Finally! NAD! Boss Katana 50

Discussion in 'Amps & Cabs' started by Raiyn, Feb 18, 2017.

1. gball

gball Well-Known Member

syscokid ain't kidding - it's one of the best speakers I have used and really affordable.

If you do decide to change the speaker, keep in mind that you will have to remove the chassis (much better build quality than I expected, BTW) and they use a weird, tiny spade lug on the negative lead that won't fit standard speaker terminals. I got around this by cutting off the terminals and soldering the wires to the speaker terminals, so my warranty is out the window, just thought you would want to know. For future reference, y'know!

2. Raiyn

Raiyn Well-Known Member

Put up too much of a fuss to get the big warranty package to screw with it.

3. Scootermuppet

Scootermuppet Well-Known Member

@Raiyn - I joined the club! :smile:

Tracked down a Katana 50 at a (fairly) local retailer after a random conversation at that guitar show!

Will add a new post, so's not to hijack yours :D

Bob

4. MetalSG

MetalSG Active Member

I wonder how the "Brown" setting sounds like. Every time I hear the phrase "Brown Sound", Van Halen 1 (a Plexi cranked to 11) comes to mind.

Last edited: Feb 26, 2017
  5. Scootermuppet

That's certainly one of the tones you can get from it - add a little phaser, and 'instant Eddie'!

There's a lot of scope for tone though, and that's just playing with the on board knobs - I'm looking forward to the online community and software tweaking ability too! Have a feeling i'll need a weekend at least to get my head around it! :shock:

The nice thing is that it's easy to get some nice tones just with the knobs, they've done their homework on the User Interface... want some drive? Twist one knob, delay? Twist another. But if you want to dig deep, the software looks like it offers a shed load of options.

For instance, you can choose which 15 pedals to store on the amp from a total of 55! And use 3 at a time for each of two 'channels' - and if you create a sound you like, you can store that too :D

6. MetalSG

MetalSG Active Member

Wow. Seems like a lot of work!. I'm more of a plug and play guy. The simpler the amp, the better. That's what I like so much about my Peavey Piranha: just three knobs - volume, gain and tone - plus a (not so) clean/crunch button. Much more limited, true, but just what I need.

7. Scootermuppet

Nah, it's easier than it sounds :smile: I'm a 'tinkerer' anyway, so that helps.

But they've made it easy to 'plug and play' too, straight from the box there's 15 effects ready to go, and dialing in a sound is pretty straightforward - takes longer to type it than do it!

Raiyn likes this.
  8. MetalSG

MetalSG Active Member

Ok. So basically, it gets complicated when you "upgrade it" with the software and get the other 40 effects?. Is the stock speaker good?.

9. MetalSG

MetalSG Active Member

If you get there you might want a more "neutral" sounding speaker that doesn't color your tone too much - perhaps something like the Celestion Classic Lead 80 or similar - WGS makes a clone.

10. Scootermuppet

Stock speaker is great for the price point, I'm sure you could fit a better one, but so far I'm very pleased with the tones coming out of it :smile:

I may be explaining it wrong, you don't have to go near a computer if you don't want to, Boss have given it a good range of effects out of the box, and seeing they make some of the best pedals out there, the sounds are pretty authentic!

But using the software and changing which 'pedals' are stored in the amp gives you way more flexibility. Plus I believe there's a Web site where you can download tones (patches?) set up by other folks - and maybe some Boss created ones too - so if you're after a particular sound, you can get it without having to spend time dialling it in yourself.

Not looked at that side of it in too much detail though, as I've been having fun playing my newly acquired LP Tribute + though it! Time permitting, I'll be checking that out soon though, so will report back.

And Raiyn has had his longer than me, so I'd guess we'll see more of his impressions soon too.

If it helps, the reason I decided on it is that it's playable from the minute you get it out of the box, but if you have the time (and inclination) it's like having access to lots of different amp models and pedal tones. You don't have to use that functionality, but I figured it would save me getting pulled in to the mad world of PAS (Pedal Aquistiion Syndrome) :D and switchable output power is handy too (0.5w, 25w and 50w).

