Finally! NAD! Boss Katana 50

Discussion in 'Amps & Cabs' started by Raiyn, Feb 18, 2017.

1. Scootermuppet

Scootermuppet Well-Known Member

Point taken :smile: back to normal programming then? :thumb:

2. gball

gball Well-Known Member

Sho' is. I had to remove the chassis to change out the speaker.

[​IMG]

What I found out in the process is how well-made the amp is. Not exactly a shock for a Boss product, but it is really put together nicely and they used a proper heatsink for the output stage. The quality is pretty amazing for the price-point.

3. Raiyn

Raiyn Well-Known Member

[​IMG] I'd like to practice my arpeggios on her pentatonics. :naughty:

Sure thing.

F.Y.I.:
    C.I.L.O.K = Cats In Lieu Of Kids.
    C.B.A.G. = Cheap Bastard with Awesome Gear

Not really "clubs" as much as descriptive acronyms.
    Dude! You know the rules! ;)

Modifications need to be photo documented. In case someone wants to follow your footsteps. :D. Half-kidding

4. gball

gball Well-Known Member

Probably should have but it didn't occur to me at the time. I had the ET-65 sitting in a box unused and figured it would make a good upgrade (it did!). The chassis was very easy to remove, but the original speaker used a smaller-than-standard lug size so I decided to just solder the speaker leads. Overall a simple upgrade that made a huge difference in the sound.

5. Scootermuppet

Just a thought - was the replacement speaker already 'run in'?

I have read that new speakers need a certain amount of playing time before they sound their best?

Raiyn likes this.
  6. gball

gball Well-Known Member

The WGS only had a few hours playing time on it, at pretty moderate volume, so it was pretty close to new but it is breaking in really nicely now and sounds better every time I fire the amp up.

Raiyn and Scootermuppet like this.
  7. Raiyn

Raiyn Well-Known Member

Ten points from Gryffindor.

We come here for this stuff and stay for the lunacy......you know this! :D

8. DFLCC

DFLCC Well-Known Member

I thinking on getting one. Well it will replace my Roland Cube. I tried one this weekend and I was pleasantly impressed.

Scootermuppet and syscokid like this.
  9. Scootermuppet

and pretty compact too for the speaker sizes too...

Actually been contemplating one of the 100 watt heads - more stored patches, more top panel controls, Midi control through USB, external effects loop, can use pretty much any cab and they have a small speaker built in to the head itself for practice!

IMG_0681.JPG

(PC - don't tell @Raiyn - he'll think I'm a traitor! :shock: lol)

Raiyn likes this.
  10. Raiyn

Raiyn Well-Known Member

Naaaah. If I wouldn't get a pair of cement boots and a one way boat ride to the middle of the Gulf of Mexico to go with it, I'd have that or the 2x12.

The speaker in the head makes it more versatile in my view. Do your Yamaha lunchbox style jamming then hook it to a big ol' cab and rock the house.

11. Dave Johnson

Dave Johnson Well-Known Member

Well another has fallen victim to the seduction and lure of the little Boss Katana 50.

After playing thru Raiyn's amp a few months ago, dwelling on it for a while then reading thru 14 pages of this, that surprisingly never turned into a Katana bashing thread, quite the opposite actually.
    I pulled the trigger on one.

Seeing that I sold off my SpiderValve a couple months ago, (good riddance but should have kept the JBL that I had installed) I had an empty spot in the amp room.

I really need another amp as much as I need a root canal or a lobotomy, but why not. At $199 with free shipping I was powerless to resist.
    It will join my Marshall, Mesa, Ampeg, VHT, Hurricane, Roland and my home brew 18 watt Trinity.
    I'd say it will be in good company.

Plus I have 5 different 12" Celestion speakers just waiting for something new to infest.

It's all your fault Raiyn...

Raiyn and Scootermuppet like this.
  12. Scootermuppet

The speaker in the head is a big draw to me, not having an amp room (I'm looking at you Mr J ;)) never mind a space in one, the overall size is a bonus too. I've looked at the Yamaha, but after owning a Katana I think I might be disappointed with one...

And yes, I know the 50 is small for its wattage, but I have a serious lack of useable space here, and don't have the chance to open it up and let it rip!

Do occasionally rent a practice room with a couple of buddies, so could take the head and plug into a cab in the practice room for some High Volume jinks :D

Plus the Midi control goodness is appealing, I've had keyboards and midi gear in the past, so should be able to do some useful stuff with that....

Now to see if I can find a used one - seem a bit thin on the ground at the moment. When I do I'll be posting the Katana 50 on the forum, sadly UK only though, as international shipping cost would be prohibitive :(

13. DrBGood

DrBGood Well-Known Member

Have you thought about an attenuator for the 50 ?

14. Raiyn

Raiyn Well-Known Member

Yeah, you did seem truly impressed. I hadn't even updated the firmware or swap out some models or stored settings when you tried mine.
    The one you tried to sell me? :p . For my situation, that sucker was just too big to stash, so no harm done.
    I'd say so. Once you get the effects you like in place I'd be surprised if it wasn't your go to home amp.

SWMBO still remembers my warranty, but I look forward to hearing what you come up with.
    This one I'll happily take the blame for.

Dave's amp room is something to behold. :cheers:
    I store my amp and cables in a small bench / box thing to keep the cats from doing the Kinks mod to my gear.

I know the feeling, but the light weight makes it nice to take to my lessons.

I bought one of those Amplug 2 AC30 headphone amps to noodle around with when SWMBO's sleeping. Maintaining domestic tranquillity..... that's me.

In your situation, I can see the head being a jack-of-all-trades for you. I can't fault at all.
    Rare as Hen's teeth I'd imagine. I'm sure someone here or there will snag a broken in Katana 50. I'd return it to the stock pedal configuration before selling it though.

Last edited: Jun 21, 2017
    Scootermuppet likes this.
  15. Raiyn

Raiyn Well-Known Member

It has 0.5, 25, and 50 watt settings. Attenuation is built in baby!

Scootermuppet likes this.
  16. Raiyn

Raiyn Well-Known Member

Wait, 14?

I guess that ignore function works pretty good! I've only got 11!

Dave Johnson likes this.