First guitar build, SG Clone

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by satchmodog, Jan 28, 2017.

1. satchmodog

satchmodog Member

Hello kids,

I built a blacked out Fender Jazz copy last year and was fairly happy with my results, and I learned so much on what not to do.

Since Badass bridges are impossible to find for less than your first born, I went with the Omega. I really like this bridge if you're ever looking for a bass bridge. I won't get into the rest of the details since that's not why I am posting on an SG forum, other than the pickups by Dominger. Good God does this couple make great sounding pups.
    [​IMG]
    Jazz bass clone. I'm going to repaint it this coming summer.
    I was thinking about a bass with humbuckers, but decided to do a guitar next since I bought a set of single coils from them for this beat up Strat last year and so loved the tones. Joce(the owner hooked me up with the Gilmour tones I wanted and with some new paint, a new trem and pick guard, we were set.
    [​IMG]
    So now I bought an SG kit that's all Mahogony and basically threw away everything save the neck and body. Even the pickguard was made of manure. I;m not sure if the bridge is worth keeping or not. Does the bridge and tailpiece really matter on the Gibsons so much? My two Les Paul's are a Gibson Custom and an Epiphone Custom Pro and they don't really sound too much different and the Epiphone has more sustain, everywhere.

So, I am asking for advice on which tuners to purchase, the bridge and tailpiece either keeping or replacing and what to do with the neck. I have to carve the headstock and paint it, but I was wondering what looks better, a poly neck, painted neck one tone or a red neck with a black face on the head, so feel free to post your guitar necks.
    The pickups and custom covers are on order and I already have the vintage wiring, switch and push pull Bourn pots. So please, give me any advice and feedback you have :)

[​IMG]
    wood filled grain with plastic wood
    [​IMG]
    Red Zinc primer

2. Scootermuppet

Scootermuppet Active Member

Now there's an unusual finish right there! :naughty:

Good luck with the build, would try it myself, but too busy enjoying the 'instant hit' of an NGD via Ebay & the like :D

Maybe when I retire....

3. WallaceWinston

WallaceWinston Active Member

Looks good. I had a badass 2 on a fender about 10 years ago, I think I liked the bridge more than the bass lol. I can't believe their hard to find now!

4. satchmodog

satchmodog Member

thanks man. You should give it a shot. Some of the kits are rather inexpensive or you can just buy bodies and necks. Either way, it's a fun and somewhat relaxing project. You can really get into it and get super detailed and dump thusands into equipment or not. Either way, it takes me months because I don't have much free time and do buy good parts to replace the manure the kit sent. As far as the finish goes, it's actually Ford Red zinc based auto primer. It's thick as hell and you can wet sand it to glass smooth :smile:

5. satchmodog

satchmodog Member

If you ever get the inling for another bridge, the Omega bridges are like 50 bucks and come in chrome or black. The one thing that did honk me off were the lack of saddle grooves. I had to drag out the Dremel and make my own grroves, which was nice and messy with this fine dust everywhere. But yeah, the originals and the 2 are going for well over 100 on most sites. Any not in that price range and I'd worry about counterfeit.

6. Scootermuppet

Sounds like I'm in the same boat as you! Need an 8 day week at the minute :facepalm:

Sounds like a great way to relax too!

I'd be tempted to lacquer the primer! :naughty: Such a nice shade...

satchmodog likes this.
  7. satchmodog

satchmodog Member

I have considered it. But there's a quart of red auto paint sitting in my office that I can't return now, sooooo off we go to the sprayer soon

Biddlin likes this.
  8. Scootermuppet

Even better!

9. Lynurd Fireburd

Lynurd Fireburd Active Member

Followed your advice & came to check you out from satellites thread.

I asked this question of a fellow member on another forum today regarding his LP build. Why not glue it up before finishing? Your going to have glue seeping all over your new finish? I'd have pre-assembled everything (obviously not electronics) sans finish to make sure neck angle is good, bridge placement is accurate, etc.

Still, this is looking good. You'll get out what you put in.

What color auto paint have you got?

I say a SG needs Kluson style tuners.
    I'd add to keep the pg as a template for your screw holes IF the body is already pre-drilled, which it doesn't seem to be.

satchmodog likes this.
  10. satchmodog

satchmodog Member

I picked up Ford Red auto paint. I was going to do the polyester finish on that bass, but the woman I talked to in Illinois who does repair work for Washburn told me to go with auto paint instead, it's far more forgiving. I haven't ordered the tuners as of yet, but those are in my shopping cart. I can't believe they didn't drill the bridge or tailpiece on this thing. Most other kits I've seen like this for Gibsons have been at least tapped. When I had to run the bridge ground for that bass I needed to tap a hole, so I went to a forum and got what I thought was sound advice. A guy insisted you needed a 12" bit to properly tap a line to the bridge. Well, a bit that long is impossible to stop from diving and it bored its way through the back of the body. I later went with the six inch bit the guy he shot down recommended and voila, it worked just damn fine. I curse him daily

Lynurd Fireburd likes this.
  11. SG John

SG John Well-Known Member

I hope that you masked the neck mortise really well, and plan on doing some cleaning. Otherwise, the glue won't stick very well when you join the neck.

Looks nice so far. Can't wait to see more.

satchmodog likes this.
  12. satchmodog

satchmodog Member

I didn't tape it as well as I should have, so it needs a little sanding. I didn't realize how fine the tolerances were with some of this stuff. I bolted the neck on that bass, ran a string and it was fine. Took it apart, primed, sanded and panted it, then clear coat. Well, guess what? The damn primer built so much it flattened my strings across my pickups. I had to sand that neck pocket out with 50 grit. What a pain in the ass

13. Satellitedog

Satellitedog Member

I can't add much to the conversation just yet, but I'm watching the build! Cool color choice, hope it ends up clean.

satchmodog likes this.
  14. satchmodog

satchmodog Member

I'm not the apprehensive type, but drilling the bridge and tailpiece have colored me a tad concerned. At least with the Fender and Badass type bridges there was room to screw the pooch, here there is no room for error.

If you see a news story from the states about a Wisconsin man setting the world record for eating cheese curds and consuming spotted cow ale and muttering about his tailpiece, that's me :smile:

Satellitedog likes this.
  15. SG John

SG John Well-Known Member

Here's some useful info on mounting bridges when you get to that point.

Attached Files:

jtcnj and satchmodog like this.
  16. jtcnj

jtcnj Well-Known Member

That is just what I was looking for too.

Good luck on the build!