Finally working with someone on music.

Discussion in 'The Backstage' started by Metal89, Oct 3, 2016.

1. Metal89

Metal89 Well-Known Member

image.jpg Ok so months ago I posted how my friend talked me up to this guy that's supposedly working with Warner Brothers.

Well tonight I finally got to work with the guy on his song idea. His studio is in the works right now so we hashed things out in his bedroom. Guy was real cool and all but I could tell he was a bit apprehensive at first. My guess was its because I consider myself to be primarily a metal player while he's primarily doing soul music.

So I plug my gear in. Using my 2013 70's tribute, going through my metal muff which is dialed back, reverb pedal, and my gut told me to use my Peavy 15 watt amp. I tuned my axe and then he explained what he was really wanting to go for in the song.

Everything sounded pretty solid and straight forward. So I decided to switch to my neck pickup and I did a few heavy riffs just to get a feel for the tone I basically pulled straight out of my arse on the spot.

He absolutely fell in love with the tone. So he hummed out what he was wanting to go for and after I clarified with him on the specifics (which part he wanted to be single notes and which part he wanted to be chords), it wasn't a minute and I was playing exactly what he wanted.

So we worked out the intro, then the verse. Pretty simple stuff, nothing complicated but I have to admit it was sounding good, the guy can really sing and I really liked the lyrics.

He had to take care of something via text real quick so I decided to play with this tone a bit and did a really heavy riff. He started coming up with lyrics on the spot and got really excited about it and asked me to keep playing it. He recorded it for us to use later.

I did another riff in a hard rock/less heavy metal and same thing, he started singing to it and recorded it.
    He was absolutely loving the stuff I was coming up with on the spot.

So we worked longer on the song and got pretty much the basics of it hashed out, he recorded it on the phone in sections to send to me so I can refine my timing. He has a section in the song that's decently long that he wants me to rip a solo on.

But all in all it went really well, I was a bit nervous at first because this music is out of my norm, but everything just seemed to mesh scarily well.

So while this song isn't quite my type of music, he's demonstrated he wants to do heavier pieces in the future. He started talking about me playing live with him and there will be money in it for me.

So I guess on a technicality I might be a step closer to being "professional" musician soon... Depending on how you look at it

2. DrBGood

DrBGood Well-Known Member

Woohoo ! That sounds exciting !

Metal89 likes this.
  3. JohnnyGoo

JohnnyGoo Well-Known Member

Thats great,congrats

Metal89 likes this.
  4. jtcnj

jtcnj Well-Known Member

Yes EXCITING is the word!!
    Congrats and good luck on wherever this leads.

Metal89 likes this.
  5. Metal89

Thanks guys! I'm definitely excited and hey, if I do start playing live shows and making decent money, it wouldn't be hard to justify my gear. Lol!!!

eS.G. likes this.
  6. eS.G.

eS.G. Well-Known Member

WOW ----CONGRATS MAN ---- I KNEW YOU would get it!!!!

Well done!!! ......now go kick some ass ---er break legs......or stab prostitutes or something FUN and emotionally rewarding ;)

Metal89 likes this.
  7. Metal89

Haha!! Thanks Es.g your faith means a lot to me! :) thanks for all the support guys! Still going to be working on my instrumental album, it's just about done. I'm really thinking about album art and how to promote it... Don't think slapping one of my army ranks on it would do anything, so that idea is out of the window...

And for Christmas I really want to do my own cover of Charol of the Bells. So musically I got a lot on my plate

8. frankd

frankd Well-Known Member

My best friends first gig was with a R&B and soul band in acres homes Juneteenth festival.
    Congrats Id rather be doing R&B and soul than country myself.

Metal89 likes this.
  9. Metal89

Thanks! It's definitely different from my norm, not really something I was looking to get into but if it gets my foot in the door and I can do my metal stuff on the side, then sweet!

I know there's a lot of rock and metal artists that didn't start out gigging in rock and metal, so I'm keeping an open mind and seeing where this goes.

Everyday brings something new and I'm just ecstatic that a guy that does a lot of gigs for a living wants me to work with him purely on the fact he thinks I'm really good at what I do.

Last edited: Oct 6, 2016
  10. frankd

frankd Well-Known Member

You might find out your a a R&B blues and soul player .myself I find it much more interesting than metal
    But that's just me LOl.

Metal89 likes this.
  11. alexander paul

alexander paul Well-Known Member

doing new stuff outside of your comfort zone will broaden you musical pallet & skill set... i dig doing sessions which makes me play every style of music but opera & i engineered opera...had the damnedest time getting them to sing into the microphone...

[​IMG]

Bettyboo and Metal89 like this.
  12. Metal89

Haha! I wouldn't mind doing a heavy riff for an opera singer, wouldn't be the first time that's been done.

Nah, I'm going to stick with this guy a bit and see what happens like I said, he really liked the heavy stuff I was doing when messing around so I'm interested to see how he would like to use the two riffs I gave him.

I couldn't pull off country, I tried jacking around and making a countryish riff... Turned into southern rock sounding.

13. smitty_p

smitty_p Well-Known Member

That's a problem?

Metal89 likes this.
  14. Metal89

Nah, just proved to me I can't do country. Not that I really wanted to, but was just seeing if I could :p

15. Bettyboo

Bettyboo Well-Known Member

Good stuff Metal89 - making music must be good. :dude:

Metal89 likes this.
  16. alexander paul

i'm tracking some crazy hot country players & i'm working on playing it but it's hard for me to stay focused & not start heavy shredding... some country songs have a latin/flamencos feel & that's up my alley...

[​IMG]

Metal89 likes this.
  17. alexander paul

here is
    here is the album i was talking about... https://bobrandall.hearnow.com/

i played one of the 2 acoustic tracks on every song, about 1/3rd of the bass & 20% of the solos... you started a fire is what i was talking about...

[​IMG]

Metal89 likes this.