First Build (SG-esque design)

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by PermissionToLand, Feb 21, 2018.

1. DrBGood

DrBGood Well-Known Member

Those are all new pickguards for each version ?

2. PermissionToLand

PermissionToLand Well-Known Member

Just two versions; bigger upper left bout and smaller. Both have the larger lower right corner.

DrBGood likes this.
  3. PermissionToLand

Okay, more revisions!

So first, the same basic idea I've been refining, now with the top bevel no longer hiding under the fretboard end:

IMG_2919med.jpg

Of course, this threw off the upper bass bout shape. I should have anticipated that. But now I can bring the large curve along that side closer and more parallel with the bevel. So that will be the next move here.

Next, is the idea that I had entertained for a while but never seriously considered; wrapping it around the fretboard edge.

IMG_2921med.jpg

It certainly looks weird at first, but it is surprisingly growing on me. I need to perfect the curve of the upper bass bout and I want to remove the beveled edge around the fretboard, though.\

IMG_2921med.jpg

Last edited: May 20, 2019
  4. DrBGood

It's getting better all the ti-ime ...

PermissionToLand likes this.
  5. Silvertone

Silvertone Active Member

It's funny I looked at the first picture and thought that pick guard should extend a little further up the neck. Then I thought you should get rid of the bevel at the edge where it meets the neck. I think it looks great.

Have you considered following the bevel exactly with the edge of the pick guard. My eye is drawn to the point at the cut away and it seems the shape does not match and the point would actually hang out in space. Sometimes even when something is designed a certain way it just looks like a mistake. It could happen when it is close but not too close. If you want to have it not follow the bevel carve there has to be another design aspect that it follows. I would also just drill for the bridge studs. This may be something you will do down the road but IMO a continuous bevel would look better there. Again it just attracts the eye and the brain immediately says mistake.

Cheers Peter.

PS - the more I look at it the more I do not mind the pick guard not matching the bevel outline. It maybe should be a bit more off or have it relate to something else? I'm not sure the solution but do not think it is 100% there yet. I think you are very close though. It's cool to watch a design morph and shape. Great job.

6. Lunacy the Faded

Lunacy the Faded Active Member

I really like whats going on here!!

7. PermissionToLand

About the horn tip: the paper I printed these on was particularly thin and prone to bending/curling so the horn tips on both ended up curling upward. That's why they look off in these photos. Bridge studs are also cut out because it's just a paper mockup. I agree, it would look weird if they were done that way on the final version! Haha

Last edited: May 20, 2019
    Silvertone likes this.
  8. DrBGood

Ahhh ... paper ...

Then another adjustment I see would be to not have the part that butt the fretboard come in at 90°. Keep that nice soft going curve all the way to the edge, like the bevel does.

9. PermissionToLand

Actually, I realized after the fact that it comes in beyond 90 degrees, tucking inward a little. I think fixing that will be what it needs, because the body shape meets the neck at 90 degrees. I may also try mimicking the bevel though.

DrBGood likes this.
  10. PermissionToLand

Okay, finally getting there I think. I am leaning back toward the original design that doesn't wrap around the fretboard.

First of all, on both, I tucked in the horn tip a little to follow the beveling better.

Before:

IMG_2881m.jpg

After:

IMG_2933m.jpg

On this one, I pulled the top left bout down and out a little to follow the bevel at a more consistent distance, and it also happened to round out the shape nicely.

IMG_2932m.jpg

With that one, I think my next move will be pulling the bottom right side out a little to meet the bevel perfectly and pull the top up a little to hide the beveling under the fretboard and make it look just a little less squished.

The next one, I got rid of the bevel around the fretboard and massaged the upper left bout a little (in addition to the horn tip):

IMG_2930m.jpg

I am leaning away from this now because while it works well with the upper left body lines, it really draws attention to the space over the neck pickup with all that blank space. I may try pulling the top down to the last fret.

HackeIommi likes this.
  11. DrBGood

I bet you didn't expect the pickguard to be such a project :facepalm: :fingersx:

I think that last horn tip is the one that works.

On this one, I really like how this upper bout flows with the whole side of the guitar. Very fluid line and it makes the guitar look stockier, fatter. It kind of balance out the vertical lines of all that chrome.

[​IMG]

12. PermissionToLand

Haha, in some ways yes and in some ways no. I spent a lot of time getting the body shape right and also working on pickguard designs from the beginning. I'm a designer anyway so it's in my nature to pay attention to small aesthetic details. That's why I admire McCarty's work so much; he clearly put a lot of thought into his designs.

Thanks for the comments

DrBGood likes this.
  13. DrBGood

I just noticed you have a LP Ultra. I love mine. No desire whatsoever to get another carved top LP. This is what a LP should be like.

Last edited: Jun 26, 2019
  14. PermissionToLand

Okay, nearing the end here!

Brought the top up under the fretboard and right lower corner out to follow beveling:

IMG_2936m.jpg

Brought the top down on this one:

IMG_2937m.jpg

And now I am back to favoring the second one again...

Last edited: Jun 28, 2019
    DrBGood likes this.
  15. DrBGood

What I liike about the lower top, is the flow of that gradual tapering curve. It's more organic to my eye.

IMG_2936m.jpg
    I would also lessen of a few milimeters, the curve right under the bridge, so it clears it. It conflictual as it is.

16. PermissionToLand

Interesting, I was leaning toward the other because it was more consistent at the top. I hadn't thought of it as tapering. There is so much to consider...

The bottom is actually pretty typical for SGs anyway:

[​IMG]