Flanger vs. Chorus?

Discussion in 'Effects' started by Clifdawg, Jan 11, 2017.

1. Clifdawg

Clifdawg Active Member

Hey guys, I've always played live with modeling amps and used built-in digital effects for whatever I needed at the time. However, having moved to a Peavey Bandit with the front end pushed by a Fulltone OCD pedal, I think it's high time I start building a pedalboard proper. I'm doing a simple DIY here - essentially, an old cabinet shelf painted black with rubber feet, soon to have simple cabinet handles mounted on each side for easy lifting, and the pedals stuck down by velcro. Quick, dirty, but highly effective so far.

[​IMG]

I'm using a One Spot for power, and I've got space for five pedals. I know I will get a delay pedal (probably a cheap Donner Yellow Fall until I can get the dough up for a Digitech Obscura) and a tremolo pedal in the future. I've never liked phasers, and reverb is built into the amp, so neither of those concern me.

However, whenever I play clean (and I play clean pretty often at church live), I almost always use just a touch of chorus to round out the sound - I keep it pretty subtle. But I also like the way flangers sound, especially when I kick on some OD, but it's not often I do.

I want to keep things cheap and easy for now, so I'm kinda torn on whether or not to get a chorus or flanger. I'm really interested in the Joyo Classic Flanger, because it has four knobs and can be adjusted to increase the delay time and reduce the mix to kind of simulate chorus, but it's still not the same... Does anyone else use a four-knob flanger (such as a Boss flanger) for chorus sounds? If so, is it an acceptable substitute? Or should I just forgo the once-in-a-blue-moon 90's cheeseball flange effect and go straight for a more usable chorus?

2. Sweetums

Sweetums Active Member

The Nux Mod Core has chorus AND flanger, 2 versions of each actually and lots of other modulation effects. Not bad at under $40.

3. Dave_Death

Dave_Death Well-Known Member

You can get chorus sounds with an MXR four-knob flanger like the EVH flanger. They are 18V though.

Out of choruses I can recommend the MXR Analog Chorus / Black Label Chorus. If you want a real chorus sound I think this is the best option.

The Boss PS-6 Harmonist also does a chorus effect with the detune setting. It can go quite wide, like the chorus sounds you can get out of a good flanger.

4. zisme

zisme Well-Known Member

i use (and love) the electro-harmonix electric mistress, which combines chorus and flanger
    [​IMG]

on my live board i use the one included in my ehx epitome (holy grail+ reverb, electric mistress, micro pog)
    [​IMG]

Sweetums likes this.
  5. deMelo

deMelo Well-Known Member

I never bonded with my Flanger or Chorus (both BOSS).

And one never replaced the other.

6. DrBGood

DrBGood Well-Known Member

That IS a nice pedal !

7. Kep

Kep Active Member

What about a Tremolo? Might add a nice subtle color to your sound.

To me Chorus sounds really 1985.

Sweetums likes this.
  8. Tony M

Tony M Well-Known Member

What's your budget?
    I say neither.
    If you can afford it look into a Keeley 30 MS double tracker.
    It will chorus.
    It will double track.
    It will slapback.
    It will reverb.
    It will detune and delay the detuned part (flanging).

deMelo likes this.
  9. Clifdawg

Clifdawg Active Member

Considering the relatively frequency that I will use thing, I'm worried about the reliability of NUX products (seems there are a lot of reports of sudden, catastrophic failure a couple months into use). Still... For that little dough it's tempting to give it a shot and just chunk it if it goes bad. Of course, I'm cross shopping Joyo products, so what do I know? Lol.
    I wasn't aware the Electric Mistress did both! I love EH's typically dark and murky-sounding modulations... If I don't go with the Digitech Obscura delay, I want to use a Memory Toy, because I love it's lo-fi sound and built in delay modulation. I might consider springing for this if I can find one in the wild to toy with.

