Finally got it right this time.

Discussion in 'Recording Studio' started by Tobacco Worm, Apr 2, 2013.

1. Tobacco Worm

Tobacco Worm Well-Known Member

We all know I'm a crusty old coot from a different era for the most part when it comes to recording. Digital was like some super demon that gave me grief, however..... I took that demon head on and whipped it to a frazzel!!

Studying my hindquarters off, I got it going right this time. The method of choosing the input to the program had me so messed up. Using the Zoom G7.1ut effects unit as my interface, I'd think all was well and then could only get a single track or sometimes none at all to record. Working with Aucacity finally started to click as I learned more about how the interface gets the signals to the program and then the rest was more downhill after that. Now I got it...

So it took me almost four months to learn how to record with a computer. OK, I never said I was smart with these things. :naughty: And I have a new dedicated interface due here on Wednesday that will allow easier use of a mike and playback through something other than my amp. I'll let ya'll know how well that battle goes...

David, that new interface thingie has virtual instruments in software so I'll be giving that a go later as I get it figured out!

Well, gotta sign off as my eyes are giving me fits again. Can't focus on words on the screen as they go blank on me. Gotta look off to the side to read.... But I'll whip that too....

Wade

2. dbb

dbb Well-Known Member

Wade, you'll have fun now that the worst part is over....I'm pleased you got it to work.

Tobacco Worm likes this.
  3. Tony M

Tony M Well-Known Member

I never doubted for a minute.

NEVER give up!

Tobacco Worm likes this.
  4. shreddy bender

shreddy bender Well-Known Member

i'm no pro on recording of any kind but have found digital recording fairly simple once you figure out how to get started.
    it's nice to have those "eureka!" moments. i have a zoom h4 that is kind of a pain in the butt to use as all the buttuns are soooo tiny (like one of those new fangled cell phone thingys that i don't own) but once i got the hang of using it i'm very glad i got it. it's good for tracking ideas, recording live performances and even cooler i can go into the middle of the bush and record nature sounds as it also takes batteries.
    keep on messing with that machine as it is great to be able to record what you want when you want and not have to pay for tape or a studio or even worse an engineer who thinks he is a producer and wants to change all your ideas into HIS ideas.
    congrats on another hill climbed!

Tobacco Worm likes this.
  5. Tobacco Worm

Yeppers, I thought I had it going a few months ago, but I needed to study more. After that, it's all down hill. Did a multitrack run last night and it was pretty cool. I know I could have done it on tape easier, but I was determined to do it with the 'pooter!

Now this new interface that should be here tomorrow is more mike friendly. Kinda silly running a mike into a big processor and then trying to get it to go without any stuff from the gizmo adding stuff I don't want! So I'm looking forward to that. And.... it has software that has multiple instruments that works with Audacity and such. Can't wait...but I gotta....but, when I get the hang of that stuff I'll be able to do stuff with the keyboard (love pipe organ, and am a huge Bach nut!! ) so I can do some symphnoic work!! That's gonna be fun I just know! :)

Thanks for having faith in me. It really helps!

Wade

Biddlin and dbb like this.
  6. Tobacco Worm

Update on the gizmo

Well just when I think I got it all figured out... Another spanner is the works! The new interface came without the added software. Ok fine. So what? What's one more disappointment right? Now I need more cables and adapters and crap. Forgot that I had used all my RCA cables and adapters getting all my redneck former in-law's big screen TVs hooked up so they all could watch monster truck mudbath nonsence and drink beer all day yelling at the screen.

Can't get the present system to work with the stuff that's in the computer half the time now and then this? I mean, I'm getting used to this now. Take one step forward and get kicked in the teeth and fall back for five. Even when I try I fail....A shorted lived victory. I'm going back to tape.........I've said this before, but I really am done with this ****. I'm too old and too tired to fool with it anymore. I glowed in the short advance, but in hindsight, it was fleeting....as is most things now....

dbb likes this.
  7. sgtbeefheart

sgtbeefheart Well-Known Member

What is the new interface?
    Might be able to find the software.

