good as a 12" speaker.

ventura likes this.
  10. Utrecht74

Utrecht74 Member

I love my 65prri.Sounds great at home volume levels (2-5 ish)and cranked too.You may encounter cabinet/baffle rattle or buzz at high volume so try it out thoroughly if you can.There are fixes for this otherwise which you`ll find by googling it.I never played through a Drri

11. bluesfordan

bluesfordan Member

Princeton Reverb RI FSR 15 watt with 12" speaker. Just got one today, in tweed with Eminence Cannabis Rex 50 watt speaker (sweetwater exclusive I believe). I played my SG through it and thought "wow, it sounds this good now, just wait until the speaker is broken in."

12. ventura

ventura New Member

1964. With a real JBL.
    Put far more miles on this amp than any other.
    And I've owned a few. Including a Deluxe Reverb
    for a short time.
    IMG_1919.jpg

Clifdawg and bluesfordan like this.
  13. bluesfordan

bluesfordan Member

nice. put a Weber California (JBL clone) in my '73/'74 Princeton Reverb, that speaker was awesome (and heavy but you know that). The original speaker was long gone, I bought the amp new, who knew it would be vintage someday? Sold it a dozen something years ago and miss it still, hence my NAD

ventura likes this.
  14. ventura

ventura New Member

JBL in a PR is a cool sound. Cranked up a bit, and hit with a tubescreamer… It's hard to describe, but it's a tone that's served me well.