Finally! NAD! Boss Katana 50

Discussion in 'Amps & Cabs' started by Raiyn, Feb 18, 2017.

1. syscokid

syscokid Well-Known Member

2. gball

gball Well-Known Member

OK, finally got around to plugging my K50 into the computer and playing with the Tone Studio software. Definitely kind of eye-opening.

First, the software made me install a firmware update in the amp. It said there were a few bug fixes but mostly what I noticed is that the distortion tones got smoother. Nice!

Then, I realized - all of the effects are actually already in the amp, you don't have to download them as you want to change them. You have immediate access to them all and the way you can load them gives you a ton of versatility in building your signal chain. The software even allows you to change where the effects fall in the chain. Nice!

The quality of the effects, both through the speaker and cans, are really impressive. I guess I should have expected that from Boss, but these models really do sound like the real thing and within the software you have the ability to adjust all of the same parameters as the actual pedal, plus some others. Nice!

Gotta hand it to Boss. They included versions of pedals that are not even theirs (Tube Screamer, Rat, UniVibe, etc.) and some sound amazing - the TS is my new default OD! - plus some if the weirder Boss offerings. Lots of bases covered in there. Nice!

For those that have not tried the TS software, you need to check it out. It's not essential to enjoy the amp, but there is a lot to explore and it lets you get the most out of the Katana.

Dave Johnson and syscokid like this.
  3. syscokid

All this for $200? Pretty amazing! Even with the cost of an upgrade of speaker... :thumb:

gball likes this.
  4. gball

gball Well-Known Member

Dude, seriously...this thing has turned out to be one of the best gear purchases I have ever made, regardless of price. And to think, I practically bought it on a whim. I understand why the stores are having trouble keeping them in stock.

5. Raiyn

Raiyn Well-Known Member

I seriously need to get on that. Unfortunately, most of my free time has been quiet time. I was fortunate to have the time to rewire my axe, now I need to find time to rejigger my effects!

That price'd be my domestic tranquillity.

I knew I wanted one when I saw it on Anderton's. I'm glad I followed my instincts on this, because I had been looking at a couple of Spyders.

gball and Scootermuppet like this.
  6. Raiyn

Raiyn Well-Known Member

Seriously. I used the exterior of the place for amateur photo shoots with an old girlfriend back in the day. We used film in those days......

I hadn't ever been inside until I got back into guitars though.

Last edited: Mar 6, 2017
    syscokid likes this.
  7. Dude. Beer.

Dude. Beer. New Member

You've piqued my attention. I'm a new member, having trouble finding a decent tube amp that I can use in my bedroom without annoying the neighbors but so far, no dice. I'm convinced at this point that my tube days are over, since I don't gig and there aren't many amp techs in my area that I'm aware of. Every tube amp seems to blow the roof off the place. I'm looking for the most convincing tube emulation possible, preferably on the more vintage side, as I play a lot of older Aerosmith. At the moment I'm using a Marshall Code 50. It's an okay amp, but it sounds very digital. I also have an EVH LBX head and cab but to be honest It sounds like dog crap.

I was considering trading both for a Freidman Runt 20, but something tells me that I'll end up with an amp that needs new tubes, a new speaker, or both, or an amp that sounds great as is, provided I'm able to crank it to a volume which shakes the house and angers my neighbors. I'm in a duplex.

If you know anything about the Marshall Code, how would you say the K50 compares?

Thank you.

8. Scootermuppet

Scootermuppet Well-Known Member

Haven't tried a marshall code, but it was the second option on my amp list when researching them

They have an app to let you control the amp remotely, but I wonder if it's at the expense of the tones...?

Watched many videos of both amps and the Katana, for me, came out on top. I think Boss's experience in the pedal world gives them the edge, they went for function over form by not going down the app route - hell , you can still plug it in and tweak the settings / effects - and they went more for ease of use.

It really is easy to get some great tones just by turning a couple of knobs on the amp - old school? Maybe, but in that case, colour me old school :smile:

I love you can geek out when it's USB'd up, but don't have to step through 25 menus to change something while you're playing.

Just my personal view - YMMV :thumb:

9. MetalSG

MetalSG Active Member

Boss and it's parent company, Roland, have released nice amps lately. I've read a rave review of the Roland Blues Cube in another forum.

10. syscokid

Welcome to ETSG... :cheers:

Interesting member name and presentation: Dude period Beer period :cool:

Dude. Beer. likes this.
  11. MetalSG

MetalSG Active Member

Welcome to the site. Tube amps can be problematic if they're not designed and manufactured by trustworthy brands (my experience, at least). There are a few options you can consider for bedroom playing: a Vox Lil Night Train (2 watts) a Blackstar HT1R H (1 watt) or a Marshall DSL5 Combo (5 watts switchable to 1 watt). As an alternative, you can buy hybrid amps, e.g. Orange Micro Terror or either a Peavey 6505 Piranha/Orange Micro Dark if you would like to have more gain available on tap. All these are rated at 20 watts, but their power section is Solid State, and they only generate 10 watts with 16 ohms speakers. So they can be used as bedroom amps. Source: I own the Peavey and I have briefly played a Micro Terror.

12. Raiyn

Raiyn Well-Known Member

If you want to control your amp via a phone or tablet, like the CODE, the Katana ain't your baby. That said, there is a TON of sounds in this puppy. Including non-Boss tones like a Tube Screamer and a Pro Co Rat. I've found a rotary speaker effect, ring mod and all kinds of cool stuff in here. This amp does a few things, but does them WELL.

Now to swerve this train back on the tracks.......

I've finally had a chance to tinker with the Tone Studio software, and while there are fewer patches available for the amps than there are for the pedal boards (sorta disappointing, but understandable) there's plenty to play with.

I've applied "Pink Wall" and "Fear The Dark" to my CH1 & CH2. I've also swapped the Blues Drive for a "T-Scream" and the "T-Wah" for a "Rotary" just for the heck of it.

13. DrBGood

DrBGood Well-Known Member

But ... we can't hear anything !

14. Raiyn

Raiyn Well-Known Member

DrBGood likes this.
  15. DrBGood

Wow ... you're good !

16. Raiyn

Raiyn Well-Known Member

At finding stuff online, well yeah......:naughty:

DrBGood likes this.
  17. DrBGood

You really have me looking into that amp now.

Gotta sell the Handsome Devil and the Super Champ X2.
    Hey ... who would trade a Katana 50 for my Blackheart. Think about it ...

Raiyn likes this.
  18. Raiyn

Raiyn Well-Known Member

I'm good. ;)

DrBGood likes this.
  19. Dude. Beer.

Dude. Beer. New Member

Thank you!

Raiyn likes this.
  20. gball

gball Well-Known Member

The Katana is a great bedroom amp and has absolutely exceeded my expectations, but isn't quite kicking tubes out of my house just yet. If you are lusting for a tube amp there really is still no substitute.

I solved my low-volume tube amp problem with a Mesa Boogie Mark 5:25:
    http://www.mesaboogie.com/amplifiers/electric/mark-series/mark-five-25/index.html

I can get any sound I need out of this amp, it is super compact and portable, more than enough power for a gig and built like a battlelship (it is a Mesa after all). It even has the built-in CabClone for headphones/recording.

Not cheap but not crazy expensive either. Can't say enough good things about it - check one out if you have the chance. I love mine so much I am giving serious thought to picking up a Mini-Rectifier which has the same power section.

syscokid likes this.