8. Tobacco Worm

Finding the softwear is not the problem. The download was posted as taking 47 hours to download! That's ludicrous. There's no softwear or intefaces or crap like that with tape. I should have known better than to think I can do digital stuff. What an idiot I am.

I did get new tubes for my little Fender amp. So I'll install them. I KNOW how to do things like that.... Now to see later if my right hand can still hold a pick long enough to play a bit. If not, I'll play "Jeff" style eh? I'm regressing each day now I suppose huh? :)

9. dbb

dbb Well-Known Member

Wade, you just need a buddy to be the engineer, and let you do the music.

Frankly the only reason I do my own engineering is that I'm cheap.

Biddlin likes this.
  10. Tobacco Worm

I was really looking forward to being able to use a multi-instrument device. I have this piece running through my head I was really wanting to put down. Lovely melody too. Could even hear the bassoon and strings working back and forth. And later, this french horn entering into the third movement is oh so sweet.....oh well.......... Guess it's not gonna happen. I suck with digital. So I'm going to forget it and move on.
    That's my new motto; "If it ain't gonna work, dump it. 'Cuz I have no more time for it now."

11. Heket

Heket Well-Known Member

It is a shame that so much software these days comes only partly on the disc or whatever that you buy. They don't account for the fact that there are still people out there who use dial-up and it takes them an age (and quite a bill) to download things. I have fibreoptic broadband (40mb/sec) so I could probably download something that size whilst making a cup of tea. I know it's good to have the latest versions available, but they should at least give something that works in your package.

I wonder.. could I download it and send a CD?

There is another option if you want to tinker with a bit of classical - Finale Notepad. It's free! The download is 97MB, but that's something that can easily be put onto CD and sent. I think! It has limitations, you can only do a max of 8 instruments at a time, the sounds are not brilliant. But it's a start! I made a little minute-long flute & cello piece using it. Let me know if you're interested.

12. dbb

dbb Well-Known Member

Great, you did a virtual piece!

Pro tools 10 came in a big box...largely empty, I'm on broadband and even then it took all day to download all the software. Not to mention no more hard copy manuals, they are all pdf's that come with the software, usually in a "documents" folder.

13. Heket

Heket Well-Known Member

Oh I hate those. As much as I am handy with a computer I hate reading large amounts of text on a screen. The manual for Cubase is 350 pages on a pdf file! Luckily I can put pdfs on my Kindle, but it isn't nearly as handy as flipping through a real one. I'm pretty sure the massive on-screen manual is the main reason I haven't really delved into Cubase yet, but hey, if Wade is making a leap into digital recording maybe I can give it another look :D

Biddlin likes this.
  14. dbb

dbb Well-Known Member

You said it! I have bough some aftermarket book/manuals for Pro Tools, since it's hard to use the program AND read a pdf file telling you how to work the program!

Biddlin likes this.
  15. Tobacco Worm

Well, Wade did make a leap alright, but it turned out to be off a digital cliff!
    AAAAAARRRRRrrrrrrrrgggggggg...............splat!:wow:

16. Biddlin

Biddlin Well-Known Member

:squint:I have a small hatred of manuals for digital devices. Make the controls analog and I'm totally asea :dunno:. I'm not without some intelligence and patience . I can navigate the internet with some proficiency and have completed courses in police procedures and forensic anthropology without great difficulty . I have printed out the owner's manual for my Vox Valvetronix amplifier . I have put the pdf up on my laptop, I have made burnt offerings and consulted oracles. A sample:

"14
    STORING YOUR PROGRAM
    When you’ve come up with a sound you like, you should store (write) the program.
    1. Press the WRITE button. The CH1 or CH2 LED will blink.
    2. Press the CH button to select the channel in which you want to store your
    program. The program will be stored in the channel whose indicator is blinking.

HINT:

If, during this process, you decide that you really don’t want to store the pro-
    gram, you can press the TAP button to cancel at this point. The LED will stop blinking,
    and you’ll return to the mode in which you were.
    3. Press the WRITE button once again. Your program will be saved in the specified channel, and the LED of the destination channel will stop blinking and remain lit.

