First SG: some mods questions

Discussion in 'Epiphone SG' started by FoldedWilderness, Jan 2, 2018.

Tags:
  1. bchaffin72

bchaffin72 Member

As far as the nut goes, it depends on whether or not you're having tuning stability issues. On mine, I was, badly. I probably could have cleaned up and lubed the plastic nut to make that go away, but I wanted the aesthetics of a black nut anyway, so I put the black Tusq XL on it. No problems since.

2. Raiyn

Raiyn Well-Known Member

Mine wasn't as bad, the typical D&G issue everyone knows about. I found a good price on one so it ended up being a "since I'm going to have it apart" type of deal.
    I feel better having done it.

3. dub-setter

dub-setter Well-Known Member

changed mine to a bone nut
    due to slightly tuning issues and "pings"

a g 400 is a great guitar, though i might do some modding
    to get out the "best " of it
    plus its a lot of fun...:smile:

Raiyn likes this.
  4. FoldedWilderness

FoldedWilderness New Member

UPDATE: The 3-way toggle switch on my SG was disconnecting the neck pickup from the slightest touch, when it was set to middle.

[​IMG]
    The one on top is like mine. What happened is that the inner connection was too bent towards the inside, so it would lose connection as soon as the switch moved even a little, instead of "moving out" some with the outer tab, to stay connected until it is close to fully toggled.
    I don't know if I explain it well but, it turns out it was an easy fix and everything works as expected now.

From what I've gathered from your suggestions, it seems like I might look into changing the nut and maybe the bridge & tail. I'll most likely wait several months to do either one, so I can get used to it as it is now and get a better appreciation of what effect it makes. Oh, and adjusting the pickup heights this weekend.
    For now, back to practicing basic scales...

5. Raiyn

Raiyn Well-Known Member

I do love a simple fix. :cheers:

dub-setter and FoldedWilderness like this.
  6. jvin248

jvin248 Active Member

Be wary of 'changing the nut'. People do that but don't really know how to set up the nut and have tuning problems after; which they blame the tuning machines and change those, then blame something else. Never the new nut install because they think because they 'upgraded the nut already' that it can't be the problem. They can never solve it and sell the guitar off for cheap. Next guy is on a forum for a NGD ...

Fret the third fret and check the gap at the first fret, you should only be able to slide one or two pieces of paper between. Cutting the slots at the wrong angle can make a 'sitar sound' or too tight bind the strings. I have seen some fancy nuts grip the strings more than the cheap (hard) abs. If the measurement above works ok then get an HB or No2 pencil and a knife to shave graphite into each slot under the strings. You will be better served than just replacing parts.

I'd go up and down the fretboard with a fret rocker (or credit card) over three frets at a time next to each string and put a sharpie dot at the top of every fret that lets the card rock as a high point. If you have a bunch of those all over the fretboard then you might want to pay the $100 for a pro fret level (which includes the $50 deep setup already recommended). Your guitar will play like one priced at thousands after that.

Watch the youtube videos Daves World Of Fun Stuff and the 'joe walsh gibsonuk setup' videos for how to set your pickup tones.

Col Mustard and FoldedWilderness like this.
  7. DrBGood

DrBGood Well-Known Member

Hours of fun !

So much good info here. Saves $$$ better spent elsewhere.

FoldedWilderness likes this.
  8. FoldedWilderness

@jvin248 : What you are said makes a lot of sense. I had already decided to let time pass before making any changes and you helped reinforce that idea.

9. ydrive

ydrive Member

I made some mods to my G400 that weren't needed, but I wanted to do anyways. I changed the tuners from the stock tombstone to vintage looking keystones, merely cosmetic, and changed the pickups to Iron Gear's lower output Rolling Mills, which I thought gave more bite over the stock pickups. It's up to you how much $$$ you want to throw at it.

Attached Files:

10. FoldedWilderness

@ydrive Your new tuners look exactly like the ones on the current g-400 pro now, which I really like.
    I like the sound of my stock pickups but then again, I'm new so I don't play well enough for it to matter much at all yet.

11. DrBGood

DrBGood Well-Known Member

Lucky you, I'm used.

12. dub-setter

dub-setter Well-Known Member

those "alnico pro" pick ups
    are not the worst ones...

if u learn more about your guitar /playing/amp etc.,
    you may want to change
    them to your personal preference..
    (duncans /gibson / di marzio etc.)

sames goes for tuners etc...
    (as long you don t have any serious probems )