Fender's new Tonemaster amps

Discussion in 'Amps & Cabs' started by living room rocker, Jul 23, 2019.

1. living room rocker

living room rocker Member

Fender has announced the soon to be released Tonemaster solid state amps, cloned tonally and cosmetically after their revered Twin Reverb and Deluxe Reverb models. They're each built to singly replicate the voicing of their famous stablemate and not multi-voiced modelling amps. Apparently half the weight and offer back panel power attenuation settings down to a single watt. Each one is within $300 +/- of the real McCoy. I'll suspect the tonal quality will be pretty close, but do you think it'll fly at that price point?

2. plankton

plankton Well-Known Member

I guess if they sound like the real deal but the weight of the real deal is a deal breaker then some people might go for it.

I don't think I ever would. :io:

living room rocker likes this.
  3. Worblehat

Worblehat Well-Known Member

I think this is a pretty good idea by Fender. Usually digital modeling technology is used to cram a whole lot of different amps and effects into one unit. And there are a lot of tube-amp fanatics who would not touch a digital amp. Using digital technology, but concentrating all resources on cloning a single tube amp as good as possible might actually help to bring both worlds together. If the tones are as close as they claim some people might realize that modeling amps don't need to hide behind tube amps these days.
    And these Tonemaster amps are great for everyone who craves that Twin Reverb sound (and looks) but needs a more affordable or handy alternative.

Not for me though...I have my Katana 100 with a whole lot more tones and effects for about the same price. I like the flexibility I get with it.

4. Worblehat

I misread the price and just realized by watching the video that these amps cost about 1000€. I didn't expect that...that is a lot of money :wow:

5. Tony M

Tony M Well-Known Member

I like the 23 pound thing.
    I will give the Deluxe a try.
    If it measures up I'll buy one.
    23 pounds is tough to argue with.

6. living room rocker

I agree, quite expensive......not a lot of $'s separating the solid state from the tube types. Fender must be confident they've got the nuances of their tube type amps nailed down in solid state form.

7. Worblehat

Indeed...they must be very confident regarding the tone. If they really nailed it and created a almost exact copy they would kinda undermine their own business if they sell those amps for just a few bugs.

8. Clifdawg

Clifdawg Well-Known Member

My main problem with this series is simply that they're too expensive. Regardless of how well they're aping the tones from the real tube amps, the fact remains that solid state and digital technology is cheap. And that means profit margins on these suckers are probably massive; maybe even more so than they're real tube counterparts.

As far as the amps themselves, I would probably take one of those digital Twins over the real deal any day. More reliable and lighter - although we have to take into account that much of the lightness comes down to cab build and the use of small-magnet neodymium speakers. I would guess that swapping out neodymium Eminence speakers in a tube Twin would certainly lighten the load significantly.

And yet... While I see the appeal of having a digital amp act just like a traditional analog amp, there's a lot of wasted potential here. If I knew the first thing about software development or amp manufacturing, I would totally make a small 1x12 digital amp with a massive (100-150w) class-D power section, but with features like gain stage structuring (Tube vs. FET), semi-parametric EQ, and sag and bias controls, all housed with a quality hi-fi preamp that takes pedals well and with a solid pine cab and high-quality speaker. There's definitely room for to take the concept and run with it in a way that does something new and exciting, rather than just use technology to create a modeling amp that models a single amp.

Chuteboxehero and plankton like this.
  9. living room rocker

Very valid points Cliffdawg. Even a $99 Fender Champion 20 does a decent job of replicating the Twin and Deluxe Reverb models in appearance and tone, albeit in a much smaller package. I love blackface tones, but very hard to justify the cost of these new offerings.

10. Tony M

Tony M Well-Known Member