Here's one of the videos that helped me make up my mind FWIW...

and there's another that concentrates more on the cleaner tones...

YMMV!

Bob

lcw and Raiyn like this.
  11. MetalSG

MetalSG Active Member

Uhm ... I'm afraid I will consider this amp before buying any new pedal, so I protect myself from the PAS too :) Plus, the power switching feature is very useful too.

12. Raiyn

Raiyn Well-Known Member

The power switching is very nice. I can get plenty of volume out of the half watt and all the tone of the more powerful settings. I haven't dug into the software yet, but I investigated the patches here, LINK, and came away impressed.

Scootermuppet likes this.
  13. Raiyn

Raiyn Well-Known Member

I'm holding off for the next couple years. I went out of my way to get that warranty, f'd if I'm gonna just void it on a whim!

:naughty:

My buddy @Dave Johnson offered me a Celestion and I had to graciously turn him down.

That, and SWMBO would kill me.

14. MetalSG

MetalSG Active Member

Yes, you don't want to mess up with it. Can you plug the amp into a speaker cabinet?.

15. oldrockfan

oldrockfan Well-Known Member

You guys have peaked my interest in trying this amp out but nobody seems to carry them around me. How about one of you guys posting up a quick demo so we cam hear it in action?

16. Raiyn

Raiyn Well-Known Member

It has a line level / headphone output so you could plug it into a PA system, but that's not what you're asking.

If you wanted to, I've heard of some people disconnecting their speakers, rigging a female jack to some narrow male spade connectors and hooking it up to a (some say 4 some say 8 ohm it's not in front of me right now) cab..... I make no representations of how well this works - I don't know.

If I wanted to mess with cabs, I'd have gone with the 100w head. It has some more features, including a built in (I think) 5" speaker for those times you need to practice, but the cab is too much to deal with, or you're backstage or something....

Last edited: Feb 27, 2017
  17. Scootermuppet

If I still had my PA gear, I'd have mic'd it up and made you regret asking with my terrible playing :smile:

The videos I posted earlier in the thread give a good account of the tones, they mic the amps up properly and they cut the reviewers mics, so all you hear is the amp when testing, and I'd say the video sound is pretty close - plug some headphones in if you can when you listen, usually better than PC speakers :D

Hope that helps!

Bob

18. oldrockfan

oldrockfan Well-Known Member

I'll give the videos a listen thru headphones. My pc has crappy speakers.

19. Dave Johnson

Dave Johnson Well-Known Member

Having played Raiyns amp last week, I think I can safely say it doesn't suck.
    I honestly wasn't expecting much, especially for the price but it is indeed a surprising little amp.
    The first thing that struck me is the size of this thing. It's small, but still has a full size 12" speaker.
    It's also quite light, a wonderful feature for us ageing codgers way the other side of 50.
    The cleans are clean, the power level switch adds fullness & punch.
    The lowest power setting is perfect for home noodling and keeps the overdrive settings from getting out of control.
    Speaking of overdrive, real easy to coax singing violin like sustain lead tones out of this thing with the gain knob.
    It will easily keep up with any ham fisted drummer in a jam situation.
    Never got into the downloadable stuff but the factory settings are more than enough to work with.
    The speaker held out well even at the 50 watt setting without getting flabby.
    No it's not boutique. But it's a damn sight better than similar priced amps from 20 years ago.

Would I buy one?
    In a heartbeat!

Great amp Raiyn. Enjoy that sucker.

syscokid, Raiyn and Scootermuppet like this.
  20. Scootermuppet

What he said ^^^^

:D Nice round up Dave :thumb:

My snap summary? - best amp I've owned so far (never had a tube amp tho) OK, so best SS Amp I've owned so far, mostly down to advances in technology probably, but no complaints on that score.

Bob