I will definitely be using an inexpensive, dedicated tremolo pedal in the future... It's key to nailing some of those dirty Southern rock rhythms I throw in now and again. As far as chorus sounding like 1985... It's the one sound from 1985 I can't stop loving! :rofl:

That's a bit out of my price range, as my entire amp/effects rig so far has a total of about 360 bucks all-in. Besides the delay, I want to get all my modulation needs taken care of for less than a hundred. :thumb:

Thanks for all the ideas! I've got some over-thinking and over-researching to do.

zisme likes this.
  10. Scootermuppet

Scootermuppet Well-Known Member

More pedals than a pedal shop full of pedals - discovered these guys on YouTube and am fascinated by the sheer number of amazing boxes of tone available today :smile: Jeez, I sound so old! hehe!

https://www.youtube.com/thatpedalshow

Enjoy!

Bob

11. Dave_Death

Yeah I wouldn't trust Nux products after reading reports on their delays ... MXR, Boss, and Earthquaker Devices I can recommend as very durable. Boss pedals you eventually have to replace that grommet around the screw, but you can buy a pack of those on eBay. The Boss Wazacraft pedals are generally very nice, but pricey. MXR is usually best value for money.

12. Dave_Death

Here's a photo of my board, showing the three options for chorusing (outlined in red). Theoretically the expression pedal might be able to control the detune effect, although in the manual it only mentions it with regard to the S-bend effect. I know it operates several effects in a DD-7 Digital Delay. The chorus and harmonist pedals both have stereo options, and this changes how the chorus works in terms of how it pans between the two amps.

[​IMG]

Here's a video of the PS-6 detune setting:

This is a good demo of an MXR flanger:

The chorus, including some more metal applications:

Last edited: Jan 12, 2017
    Notes69 and Clifdawg like this.
  13. bwotw

bwotw Well-Known Member

My old Boss FL2 flanger did a very, very good chorus sound with the regen knob down. It was subtle and cool, but had too much hiss for my taste... Of course, the flanger sounds were great and it could self oscillate into total madness. I miss the pedal and might get another pretty soon.

14. dexspeed

dexspeed Member

I recently picked up a chorus pedal after avoiding buying one for years (BOSS CE-5). That paired with my tubescreamer is definitely seeing way more use than my flanger pedal has in the past year, but then again, I am a sucker for that 80s sound. I suppose it really all comes down to what you are planning on using it for and what your sound goals are. I don't touch my Flanger much unless I'm looking to enhance a solo or something very specific - I find it's a bit of a niche pedal really. I'm definitely finding more practical applications for the chorus pedal.

You should probably spend some time in a store doing the old A-B comparison and decide for yourself which one you can or can't live without.

15. Scootermuppet

Scootermuppet Well-Known Member

...Or there's this?*

IMG_0126.JPG

(*other Chorus / Flanger pedals are available :smile:)

Bob

Sweetums likes this.
  16. Dave_Death

Actually I was just sitting on the couch last night with my Explorer stuffing around, playing Godflesh type chords and arpeggios and getting some sick pinch harmonics ... I could tell that I had left an effect on and thought it might have been just my reverb and one of my delays but when I got up off the couch I saw that it was my Black Label Chorus ...

Then I thought ... Zakk Wylde signature pedal, crazy pinches, that fits ...

17. Six String

Six String Moderator Staff Member

I love my Stereo Chorus and have for some time. As a rhythm player, it adds a great deal of fullness to my sound. I don't remember how I stumbled on it, but I found that by adding a second chorus pedal to my effects chorus, it gives a great sound. That is further enhanced when I play the 12 string thru it. :cool:

18. Clifdawg

Clifdawg Active Member

Thanks for the input, everyone!

I decided, for the price, to go ahead and order the Joyo flanger, because I've not really played with a flanger, having always hated the built-in effect in my digital amps... This will give me a reason to learn how to use one properly in the absence of a chorus. That said, I've decided to add an EHX Memory Toy delay to the chain, which has a chorus effect to the delay, and having very much enjoyed the samples I heard of the EHX Stereo Electric Mistress, I will likely upgrade to that down the road.

19. plankton

plankton Member

20. Dave_Death

Should be able to do what you want as long as it has the four usual knobs

Clifdawg likes this.