Finally! NAD! Boss Katana 50

Discussion in 'Amps & Cabs' started by Raiyn, Feb 18, 2017.

1. MetalSG

MetalSG Active Member

There are pretty good solid state amps (this seems to be one) and there are not so good tube amps as well. I won't mention any names, but there are a few designs out there that are anything but warm and reliable. Most likely, this amp won't "shut down and restart" in the middle of a session like a tube amp I used to have. The Boss Katana doesn't seem to have ice pick problems either. A few tube amps do, in spite of being "tube" amps (supposedly warmer).

2. Scootermuppet

Scootermuppet Well-Known Member

Guess there's good and bad on both sides of the fence :smile:

3. oldrockfan

oldrockfan Well-Known Member

hey guys didn't someone say that there was a store that had a version of the katana that came with an upgraded speaker? I have searched the threads on it but cant find it. I'm sure I just missed it but maybe someone remembers where it was?

4. Raiyn

Raiyn Well-Known Member

Thanks Dave! I will! Thanks for the corroborating review as well. It's gratifying to know that you feel I made a good choice given your superior experience in the field.

First I've heard of it. People have swapped the speaker on their own, but I haven't heard of a factory or store upgrade.

5. PeteR

PeteR Active Member

Belated 'Happy New Katana Day'

:thumb::thumb::thumb:

Raiyn likes this.
  6. Raiyn

Raiyn Well-Known Member

Thanks Pete!

PeteR likes this.
  7. gball

gball Well-Known Member

I've lived with mine for a while now and as I've learned to tweak it I think I like it better and better. Nope, not going to take the place of my Boogie, but for what I bought it for (low-volume playing around the house without having to plug in my pedalboard and a grab-and-go for the occasional casual jam sesssion) it's easily the best little amp I have owned over the years.

I will say, the speaker upgrade made an immediate and very noticeable improvement, so my comments are based on using it with the ET-65 in it, but even with the stock speaker it was the best amp of its type that I have heard. For the money there is no reason to hesitate if anyone is thinking about getting one - it'll be the best $200 you have spent on gear in a long, long time.

Scootermuppet and syscokid like this.
  8. lcw

lcw Active Member

I have the GA-FC on order for my 100... should make things even more interesting... Stupid things are on back order until the end of the month (maybe longer...)...

9. cerebral gasket

cerebral gasket Well-Known Member

Boss Katana
    Boss Tanaka

10. Scootermuppet

As of right now, if I HAD to upgrade.... It would probably be the Katana 100, just for the extra features, footpedal for patch changes (4+ knob settings - only 2+ knob settings on the 50) etc, control over midi, line out & effect loop.

I'm sure I'll get a hankering for a fully tube amp at some stage, but right now, I'm happy :smile:

11. oldrockfan

oldrockfan Well-Known Member

stopped by a different guitar center today and still no katana amps in stock to try out. :(

Offered to ship one to me when they come in but I want to just try one first... sure must be popular for them to always be sold out.

12. Raiyn

Raiyn Well-Known Member

Sweetwater is still in the same boat in regards the 50 and the 100 1x12. They have the 100 2x12 and the head available.
    I'm starting to feel fortunate that my local Sam Ash had two of the Katana 50's (one is / was) a demo. It'd be nice if Boss would give these places something more concrete to tell folks like me who were gassing super hard.

13. Scootermuppet

Situation seems to be the same over on this side of the pond too, I was just really lucky to get the one I did!

It was out on display, but they were happy to sell it to me, even got 10% off due to the relationship I've built up with the guitar shop staff :smile:

Was chatting to the manager on the phone a couple of days later (helping a friend track down a Jackson Randy Rhodes and they had one left with a great discount...) and apparently, a guy was in about an hour before I bought the Katana and was super impressed, he came back later the same day, and they had to tell him it had been sold! :shock:

I've been in his shoes many times, so I didn't feel too bad about it :smile:

shardy53 likes this.
  14. shardy53

shardy53 Active Member

You not only have to be in the right place at the right time but you also have to pull the trigger at the right moment too.

Scootermuppet likes this.
  15. Scootermuppet

^^^ most definitely! :thumb:

16. MetalSG

MetalSG Active Member

My local Sam Ash has a pretty good stock. That's where I bought my cab, and I had different options to choose from.

17. Raiyn

Raiyn Well-Known Member

I would happily live in my local Sam Ash. It's in a beautiful building and is just massive.

18. MetalSG

MetalSG Active Member

And dangerous!. I nearly took a 15 watt EVH 5150 head home. In time ...

19. Raiyn

Raiyn Well-Known Member

syscokid likes this.
  20. MetalSG

MetalSG Active Member

Now, that's a LARGE store!. Ours is not that big, but it still has an interesting offer (more than I would ever need :D ).

Raiyn likes this.