NOTE:

The program that was previously stored in that channel will be overwritten; in
    other words, the settings that used to be stored in the channel you selected in step 2
    will be erased.

NOTE:
    The effect bypass setting isn’t stored as part of the program.

NOTE:
    If you’re creating your sound in Preset or Channel Select mode, your changes
    will disappear if you switch to a different program or to Manual mode before storing.
    CHECKING THE SETTINGS OF A PROGRAM ( ORIGINAL VALUES )
    If you want to find out exactly what settings are saved in a preset or user program, you
    can use the Original Value function.
    When you’re turning a knob to adjust the value of a parameter, and the value at that
    moment matches the value that is saved in the program (i.e., the “original value”), the
    PRESET LED will blink if you’re in Preset mode, or the channel LED will blink if you’re in Channel Select mode.

HINT:
    When you’ve found a program you like, and want to know just what settings it
    contains, simply use this Original Value function!

NOTE:
    The settings of the top panel MASTER volume and the rear panel POWER
    LEVEL controls aren’t part of the program, which means that the Original Value func-
    tion isn’t available for these knobs. Also, the Original Value function doesn’t operate in
    manual mode"

What could be simpler than that ? Loading and firing my 7.65 Argentine Mauser, for one thing:naughty:, but unlike Wade's pastoral setting, in my neighbourhood, someone would return fire, so I find the next section of the manual most useful, most often;
    " RESTORING THE FACTORY SETTINGS"
    Without looking, I can assure you my AD30VT is set on " AC 30 "
    Manual . When I accidentally set a program or effect, I refer to the above chapter . Fortunately the footswitch works with my Pathfinder or it would be useless to me .
    Biddlin ;>)/
    Sorry for the Hijack, Wade. I sure do empathize with your recording woes .

17. Tobacco Worm

Now worries mate! (a tip of the 'ole tam to our friends in Oz)

Now if you absolutely require something destroyed overnight, call upon a Ranger. Send your digital worries and woes to me and I'll blow them to pieces with heavy caliber rounds beyond all recognition! Hooah!

Just thinking about that cute little device I just got has me looking at it being a pretty good target for the 200 yard range. A little bigger than a pack of cigarettes it should be fun. :naughty:

Wade,
    Old and bent, but still able to shoot a tick off a coyote's back at a hundred yards in a strong wind and never bend a hair on the wood-puppy!:)

Biddlin likes this.
  18. Heket

Heket Well-Known Member

Biddlin' I have completely ignored the settings and presets section of my Valvetronix manual and only ever use it in manual mode and the same goes for my POD 2.0. I don't feel a great urge to use them. Manual is best!

Wade, you took a wrong turn! Digital utopia is that way. You took the left fork which took you straight off the grid into the Analogue jungle. Watch out for those tape vines! Dont let the old Betamax recorders snap your ankles!

Tobacco Worm likes this.
  19. Tobacco Worm

Aw shucks, I love it in the jungle! Tape or otherwise!:naughty:
    I just get me trusty bolo machette and get crackin'!!

The NVA or the VC never got me so I'm not worried about things like DAW, ISSO, CPU, or any other bunch of initials! If they look threatening I'll just shoot 'em!:laugh2:

Biddlin likes this.
  20. Tobacco Worm

The Mfg. of the new interface stated in the paperwork that no driver was needed as it is a plug'n'play unit. Well that was a rather large pile of processed grass through a horse! I started doing more research and found a driver download that only took a whopping 20 minutes to download, but now the gizmo is working. No multi-instrument stuff though. I can't get my unit here to download anything that takes over an hour. The multi stuff was going to take anywhere from 35 to as high as 47 hours fo download. Never gonna happen...

So what I do is I record on tape. I know that stuff well. Then do a bit of mix on tape, then dump that into the Audacity program in the 'pooter for the final mix. So I suppose one could say my stuff is "Digitally Remastered" like in the old stuff that they put on CD and call it new stuff.... In all, it's just "stuff" huh? ;)

Wade